Steve's Training Log

CelticFrost91

Re: Steve's Training Log

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 1 Day 4

LSS Run 50 min. 5.8 miles

Slowly getting back there. Still not where I used to be but it's only been just a week since I got back. Run felt fine this morning. Didn't feel sluggish, form felt light and strong. Had to slow myself down a few times to keep my heart rate at an optimal level. I'm simply using the method of running just a little faster than "conversational pace."

Tomorrow is another LSS run. 50 min. again and I anticipate the run to be a little slower than todays. Biggest thing I am worried about is those damn thunderstorms. They come at the worst times and I really am not looking forward to the treadmill. If that's the case I'm lifting and running Friday morning. If it was just rain it would be ok, but noooo, electricity has to fall out of the sky too. Oh well. Weekend is almost here.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Balaclava wrote:Great log man, very consistent. Will be following along.
Thanks!
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

KShea wrote:I'll be checking this out. You and I seem to be on exact opposite sides of the coin. You have MUCH better conditioning than I have. I seem to have stronger lifting numbers. It'll be fun to watch you grow.

Keep it going.
Thanks! I'm really hoping to get my strength to where it used to be but it's hard with conditioning being my main focus. Best of luck to you!
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 1 LSS 40 Min 4.5 miles

Technically last night. So the weather forced me to run after work, which was a creepy ass night run. The route took me through some sketchy paths, bugs flew in my mouth, and a nearby opera added to the creepy atmosphere. I felt off though. I'm pretty sure the darkness had a lot to do with my pacing but the run was much slower than I liked. I also cut it short by 10 min because I noticed shin splints creeping up. I was well over the minimum 35 min so I felt alright cutting the run short in favor of health.

Next time I need to warm up my calves better. Once I get back into my groove shin splints shouldnt be a problem. Also, I should stay away from night runs. I don't get as good of a run. Next run will be on Sunday, ill definitely keep an eye on my shins.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 1 Day 6

75%
Bench 145 5x5
Squat 195 5x5
OHP 95 5x5
Pull ups 20 13 11 11 10 (one minute planks in between)

Felt better today than the previous strength session. I do miss when weight lifting was all I focused on but I need to prioritize running. Got in a pretty late workout just to see how I handled the gym after work, I plan on changing up my schedule a bit.

---------------------------------------

So that marks the end of week 1. I'm gonna be doing a reflection on the week, what worked, what didn't, what I need to improve, etc.
--Pullups need to be more frequent. Recon Ron three times a week is a must.
--Diet was a big issue. I need to recalculate my TDEE and work from there. Because of drill I wasn't able to prep the weeks meals, so eating like I did was understandable but cannot happen again.
--I'm gonna throw in speed work for my E sessions, maybe some tempo runs. Something I'll ask the community if I can't find a previous post.
--Also ask about throwing in an extra run day, maybe ask about a light run on a strength day?
--Other big hit, being lazy in the morning. Mainly towards the end of the week but I can't be slacking in the morning. The sooner I get out the door, the sooner the run is over and the sooner I can chill.

So far it was good. Still humbling to see how big a blow 29 Palms did to me but I have so much time to improve, and time is an ally right now. Gonna enjoy my first weekend in a long ass time. Cheers.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 2 Day 1

Tempo Run 25 min. 3.1 miles

Planned for a nice LSS run for the evening, but wouldn't you know it... a mother fucking thunderstorm was on its way. I said fuck it and went for a tempo run instead. I tried to go for 35 min. but the storm came very fast and it was very bad. I'm all for "if it rains you train" mindset, but when the sky is looking green I'm going the fuck inside. I pretty much alternated between a fast past for about 100-200 meters (not so fast that form gave way) and a recovery pace for roughly 2 min. Tempo runs are something I plan on using about twice a week. I know it fits in with HIC, which I don't touch until week 5, but I'm making the call.

After the run I did some plank progressions. One minute holds for each of the variations shown. I plan on doing these again, during my E days. Strength days I'll be doing planks in between my pullups. If I had more time in the gym I would do more core work, but that will have to wait until school starts when my schedule is more flexible.
1/7

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

CelticFrost91 wrote:Green Week 2 Day 1

Tempo Run 25 min. 3.1 miles

Planned for a nice LSS run for the evening, but wouldn't you know it... a mother fucking thunderstorm was on its way. I said fuck it and went for a tempo run instead. I tried to go for 35 min. but the storm came very fast and it was very bad. I'm all for "if it rains you train" mindset, but when the sky is looking green I'm going the fuck inside. I pretty much alternated between a fast past for about 100-200 meters (not so fast that form gave way) and a recovery pace for roughly 2 min. Tempo runs are something I plan on using about twice a week. I know it fits in with HIC, which I don't touch until week 5, but I'm making the call.

After the run I did some plank progressions. One minute holds for each of the variations shown. I plan on doing these again, during my E days. Strength days I'll be doing planks in between my pullups. If I had more time in the gym I would do more core work, but that will have to wait until school starts when my schedule is more flexible.
Some of my most memorable workouts are in conditions like this. Way to stay tenacious.

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 2 Day 2

LSS run 55 min. 6.4 miles

I'm really starting to think the weather is out to get me. Sunny day today, perfect weather, but it was my day to go to the gym and lift weights. No way a thunderstorm can blind side me inside the gym, right? When I showed up, the weight room was flooded from yesterdays storm... the treadmills were unaffected though. All I could do was chuckle, I went back home and went for a run instead. If the gym is still flooded tomorrow morning, I'm just gonna bench and deadlift at my works gym, which doesn't have a squat rack.

Today's run felt great. I kept a good pace throughout. No shin splints, no pains. Although I felt a little heavy at first, I felt light on my feet most of the run. Tommorrow is strength for sure, either squats or without them (if anything I can do front squats). My next run I am planning on it being a 35 min. interval run.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 2 Day 3

80%
Bench 155 5x5
Squat 205 5x5
Deadlift 245 1x5
Pullups 20 13 11 11 11 with 1:15 planks in between

"Habit hardens the body for great exertions, strengthens the heart in great peril, and fortifies the judgment against first impressions." -Carl von Clausewitz

I'm usually not big on sharing quotes because I feel like it can be cheesy motivation at times. But I think of this quote whenever I contemplate training versus creature comforts. Ended up drinking too much Jamo last night while watching a movie. Stayed up way later than I wanted and when I woke up, I did not want to get out of my bed at all. "Sometimes no amount of motivation will make you "want" to go train, you do it regardless of whether you want to or not, you do it because you have to," I tell myself that when I start getting a little soft and wish I could quote where I heard it from because I love it (actually, maybe it was in the actual TB book??). I could've easily slept in and went to the gym after work (which would have been late in the night, when I am most likely wanting to relax anyways), or taken the optional recovery day that is in my program and simply move the gym to another day. But I didn't, thank God. Took a long time for my body to wake up and get in the groove, but all of the weights felt super light. Which means my strength is coming back. Don't worry, I am not about skipping ahead or lifting more weight for the sake of lifting more weight. I won't change numbers until it is time to actually do so.

Honestly though, feeling pretty damn good now. No hangover, I'm wide awake and not sleepy or feeling like a wet turd. Glad I pushed through that brief bitchiness and got my ass in the gym. Tomorrow is a tempo run. Probably should look at the forecast knowing my luck.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green week 2 Day 4

Tempo Run 35 min. 4.2 miles

Run felt great. Run a comfortably fast pace for 200 meters then followed with a 2 minute recovery pace. Didn't feel like I was dying but it was a good run.
1/7