G2B's Goal Based Training

Green2Blue

G2B's Goal Based Training

Post by Green2Blue »

So I'll answer the obvious question first. Why am I starting a new log? I'm doing it because I have a new plan, and I want to remind myself of that every time I update my log. If you go back and look at my original log, I set some goals. Those goals were very broad, encompassing all physical performance domains. For the last year I used a shotgun approach to reach those goals. I busted my ass in all domains as hard as I could. Did I improve in all domains? I like to think so, but any progress was lackluster. Instead of making significant progress in any one domain, I inched forward in them all.

I also ended up burning out and giving myself injury after injury. JMadd and TB stepped in with some solid advice. JMadd suggested to me some ideas on reducing my TM. These principals were later released as the Old Warhorse Template in AA. In my old log I called this my "reset". This was mentally very difficult for a guy like me who generally trains balls to the wall, but it worked like a charm. I recently completed my "reset", and not only am I back up to my previous TM, but it now feels easy and I feel as strong as ever. All without any of the injuries, pain, and problems I had before. If you're contemplating the Old Warhorse Template, I can't suggest it enough.

During this time I also had a realization of what I did wrong with my shotgun training approach. I revised this plan with some brain vomit I called "Goal Based Training". The short version is: progress priority domains with specific goals, while maintaining non-priority domains. The long version is quoted below (feel free to skip it). I do need to state that all TB books address the problem with the shotgun approach, I just needed to do some re-reading.
Goal Based Training
When you're a multi-domain operational athlete, and you want to be good at everything, it's easy to lose focus. Most of us know that training multiple domains at once makes you mediocre at all of those domains. However, once we start seeing progress on programs like TB that do such a great job balancing multiple fitness domains, it's easy to lose sight of that.

Not surprisingly TB2 actually covers the issue:

"First, Base-Build. Then, advance high priorities and maintain low priorities. Build general strength and endurance first. After base building, prioritize your fitness domains. Start training certain attributes less, and others more, based on your goals. Some attributes you will do the bare minimum to maintain, others you will actively attempt to advance."

With all of the great information in TB it's easy to lose sight of that. I want to highlight that statement and take it a bit further.

Climb the Rope
Training multiple fitness domains at once generally makes you mediocre at all of those domains. The body only has so much ability to adapt to training stimuli. Focus on one particular attribute produces greater results.

This is especially true for trained athletes. If you're untrained it's a lot easier to get up to par, a.k.a. "newbie gains". If you're new to training you might be able to go full steam ahead on multiple domains. If you're farther along in your training age, in any particular domain, the less ability your body has to adapt to training stimuli.

Maintenance is different. Maintaining physical performance, once you have it, is easier for your body than improving that performance.

So how do we go from mediocre in multiple domains to good, or even great? Improve in one domain at a time, and maintain the other domains. Just as the above quote from TB2 says.

Climb the rope. Hold yourself in place on the rope with your feet, your non-priority domains, and maintain. Then reach up with your arms, your priority domain, and pull yourself up. Not the best metaphor, but hopefully you get the point.

1. Base Build
TB II goes into great detail on why you should base build. I'm not going to get into it too much. If you don't have any strength or any endurance to start out with, then you have nothing to maintain.

2. Choose Your Domains
Not every domain is important to everyone. Pick a handful that matter to you most. If a domain doesn't matter, then don't pick it. Chances are that domain will get hit indirectly by a related domain.

I think domains can really vary. They might be generic like muscular strength, strength endurance, anaerobic capacity, or aerobic endurance. I think they can also be slightly more specific, such as distance running, sprint speed, traditional barbell strength, kettlebell strength endurance, or GC's.

Domains only matter because they help you choose your baselines for maintenance. No need to think too hard about them.

P.S. If MS isn't a domain you're interested in progressing or maintaining then you're kind of missing the boat, and you probably aren't doing TB.

3. Establish Baselines
This is where maintenance comes in. A baseline is a metric of performance you should be able to hit at any given time under adequate conditions. Baselines are not PRs.

An excellent example of a baseline that TB already uses is a 90% Training Maximum.

What the TB books don't get into is baselines for other domains. If your domain focus is muscular strength, and you're going balls-to-the-wall maximum effort on every HIC, your performance increases on muscular strength may suffer. So pick a few baselines within your chosen domains.

Baselines should be within your chosen maintenance domains, specific, and performed regularly.

For example: lets say the domain I want to focus on is my MS, but I want to maintain my short distance running speed and my distance running. My maintenance baselines for short distance running speed might be 5 rounds of Hill Sprints in 15 minutes, and 6 rounds of 600m Resets with a 2:30 pace and 5:00 rest. My baseline for distance running might be a 20:00 Fast 5 and a 10k LSS.

Choose a baseline you'll perform with regularity. If a 10:00 1.5 mile is your baseline, but you only run a 1.5 mile once a month, it isn't doing you much good as a measuring stick for maintenance.

Choose a couple baselines within the domain so you can change things up. I think it's ok to throw in things that aren't baselines, like an occasional GC in our example, but you should be performing a baseline or two every week.

The goal here is performance maintenance. It's hard to know if you're maintaining performance if you don't have a baseline to measure with.

4. Set Goals
Now choose goals within the domain you want to improve. SMART goals are a great way to go about this. SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Action-oriented, Realistic, and Time-based.

Examples are:

-Taking your bench press from a 160lb 1RM to a 170lb 1RM in 2 blocks.

-Reducing your 2 mile run time by 1 minute in 3 blocks.

-Going from 15 to 20 pull-ups in 1 block.

One goal is best. But sometimes it's reasonable to set more as long as they are in related domains and they don't interfere with each other. Increasing your max reps of push-ups and air squats by a specific number at the same time is reasonable. Improving your 100m sprint time and 800m sprint time by specific numbers at the same time is less realistic. That's not to say your deadlift won't go up if your main goal is your squat, but you may see more success by focusing on one.

Just remember that the more goals you set, the harder they will be to achieve.

Just an opinion here, but I think 2 standard blocks for any specific goal is going to be your sweet spot. Anything shorter doesn't give you much time to adapt to stimuli. Anything longer and it's easy to lose sight of your goal.

5. Create a Plan
Create a training plan based on your goals. If your main goal is to improve your bench, then Fighter Green might not be the best choice. If you want to improve your bench but really want to maintain your distance running, maybe go Operator Black Pro.

Same goes for any assistance work. The vast bulk of assistance work should support your primary goal. Like the bench example, maybe choose floor presses and dips. If your main goal is the 100m then maybe do bounding instead of bicep curls.

6. Execute and Achieve
Enough said. Stick to the plan!

7. Re-Assess
Reach your goal and want to go for a new one? Set new baselines based on your new fitness level, make a new plan, and charge ahead. Didn't reach you goal? Take a look at your training plan, change if needed, and dig in.

Conclusion
The above method is completely untested. It's simply a plan based on what I know from my education and experience, and a desire to be better than what I am. I didn't achieve a 3xBW DL while training for a marathon, and I didn't run a half-marathon while pushing barbell PR's.
I've completed my reset. It's time to set and smash some goals.

Episodes
I'm going to break up my training into, for lack of a better word, Episodes (if you can think of a better name let me know lol). Each Episode will have a SMART goal or two. Each Episode will have a specific plan on how to reach those goals. Each Episode will be for a specific number of Blocks (probably around 3). Each Episode will have Baselines.

My next post in this log will be my plan for Episode 1.

mikhou

Re: G2B's Goal Based Training

Post by mikhou »

G2B, excellent summary that I struggle to apply to my own training and life. I want to be good at EVERYTHING at once. I look forward to reading your plan and tracking with you.

mikhou

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Strength is king. At least in my line of work. I'm a defensive tactics instructor for my agency as well as the local academy. Part of my responsibility is reviewing every use of force in my agency. Most incidents are over within a matter of seconds. The primary physical domain in this duration is obviously strength. As an instructor I observe and participate in numerous training scenarios. The most effective participants are almost always the strongest. I worked as a bouncer in a pretty rough night club during college, between my military and LEO occupations. I observed and participated in hundreds of "street fights" during this time. As physical domains go in these fights, strength was always king.

Of course skill, technique, experience, preparedness, teamwork, equipment, whathaveyou all matter enormously. However, we're talking about physical domains here. I'm also not saying the other domains aren't important, I wouldn't be doing TB if they weren't. I know a lot of people that train in martial arts or watch MMA are going to disagree with me. Those MMA guys are amazing fighters and don't rely on strength! What happens on the street is much different than what happens in the octagon though.

That all being said I'm going to focus on strength as my primary domain for a while. Not only is it important for my profession, but I also just like being strong. I won't deny that part of this is selfish and I just enjoy strength the most. I've had a lifetime goal of a 315 bench, 405 squat, and 500 deadlift. The deadlift I've done, the squat I could argue. Regardless I'm going to start working toward that goal for the next few Episodes. I'll keep in mind JMadd's well spoken advice on "How strong do you need to be?" If my other domains start to suffer as a result of squeezing out a few extra pounds I'll re-assess. That's why I'm taking this one Episode at a time and re-assessing as I go.

Episode 1 Training Plan

Goals
Increase BP each block by 5 lbs for 3 blocks.
Increase SQ each block by 10 lbs for 3 blocks.

A secondary, lesser goal is to start working on my Spartan Race skills. I'll be doing that during my Finishers below.

Template
This episode will consist of three Zulu I/A Mini-blocks.

If anyone wants to know how I set up these mini-blocks, let me know.

Cluster/TM's (90%)
A
SQ: 315
WPU: 100
PP: 165

B
PC/DL: 185/435
BP: 230

SQ and BP will be done in sets of 3-5, depending on how I feel that day or how much time I have. I'll use extra sets as a method of auto-regulation. All other lifts will only be done for 3 sets.

RI will be 3 minutes.

Accessories
Accessories will be selected each block for each A and B day. Accessories will target my specific goals and fill any holes I have in my movements (horizontal pulling for example). Accessories will be another method of auto-regulation. If I feel like I have the time or energy I'll do them. If I don't, I'll skip them. This is going to be similar to the 5/3/1 method of accessories. I'll do anywhere from 0 to 3 supersets of accessories. I will ensure I do not go to failure on these sets.

For Episode 1, Block 1 I'll be doing A: Squats and Toes to Bar, and B: Bench Press and Landmine Rows.

Vanity Sets
I'm sick and tired of people looking directly at my arms while asking me "Are you losing weight?" lol. That exact thing has literally happened to me 3 times in the last month or so. TB is pretty anti-hypertrophy, but in my job, perception of ability means just as much as ability. I get sized up on a regular basis, and at 5'8" it never hurts to fill out your sleeves.

Vanity sets will be un-planned work for arms, calves, and other "show" muscles. Vanity sets will be my lowest priority, but I'm leaving myself the option of fitting it in. It is another auto-regulation method. If I'm at all tired, I won't do them. I'll do anywhere from 0 to 3 supersets of vanity sets. I will ensure I do not go to failure on these sets.

Finishers
Spartan Race specific movements, strongman dabbling, bag work (when I get one), GPP. small amounts of GC, grip work, calisthenics, gymnastics, loaded carries, etc. This is another auto-regulation method. Finishers will be limited to 5 minutes at the end of my workouts, and I will not go to failure.

I may write these out on cards and pick them at random, I'm not sure yet. At the moment they're un-planned.

Deloads
I'm going to try to do a deload week every other mini-block. This will be once every 6 weeks, similar to the Beyond 5/3/1 method. I'll assess this on an Episode by Episode basis. If I don't take a deload week for a particular block I'll use the TB method of deloading my conditioning every 3rd week. This Episode I'll take a deload week after Block 1 and Block 3.

Baselines
Tempo Run (90% HRM): 20 mins
600m Resets: 2:30 per 600m, 5 reps, 5 min rests
Hill Sprints: 8 reps
LSS Run: 10k

I'm already half a week into my first week so bear with me while I catch up on entries.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

mikhou wrote:G2B, excellent summary that I struggle to apply to my own training and life. I want to be good at EVERYTHING at once. I look forward to reading your plan and tracking with you.

mikhou
Thanks Mikhou.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:Strength is king. At least in my line of work. I'm a defensive tactics instructor for my agency as well as the local academy. Part of my responsibility is reviewing every use of force in my agency. Most incidents are over within a matter of seconds. The primary physical domain in this duration is obviously strength. As an instructor I observe and participate in numerous training scenarios. The most effective participants are almost always the strongest. I worked as a bouncer in a pretty rough night club during college, between my military and LEO occupations. I observed and participated in hundreds of "street fights" during this time. As physical domains go in these fights, strength was always king.

Of course skill, technique, experience, preparedness, teamwork, equipment, whathaveyou all matter enormously. However, we're talking about physical domains here. I'm also not saying the other domains aren't important, I wouldn't be doing TB if they weren't. I know a lot of people that train in martial arts or watch MMA are going to disagree with me. Those MMA guys are amazing fighters and don't rely on strength! What happens on the street is much different than what happens in the octagon though.

That all being said I'm going to focus on strength as my primary domain for a while. Not only is it important for my profession, but I also just like being strong. I won't deny that part of this is selfish and I just enjoy strength the most. I've had a lifetime goal of a 315 bench, 405 squat, and 500 deadlift. The deadlift I've done, the squat I could argue. Regardless I'm going to start working toward that goal for the next few Episodes. I'll keep in mind JMadd's well spoken advice on "How strong do you need to be?" If my other domains start to suffer as a result of squeezing out a few extra pounds I'll re-assess. That's why I'm taking this one Episode at a time and re-assessing as I go.

Episode 1 Training Plan

Goals
Increase BP each block by 5 lbs for 3 blocks.
Increase SQ each block by 10 lbs for 3 blocks.

A secondary, lesser goal is to start working on my Spartan Race skills. I'll be doing that during my Finishers below.

Template
This episode will consist of three Zulu I/A Mini-blocks.

If anyone wants to know how I set up these mini-blocks, let me know.

Cluster/TM's (90%)
A
SQ: 315
WPU: 100
PP: 165

B
PC/DL: 185/435
BP: 230

SQ and BP will be done in sets of 3-5, depending on how I feel that day or how much time I have. I'll use extra sets as a method of auto-regulation. All other lifts will only be done for 3 sets.

RI will be 3 minutes.

Accessories
Accessories will be selected each block for each A and B day. Accessories will target my specific goals and fill any holes I have in my movements (horizontal pulling for example). Accessories will be another method of auto-regulation. If I feel like I have the time or energy I'll do them. If I don't, I'll skip them. This is going to be similar to the 5/3/1 method of accessories. I'll do anywhere from 0 to 3 supersets of accessories. I will ensure I do not go to failure on these sets.

For Episode 1, Block 1 I'll be doing A: Squats and Toes to Bar, and B: Bench Press and Landmine Rows.

Vanity Sets
I'm sick and tired of people looking directly at my arms while asking me "Are you losing weight?" lol. That exact thing has literally happened to me 3 times in the last month or so. TB is pretty anti-hypertrophy, but in my job, perception of ability means just as much as ability. I get sized up on a regular basis, and at 5'8" it never hurts to fill out your sleeves.

Vanity sets will be un-planned work for arms, calves, and other "show" muscles. Vanity sets will be my lowest priority, but I'm leaving myself the option of fitting it in. It is another auto-regulation method. If I'm at all tired, I won't do them. I'll do anywhere from 0 to 3 supersets of vanity sets. I will ensure I do not go to failure on these sets.

Finishers
Spartan Race specific movements, strongman dabbling, bag work (when I get one), GPP. small amounts of GC, grip work, calisthenics, gymnastics, loaded carries, etc. This is another auto-regulation method. Finishers will be limited to 5 minutes at the end of my workouts, and I will not go to failure.

I may write these out on cards and pick them at random, I'm not sure yet. At the moment they're un-planned.

Deloads
I'm going to try to do a deload week every other mini-block. This will be once every 6 weeks, similar to the Beyond 5/3/1 method. I'll assess this on an Episode by Episode basis. If I don't take a deload week for a particular block I'll use the TB method of deloading my conditioning every 3rd week. This Episode I'll take a deload week after Block 1 and Block 3.

Baselines
Tempo Run (90% HRM): 20 mins
600m Resets: 2:30 per 600m, 5 reps, 5 min rests
Hill Sprints: 8 reps
LSS Run: 10k

I'm already half a week into my first week so bear with me while I catch up on entries.
Interesting.. Seems like a mix of TB and JW. I do like your Episode (specific target) approach.. I admit that I've never trained like that. It would be very interesting for me personally to participate in such programming by reading your log. Would you mind to share your min-block setup?

I'd argue a bit in regards to the street fights. I have completely different experience. To be good at street fights one needs to be experienced in street fights. I have witnessed very strong guys being trashed in a seconds. And I have seen small guys smashing a crowd of 5-6 people. I mean small guys who don't train at all. Guys who mostly drink and fight at the bars. There are strong pro fighters out there but it is a different story.

G2B, good luck to you with your new journey! Oh, and yes, I do like your posts. You do have a way with words, mate :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Mini-blocks weren't my idea. They were suggested to be so I could get in more deloads. Feel free to give them a shot. I just ended up liking the shorter blocks better. They help me stay focused and allow me to assess and readjust more frequently. I'll rotate back to standard blocks eventually.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

3/24/17
Zulu I/A Black
Episode 1
Mini-Block 1
Week 1
Day 1

Mobility
ROMWOD
M|WOD

Warm-up
Jump Rope
Agile 8
Box Jumps & Plyo-push-ups

Strength
A1 (70%)
SQ: 5x5@220
WPU: 3x5@70
PP: 3x5@115
RI 3 mins

Accessories
Squats (50% TM): 10/10/10
TTB: 10/10/8
x3
RI 1 min

Vanity Sets

Finisher
Bucket Carries (80 lbs)
5 mins

Notes
-Took about 1:15, not including my mobility work.
-Those Bucket Carries were pretty tough. Definitely have to be careful not to over do it there.
-If you read the date this was done a few days ago. It was probably a little too aggressive out of the gate. I admit I was excited about working hard again. It affected a subsequent HIC noticeably. I'll be scaling back a bit on the extra work and ease into it more.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

3/25/17
Zulu I/A Black
Episode 1
Mini-Block 1
Week 1
Day 2

Mobility
ROMWOD

Warm-up
Jump Rope
Agile 8
Box Jumps & Plyo-push-ups

Strength
B1 (70%)
PC: 3x5@130
BP: 3x5@160
RI 3 mins

Accessories
BP: 10/10/10@50%
Lever Rows: 10/10/10@40
x3
RI 1 min

Vanity Sets
Barbell Curls
Rippetoe Extensions
x3
RI 1 min

Finisher
Softball/Bar Climbers 4
Burpees 5
5 mins

Notes

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

3/26/17
Zulu I/A Black
Episode 1
Mini-Block 1
Week 1
Day 3

Unplanned rest day. Too busy with the cattle to train.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

3/27/17
Zulu I/A Black
Episode 1
Mini-Block 1
Week 1
Day 4

Mobility
ROMWOD

Warm-up
.5 mi yog

Conditioning
Tempo Run - 90% HRM
20 mins
2.44 mi
8:12 pace

Notes
-This is where I noticed the effects of going so hard on my first two Strength days. Last time I did this it felt easy. This time I had a hard time getting my HR up. I just felt... heavy, worn out. I was muscularly tired.
-Strangely enough though, once the run was done I noticed my pace was a good deal faster than the last time I ran this. Not sure what to think of that. I'll start monitoring a little more closely.