Ectional's training log

ectional

Ectional's training log

Post by ectional »

Hey, decided to start my own training log here. Due to different reasons I'm going to basically start from the beginning - base building.
Fighter cluster is: squat, bench and bb row. And for specificity I'll be ending workouts with push-ups, 100 in as few sets as possible. Endurance sessions will most likely be either running or swimming.
July 17th-20th I'll have officer school tests and such but since I feel like I started preparing them too late, I don't feel like I'm going to do too great. Live and learn. But this means if I don't go into corrections field which was another choice, I want to enlist into active duty ASAP. So hopefully by the end of BB I'm in shape enough. Weird thing is, a while ago when I did a mock PT test, I did fairly well. Only needed to get nine more push-ups and 30 seconds off of run time. I thought it to be quite achievable but I was wrong. Last mock test I did was way worse, suddenly I was two minutes behind minimum required base.
Doing that I'll also be trying to lose some weight. Don't know exactly how much there is to lose but I assume about 20-30lbs, hopefully not more but losing weight should also help in making me faster.

As for some background information: I turn 22 on July 18th, Estonian. We have mandatory conscription, went through that and after being back in civilian life for a while, I just can't take working behind a computer every day and I want to get back into it full time.
Last edited by ectional on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ectional

Re: Tacticool Ectional

Post by ectional »

Did the PT tests for the corrections field today and things are weird. I was able to run 3km in 16.28. Yet the last time I did a mock one it was near 18 minutes. Where did the minute and a half come from? That makes me think if I'd be able to run two miles in 16.36. How should I approach this. I have exactly two weeks till officer school PT tests. Obvious thing would be to ditch max strength sessions in base building and replace them with SE.
As for today, I'll eat something and go do an E session in a few hours. Probably run because I'm too lazy to go to the pool.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

ectional wrote:Did the PT tests for the corrections field today and things are weird. I was able to run 3km in 16.28. Yet the last time I did a mock one it was near 18 minutes. Where did the minute and a half come from? That makes me think if I'd be able to run two miles in 16.36. How should I approach this. I have exactly two weeks till officer school PT tests. Obvious thing would be to ditch max strength sessions in base building and replace them with SE.
As for today, I'll eat something and go do an E session in a few hours. Probably run because I'm too lazy to go to the pool.
Looking forward to following this.

Is there a swimming component to your PT test?

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

ectional wrote: And for specificity I'll be ending workouts with push-ups, 100 in as few sets as possible.
Just a little food for thought... you can use SE progression for your push-up finisher. Following the bravo set-up you could start with 3 x 30 / 3 x week and add 10 every week.

ectional

Post by ectional »

TangoZero wrote:
ectional wrote:Did the PT tests for the corrections field today and things are weird. I was able to run 3km in 16.28. Yet the last time I did a mock one it was near 18 minutes. Where did the minute and a half come from? That makes me think if I'd be able to run two miles in 16.36. How should I approach this. I have exactly two weeks till officer school PT tests. Obvious thing would be to ditch max strength sessions in base building and replace them with SE.
Looking forward to following this.

Is there a swimming component to your PT test?
You can choose between cycling (not sure the of the distance), 500m swim or a two mile run. I'm probably going to go for the run so I need to run more. I sometimes choose swimming for the workouts because of my bad knees. Playing basketball as an obese teenager took it's toll on them I guess.
DocOctagon wrote:
ectional wrote: And for specificity I'll be ending workouts with push-ups, 100 in as few sets as possible.
Just a little food for thought... you can use SE progression for your push-up finisher. Following the bravo set-up you could start with 3 x 30 / 3 x week and add 10 every week.
I might go full on SE anyway. That workout should take place tomorrow and I'll give it some thought today.

Anyway, another 30 minute gentle jog done. I can't believe how much I have to slow myself down to do these properly.

ectional

Post by ectional »

Well the decision's been made. I've been kind of skeptical about the idea of SE workouts. When I've done them they've just seemed like a good way to get a sweat in. That's why I'm going to bite the bullet and fully commit to them for BB and see what effects does it have on me.
I'm going to use the combination of kettlebell and bodyweight exercieses. Push-ups, kb swings, sit-ups and goblet squats. I'm lacking back work in there - any ideas? Note that I really can't do over three chin-ups yet and assisted pull-up machine is taken a lot of the time. Maybe add kb rows?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

ectional wrote:Well the decision's been made. I've been kind of skeptical about the idea of SE workouts. When I've done them they've just seemed like a good way to get a sweat in. That's why I'm going to bite the bullet and fully commit to them for BB and see what effects does it have on me.
I'm going to use the combination of kettlebell and bodyweight exercieses. Push-ups, kb swings, sit-ups and goblet squats. I'm lacking back work in there - any ideas? Note that I really can't do over three chin-ups yet and assisted pull-up machine is taken a lot of the time. Maybe add kb rows?
Inverted rows have done some miracles to me personally. Really good back care. Doing it with rings or TRX is even better.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

ectional

Post by ectional »

Barkadion wrote:
ectional wrote:Well the decision's been made. I've been kind of skeptical about the idea of SE workouts. When I've done them they've just seemed like a good way to get a sweat in. That's why I'm going to bite the bullet and fully commit to them for BB and see what effects does it have on me.
Inverted rows have done some miracles to me personally. Really good back care. Doing it with rings or TRX is even better.
Don't have those in my gym. Going to have to improvise with the smith-machine. Thanks for the idea.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

ectional wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Don't have those in my gym. Going to have to improvise with the smith-machine. Thanks for the idea.
I'd just use the barbell..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFXb7pyb0ok
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

ectional

Post by ectional »

Barkadion wrote:
ectional wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
I'd just use the barbell..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFXb7pyb0ok
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking but with the smith-machine. Squat racks are far more popular pieces of equipment, don't want to be that douche who holds up someone's squat session because I need to do rows :D