Re: Steve's Training Log

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 2 Day 5

80%
Bench 155 5x5
Squat 205 5x5
OHP 100 5x5
Pull ups 20 13 11 11 1:15 planks in between

Had to cut the pullups short because of time. Had things to take care of before work. OHP is gonna be a lift I'm gonna keep an eye on. I started getting a bit sloppy with the form and form is everything with that lift (well, with every lift really). Mentally I was worn out. It's been a long week so I was pushing myself mentally. Only real negative thing is my diet. Ate a little over my TDEE yesterday and today. Although one or two days won't hurt in the long run, I don't want to slip into a bad habit. I can already tell what my focus is gonna be next week. I already have some ideas of what to cut out (sorry beer, gonna have to sideline you for a while).

Tomorrow is my long run and my last training day of week 2. Gonna be a good one. Till next time.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Geen Week 2 Day 6

LSS 1 hr. 7 miles
Pullups 20 13 11 11 11 1:15 planks in between

Pretty good run today. Had an off day so I was able to ease into the morning and run at my favorite part of the day, noon. I love running when it's hot. Nothing bad to note during the run, form felt good, I felt solid, no joint pains at all. Longest run since I came back from 29 Palms, and I can feel that I'm close to where I was prior to my ITX. Anyways, on to the week in review...

--------------------------------------------------
Weight-170-172
Overall good week. Didn't miss a day and when the weather threatened my training I was able to adapt. I implemented tempo runs, I feel this is a step in the right direction. I will keep a close eye on if it affects anything. If I didn't have a good base I would be doing strict LSS sessions until HIC came into the picture in the program. Strength is also coming back, I feel really good with the weight and I look forward to the following week when I do 90% lifts.

Now on to the bad. Although I increased pullup frequency from the previous week, I need to stay on top of it. If I have to cut it out because of work, I HAVE to do it after work no matter how tired I feel. That ties in with core work. I can't bitch out on it just because I'm feeling tired after a long run/day. Diet was another issue, although the weight gain hasn't been significant from my return from the desert (I'm at where I want to be at). I need to clean up my eating habits. The amount of calories are ok, it's just what makes those calories up. This takes discipline, I have the right foods, I just need to say no at work when someone gets an extra order of french fries or fried chicken. I think bringing fruit with my lunch and dinner will help prevent snacking on shit food. Whenever I am tempted, just snack on some grapes.

So here's what I need to fix for week 3:
-Increase pullups (3x a week) and core work (every training day).
-Clean up diet. Keep calories the same, just replace that shit with some good shit.
-Keep working on being fast in the morning, the quicker you're out of the bed, the quicker you get to suck the days dick and get it over with.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 3 Day 1

Tempo run 35 min. 4 miles
1min. plank progressions

Ok run today. Felt a little slower than normal, mainly on the 2 min. recovery parts. Weather was hot and humid which made for a good mental challenge. Diet was good yesterday, ate at maintenance. I've decided to cut beer out of my diet. Only if I go out to eat with some friends or I'll treat myself once a month.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 3 Day 2

Bench 170 5x3
Squat 225 5x3
Deadlift 270 1x3
Pull-ups with 1:15 planks 21 13 11 11 11

Good day. Form felt great as did the weights. It's very tempting to add more but I'm going to wait until my next block to change the numbers. Next week I'm going to start bumping the deadlifts up to 3 work sets. We'll see how I respond to that, I think more deadlift volume would do me good. 225 felt very easy, although that weight hasn't been an issue for me before, it felt good today. I can tell that my bench is probably going to take some time getting to where it once was though. We'll see how I progress with bench and if changes need to happen.

Tomorrow is a nice 60 min. LSS run. Before I forget, I need to remember to track my mileage down.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 3 Day 3

LSS 60 min. 7.1 miles Week total 11/ 20.4 (last weeks)

1 min. plank progressions.

I can tell that tempo runs have already been helping. I felt light on my feet and noticed that even though I was at a comfortable pace, it was a faster pace than the week before. So far I've been doing a good job at keeping my diet clean while still meeting my caloric needs. I might have a PFT coming up with the OSO because I'll be going on the board later this month. He was pretty understanding about the possibility of my running being a bit slower because of ITX but honestly, I think I might be able to run it faster now. Been talking to one of my buddies that stayed in and is now an instructor over at TBS and he's been giving me a little bit of a heads up about IOC. Right now my plan is to obviously try to max out on my PFT but eventually meet the standards of other units/branches just to use as milestones. For example, work on hitting the fitness test for the Rangers. I forgot where I found it but it's not the PFT, it includes running 5 miles in 35 min. amongst other things. Won't be a huge concern of mine because eventually OCS and TBS things, but for now I still have a decent amount of time to prepare before I even get to OCS. As long as I get into great shape and work on my mental preparedness then I can work on the next step (TBS) than the next (IOC).

Tomorrow is either going to be a tempo run or a fun run.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 3 Day 4

Tempo Run 35 min. 4.2 Miles

Pull-ups 21 13 11 11 11

Sit-ups 2 min. 115

Starting to feel a cold coming on so I took some NyQuil PM last night, woke up feeling groggy as hell. Although I thought the run was going poorly, ended up being just a little better than the last tempo run. Decided to test my 2 min. sit-ups instead of hitting up the planks.

Tomorrow is a day in the gym and then a long distance run on Friday. I'm going to look into incorporating ruck runs as soon as I get my PFT over with.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 3 Day 5

Bench 170 5x3
Squat 225 5x3
OHP 110 5x3

Last night that cold kept me up for a long time, like almost all night. Ended up using my morning to catch up on some needed sleep. Woke up feeling it was beaten and went through the work day feeling fine so I made the call to go to the gym after work. Although I was tired, it was a kick ass finish to the day. All the lifts felt great. RI was usually around the minimal 2-3 min. range and I felt I could've went for the 5x5 but I'm sticking to what the book says. However, no core work. Gave myself a break on that today.

As far as diet, it's been good. It's cleaning up although there is room for improvement. Once school starts, I won't have to deal with those damn temptations at work. Also still sitting at a solid 170, exactly where I want to be.

Tomorrow is the final day of week 3, should be the long run of the week. I'm going to shoot for 1 hour and 5 min. Nice and easy pace. If for some reason I can't work this in, I'm just gonna do a fun run instead.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 3 Day 6

LSS 1 hour 5 min. 7.4 miles Weekly mileage 22.6 (20.4 last week)

Pull ups 21 13 11 11 11 with 1:15 planks

The run was a bit rough. Having done squats last night and then doing the long run this morning, I definitely felt the squats. My place was slower during the run, but I finished my goal time. Now on to the week in review...

--------------------------------------------------------

So for the good... both running and weight lifting are feeling good again. Weights will get light again so that gives me a good chance to "grease the groove" and master those weights. I feel confident again with the weights and feel what ITX did is going away. Tempo runs have been a great addition, they make me feel ready to take on the next run. Diet was kept in check pretty damn good. No pigging out, stuck to my TDEE, ate clean. I also did a good job of pushing through the mental rough spots. Pushing past the little sleep, doing the core work, and not skipping a day took some effort but I did it.

The bad... My diet could still use some cleaning. I think it's a good time to cut those chips from my diet. My sleep schedule could use work as well. Stayed up a little late which made me sleep in just a little bit. A good area to work on. I also think it is a good time to evaluate my running form, not a bad point but I want to pay attention to this in the upcoming week. Also increasing pullup frequency more, again, not a bad point but I want to see where it will get me.

Points for the upcoming week...
-Watch sleep schedule. Wake up as planned, go to bed as planned.
-No chips for the whole week. If I can do this I'll reward myself with something nice, like a nice little bag of Flaming Hots on my cheat day.
-On the days I'm not doing Recon Ron, 22 Pullups in the morning, and at night. OR depending on how much I'm home, 10 pull-ups whenever I walk in/out the apartment.
-Keep running form in check, watch some videos and be mindful of form.

Drill is also next weekend. 3 days and two night in the field. That Sunday I can see some PT happening so I'll probably count that into my Green workout. I hope they let me plan the PT because the whole platoon is about to get hazed.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 4 Day 1

Interval Run 35 min. 4.3 miles
Pullups 22 13 11 11 11 with 1:15 planks

So I realized that I have been confusing my tempo runs with interval runs, just mixed up the names in my previous posts is all. The run felt good. At first it was a little rough, but once I got in the groove I felt good. Got in a bit more mileage than my last interval run. Pullups were alright, only got 21 consecutive though, quickly got back up to get 22 total. Gonna keep an eye on this.

Tomorrow is going to be an LSS run for 1 hr. 5 secs.
1/7

CelticFrost91

Post by CelticFrost91 »

Green Week 4 Day 2

LSS 1hour 5min. 7.9 miles

Technically yesterday's workout, just got a bit busy and didnt end up posting. Pretty good run. I felt great throughout. I was able to go at a decent pace but not feel worn out. Obviously this is where I want to be at and clearly I'm where I was before ITX as far as running is concerned (just need to do an actual 3 mile that's timed). I was also a dumbass and forgot to do my core work. Time was short after the run so I waited till after work, which I forgot about. I did do my minimal pull-ups however, max set in the morning followed by 10 whenever I walked in and out of the apartment.

Tomorrow is MS.
1/7