spemma's Training Log

tacticalbarbelly

Re: spemma's Training Log

Post by tacticalbarbelly »

spemma wrote:thanks for coming in and commenting!

i was familiar with Smith before as i used his program previously for prep. i had to scale that program down a fair amount just to get through it. smith's 15-day prep program did give me confidence though because i was practicing the specific events everyday. with that said, i blame both my pec and groin strain on the overworking in the program. i should've been smarter about it and scaled it down more than i already did.

as for what worked well and didn't:
worked well
  • basebuilding and continuing E runs: i'm not a runner but these turned me into a semi-decent runner. aside from the physiological benefits, it brought me a lot of confidence.
  • timed sit-ups: a must do for prepping for this type of test. since it is maximum sit-ups in 1-minute, and basically every 2 reps is +1 point, you have to learn how to go fast.
  • mock PFTs: got me more confident with taking the test, so it was very familiar come game day.
  • "grease the groove": the daily submaximal "grease the groove" style push-ups and sit-ups that i did under the Smith program seemed to help my numbers, i just have to be more intelligent about them next go round. i could probably cease all push-ups up until 2 weeks from the PFT and just do the grease the groove and be solid.
didn't work well
  • tempo runs (Fast 5): i don't know why i kept doing these. they weren't at a pace that was fast enough to help learn pacing for the test and the distance didn't build confidence for the 1.5 mile. i would've been better off just running the 1.5 harder on the track to learn my pacing.
  • push-up progression: i blame this on not doing any MS during the period and just endless push-ups. i just feel like i should be a regular 50+ push-up scorer.
If you could go back in time to right after your first PFT failure, what would be the workout plan that you would do? I have extremely similar numbers for all events and I'm in the same boat you were in.

Just so you see what I'm working with, I started working hard for a few weeks on a new routine when I was surprised with a "canyoushowuptomorrowat6am" phone call at 4pm after finishing a 6 mile run. Needless to say, the run the next day got me and I shouldn't have agreed to take it so last minute but they were trying to do me a favor.

My scores:

Situps- 49
Sprints- 49.4
Pushups- 35
Run- I ran 3 laps at an even 6:00 but my shoulders/neck cramped out because I have bad running form and wasn't being conscious of it, so I had to stop running. I was very close to passing it altogether but just couldn't do it.

I've been following your routine with regards to 4 days of running with at least one long run.