J-Madd

Re: G2B's Goal Based Training

Post by J-Madd »

Masterfully done G2B!

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

J-Madd wrote:Masterfully done G2B!
mikhou wrote:Nice job! You can see that you busted your tail to get to your goals. Impressive.

mikhou
Thanks gents.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I'm going to try to start this up again, if I can find the time.

Previous 3 Block Review
Quick review of my last 3 block "episode", because it was an important one for me. I ran a Zulu Black Mini Block hybridized, with a cluster of SQ, Push Press, WPU, Power Clean/DL, BP. I used 5/3/1 percentages with "joker sets" and "first set last" sets with SQ and BP, and Zulu percentages with everything else.

Let me just say that I LOVED this hybrid. It allowed me to really push hard at my goal lifts, but maintain and even improve my other lifts. It also really allowed for some great auto-regulation. Some days I just did the minimum with my 5/3/1 lifts, some days I went balls out.

I'm now the strongest I've ever been, at a BW of 165 lbs.

-I shattered my lifetime SQ goal of 405 lbs with a PR of 420 lbs. I didn't really have a previous PR because of mobility/injury issues which I'm now managing much better.

-My previous DL PR was 550 lbs at a 20 lb heavier bodyweight, about 8 years ago. I decided a nice lifetime goal to get back to would be 500 lbs. This last block I CRUSHED it with 560 lbs. Crazy thing was I haven't even been pushing DL much lately. I'm now in grasping reach of 600, which I used to think I'd never hit. I know I will now.

-I've always sucked at pressing, but I matched my BP PR at 275, which I set back when I set that previous DL PR.

*Just note that all of these are calculated rep PR's. I have no interest in doing an actual 1rm anymore.

-I don't have PR's for my other lifts, but all of their TM's are as heavy as they've ever been.

-Conditioning... I'm still hitting all of my conditioning workouts. The trouble has been this heatwave. The only time I can work out is in the afternoon. This means it's 100+ degrees every day. Black Flag shit. The longer distance stuff is killing me. Last time I attempted 6 miles I ran 4 miles before my blood turned to syrup and I had to walk home. The sweat is also causing blistering problems. I'm doing what I can though. My shorter distance work is still okayish.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Block X

Just FYI I'm already 1 week into this block.

Just doing a couple filler blocks before my 3 August Spartans. Thought about running Black Pro to get ready for the Spartans, but the heat, mentioned in my previous post, is making that difficult. So I hit 3 conditioning workouts a week, but it's kind of a crap shoot right now.

I'm running a Zulu Mini 5/3/1 Hybrid block again (I really need a better name for this). Since I hit my SQ goal, and I'm starting to lean towards doing a strongman even next year, I dropped SQ for my 5/3/1 focus exercise and replaced it with push Press. So BP and PP are my focus lifts. As I'm a week in I'm not really feeling this decision. Neither are very taxing lifts, but I felt like having one lower and one upper focus lift just felt "right". But it's only one block.

The other big change was adding Farmer's Walks to my cluster. I'm doing these by counting each rep as a ~50 ft walk. However, instead of following TB's rep numbers of 5/3/1-2 I'm doing 4/2/1 to balance it. 5 reps was too many.

I also started adding my bodyweight to my WPU. It totally changes the weights because of the percentage difference.

You might notice some of my TM's are nowhere near the PR's I set. The TM's were progressed, but I'm staying conservative.

Anyway, we'll see if I can continue updating this again.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Block X
Week 2
Day 3

O2 Debt 101

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Block X
Week 2
Day 4

Off. Woke up and felt like garbage all day.

Block X
Week 2
Day 5

200m
2 min RI
x8

Clyde Hart, track coach, and Crossfit Endurance recommend this. I really enjoyed it. Ran it with the wife which is always fun. She's a beast.

Block X
Week 2
Day 5

Off. Woke up and felt like garbage all day.

Block X
Week 2
Day 6

A2
SQ: 3x5@260 (75%)
PP: 3x125/3x145/4x160
FW: 4x130 (75%)

No Joker or FSL sets on PP. No finisher and no assistance lifts. Mostly because I'm still feeling run down and didn't want to train at all today.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Block X
Week 2
Day 6

B2
DL: 3x5@345 (75%)
BP: 3x175/3x200/8x225
WPU: 3x5@50

Finisher:
Tire Medley

PR! Finally broke my bench PR, with a calculated 280 lbs. I've been chasing this PR for the last few months. I've been consistently matching my decade old PR at 275 for weeks now, so I knew it was a matter of time. Still a shit lift compared to others of mine, but progress is progress.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Block X
Week 2
Day 7

Today was supposed to be conditioning, but I'm exhausted. I think messing with my sleep for that PFT really messed with me, despite still getting 5 hours that night. I RARELY skip workouts, but I may take today and tomorrow completely off.

OldManAsh

Post by OldManAsh »

Glad you're still updating, this is one of the logs I really get a lot out of reading. Which Spartans are you running in August?

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

OldManAsh wrote:Glad you're still updating, this is one of the logs I really get a lot out of reading. Which Spartans are you running in August?

Well thank you I appreciate that. Ummm... all of them? Lol. I'm doing the Utah Super, and the Colorado Beast and Sprint. And apparently I'm doing a 24 hr Hurricane Heat next year. I'm actually starting to deviate a bit away from Spartan emphasized training and more towards Strongman. I'm still going to do them, and plan on crushing obstacles, but my times will just be a bit slower. I'm not enough of a runner to be competitive in Spartan anyway.