FortyP's 9 sets of Deadlift per week log

FortyPlusRunner

Re: FortyP's 9 sets of Deadlift per week log

Post by FortyPlusRunner »

Block 12: Distance running training
Week 8
Body weight: 166
Notation is sets x reps x weight in lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation

Day 1: Rest
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Easy Run, windy, 4.2 mil 32:28
Day 4 I: LME 60-sec.: Lat pull-downs 3x15x80, URRow 3x15x30, Dip machine 3x15x100, Pec fly machine 3x15x80, abs
Day 4 II: Very Easy Run TM 3.0 mil 24:35 HR1 95
Day 5: Easy+ Run, light wind, one hill, 4.1 mil 30:12
Day 6: Group Run, hilly (670 ft. TE), 10.0 mil 1:35:49
Day 7: LME 60-sec.: BP 3x12x95, Lat pull-downs 3x15x80, Dip machine 3x15x100, URRow 3x15x30, abs

Mileage for the week: 21

Including last week's day 7, it looks like you took three days off running after the half marathon? Correct. I've never quite tried it this way before, but it came highly recommended, so let's see how it goes.

A ten-miler on day 6, only a week after the half marathon? Yeah, but look how slow and easy it was--and I took the next day off running. Things should be fine.

How's the LME going? I'm sore, that's for sure; my body's not accustomed at all to this kind of training. We'll have to see, though, if there are lasting effects.

Sounds like a pretty chill week. It has been. Recovery weeks should be.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 9
Body weight: 165
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation

Day 1: Easy Run TM 4.0 mil 31:42 HR1 96
Day 2: TRK Cruise Intervals, cold, light wind, 12 x 400 (1:34 average) with 400m jogs in between; 9 mil total
Day 3: LME 60-sec: 5x15 Rows with 50-lb KB; 4x12 push-ups; abs
Day 4: Easy+ Run 4.0 mil 29:46 HR1 105
Day 5: TRK Tempo, very cold (27F with wind chill), 3.0 mil in 19:46; 6 mil total
Day 6: Easy+ Run, cold, windy (11-18 mph), 6.1 mil 43:38
Day 7 I: LME 45-sec: Pec Fly 3x15x70, Lat pulldown 3x15x70, Dip machine 3x15x100, URRow 3x15x30, abs
Day 7 II: Recovery Run TM 4.0 mil 32:41 HR1 94

Mileage for the week: 33

Okay, that's just too much intensity for only one week after your half marathon. You're right. Even though the workout on day 2 went very well, it became obvious by day 5 that I'd pulled my left calf muscle. It was just too much, too soon. Ah well. Nothing ventured...

You can still run with a pulled calf? Kinda. I'm aggressively icing it.

Have you noticed any benefit from the LME training? Actually, yes: during the day 6 run I sensed increased power and ease of motion in my upper body when ascending small hills. That's exactly the kind of thing LME is supposed to help with: "on and off" bursts of strength-endurance. That's why I decreased the rest period on day 7 from 60 to 45 seconds: time to scale up the difficulty a bit.

Looks like it's getting cold there. Oh yeah: two-layer shirt, compression leggings, and light jacket weather. I can deal with down to 20F, but below that the cold air is just too difficult to breathe (especially with my asthma).

What's the plan for next week? No speed work until the calf heals, but I'll try to keep up the mileage. We'll see.

Have you already listened to the new Alter Bridge album? Oh yeah. Great production, but most of it isn't exactly my cup of tea. I'm actually on a Sevendust kick right now.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 10
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, LME = local muscular endurance workout, WC = wind chill

Day 1: Easy+ Run, one hill, 5.1 mil 37:17
Day 2: Easy+ Run, cold, 7.1 mil 51:10
Day 3: LME 45-sec: BP 3x12x85, Lat pulldowns 3x15x80, Dip machine 3x15x110, URRow 3x12x40 (last set strained), core
Day 4: Progression Run TM 6.0 mil 42:11; final mile ~6:20; HR1 122
Day 5: Group Run, hilly, very cold (20F WC), 3.5 mil 35:52
Day 6: Fast finish group long run, 660 ft. TE, cold (32F WC), 11.0 mil 1:38:21; mile 9, 6:58; mile 10, 6:46
Day 7: Stamina Run, windy (11-18mph), 5.1 mil 36:37; mile 5, 6:36

Mileage for the week: ~38

Looks like your calf is doing better! Almost. Aggressive icing got it mostly back into shape by day 4, which is why I tried that progression run (a lighter / safer version of speed work), which went well. Nonetheless, I took things very easy on day 5 and for most of day 6. As long as I don't freak out / overcompensate this coming week, the calf should heal fully.

Speaking of overdoing it, why in the world did you do a stamina run (day 7) the day after an 11-mile long run? Ordinarily that would be a very bad idea; you're right. However, here's my reason: days 1 and 2 this coming week are going to be very, very cold: single-digit wind chills (and nasty winds causing them). So I moved up the day 2 speed work to day 7 and toned it down to make sure it was doable. Thus, easy going on the treadmill during the upcoming so-called arctic blast.

Only one LME session this week? Yeah, my shoulder blades started complaining loudly on the last set of upright rows, and the pain persisted for a couple days, so I laid off the LME the rest of the week. I made a basic rookie mistake: I increased weight too quickly. With LME, I've found, you have to give yourself a few sessions to get accustomed to shorter rest periods.

Are you going to hop into a Turkey Trot? I hope so, but I don't want to taper for it, as my next big goal is another half marathon, this one in late December. I might do a mini-taper of three days or so; we'll see.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 11
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, LME = local muscular endurance workout, WC = wind chill

Day 1: Easy+ Run TM 5.0 mil 37:12 HR1 103
Day 2: 3x3xBW pull-ups, various other light exercises
Day 3: Rest (ear infection)
Day 4: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 36:56 HR1 99
Day 5: Progression Run TM 5.0 mil 33:57 (final mile ~6:12) HR1 116
Day 6: Long Run, very cold (26F WC), windy (7-18mph), two hills, 14.0 mil 1:44:09
Day 7: Easy Run TM 6.0 mil 46:58 HR1 97

Mileage for the week: 35

Two days off of running? An ear infection?! Madness! I got better.

Why the body weight pull-ups (day 2)? That's the day I woke up feeling horrible (the ear infection was about to drop), so I kept things very easy.

A lot of treadmill this week. Welcome to arctic blast land. It's been warmer in the afternoons, but it's either been very, very windy (25-35mph gusts) or my work schedule hasn't allowed me to get out there before dark. Ah well.

That HR1 reading after the progression run (day 5) seems pretty low to me. You're right, but look at the lead-up: two days of rest from running, and an easy prep day beforehand. Still, the workout seems to indicate progress.

Is that 14-miler (day 6) the longest run you've logged on TB? I think so. Last year I did a 13.25-miler at 8 seconds slower per mile, but that was at the end of a 42-mile week. Still...progress, methinks.

Did you enjoy the new Tool album? Oh yeah. I met MJK twice in the 90s, and he is the real deal. Despite the strength of some songs on the new album, I still prefer AEnima overall for its balance of aggression and contemplation (though I think there are just a few too many f-bombs on that record).

FortyPlusRunner

Week 12
Body weight: 164

Day 1: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 37:47 HR1 106
Day 2: TRK 8 x 400 (average 1:28) with 400m jogs in between; 7.0 mil total
Day 3: LME 45-sec: Pec Fly 4x15x70, Lat pulldown 4x15x80, Dip machine 4x15x110, URRow 4x12x30, abs
Day 4: Easy+ Run TM 8.0 mil 58:18 HR1 117
Day 5: Easy Run TM 6.0 mil 47:01 HR1 98
Day 6: Long Run, cold (30F WC), windy (7-12mph), 1/3rd gravel, 12.1 mil 1:28:21
Day 7: Easy+ Run, windy (7-11mph), one hill, 6.2 mil 45:15

Mileage for week: 44.3

You're definitely not tapering for the Turkey Trot! Correct: the current goal is still the half marathon in late December (actually, about a month from today). I'll do a mini-taper this coming week--two or three lighter, easier days--which is all I'm willing to sacrifice.

Those 400m cruise intervals (day 2) look a bit on the fast side for you. I kept to a 2-2 breathing pattern for each interval to make sure I was giving roughly consistent effort, but, yeah, I was surprised, too. As you might expect, I was sore for a few days afterwards, and the HR1 readings on days 4 and 5 were a bit elevated, signalling that I was still recovering from that workout. Gotta be careful with those intervals; they're very easy to overdo.

Are you still seeing benefits from the LME training? Yes, consistently: when I want to accelerate, the power to move my arms / upper body more quickly is there. I seem to be able more easily, in other words, to turn on a burst of speed-endurance in the midst of an endurance effort.

Any reason you ran a significant amount of your long run on gravel? There are some long gravel roads not far from here that are infrequently traveled. I just wanted a break from cars, so I headed out that way. That part of the run was pretty peaceful.

I can almost guarantee you've been listening to Fear Inoculum all week. Guilty as charged. As I intimated last week, it's fantastic.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 13
Body weight: 167

Day 1: Easy Run TM 8.0 mil 61:04 HR1 112
Day 2: LME 45-sec: Pec Fly 3x20x60, URRow 3x20x20, Dip machine 3x20x90, Lat pulldown 3x20x70, abs
Day 3: Very Easy Run TM 3.0 mil 24:36 HR1 94
Day 4: 5K race, very cold 28F WC, wind 6-7mph, hilly 270ft. TE, 19:48; 4.1 mil total
Day 5: Trail Run, cold 32F WC, wind 5-7mph, 15.1 mil 1:53:05; final two miles 7:17, 7:14
Day 6: Easy Run TM 7.5 mil 58:53 HR1 102
Day 7: Progressive Stamina Run TM, 7.0 mil in 48:20, final mile 6:35; 8.0 mil in 56:29 total

{Mileage, day 2 last week to day 1 this week: 47}
Mileage for the week: 45.7

How does this year's Turkey Trot compare to last year's? Good question. It was the same course, so that helps immensely. Broken down:
Last year: It was warmer; I did a full taper (five very easy days); I ran 30 miles the week before; and I'd run several "time trial" 5Ks in the previous month. Result: 20:24 or so.
This year: It was colder (below freezing); I did only a one-day taper; I ran 45+ miles the week before; and I haven't run a shorter race in at least a month, though I have done some intervals. Result: 19:48.
Given the circumstances, I'm okay with it.

Is that 15-miler the longest run you've logged on TB to date? Yes it is! An over-distance run can be helpful when preparing for a longer race, and given how much I enjoy the trails in that area where I did the Turkey Trot, I decided to go for it.

It definitely looks like you're in half-marathon training mode. True, and I don't have much training time left--about 11 days, and then begins the 10-day taper. We'll see what I can squeeze in.

Did you really gain three pounds since last week? Yes. It was Thanksgiving. I ate. I drank. You know the routine.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 14
Body weight: 164

Day 1: LME 30-sec.: Lat pulldown 3x20x70, Pec Fly 3x20x70, URRow 3x20x20, Dip machine 3x20x100, abs
Day 2: Easy+ Run TM 8.0 mil 58:30 HR1 109
Day 3: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 39:23 HR1 97
Day 4: TRK, cold (32F WC 5-7 mph), 4 x 1-mile (6:29 average) with 400m jogs in between; 8.0 mil total
Day 5: Easy Run TM 8.0 mil 1:01:59 HR1 100
Day 6: Long Run, windy (10-14 mph), half gravel, 12.6 mil 1:30:18
Day 7: Easy Run TM 8.5 mil 1:06:10 HR1 109

Mileage for the week: 50.1

**MASTERS MILESTONE: 50 miles in six days in single runs**

That's the first time you've done that as a Masters runner? Yes. I hit a 50-mile week in the buildup to my last half marathon, but that included seven days of running and/or a double-run day (depending on how you cut the "week"). I also did a 50+ mile week this past summer, but that included several double-run days.

Given the HR1 at the end of that slower day 7 run, I'd say it's time for a break. Correct. Time to sharpen a bit and start tapering.

That LME session looks kind of intense, relatively speaking. It was! Going down from 45 seconds to 30 was more challenging than I expected. That may be the final LME session I do for this block; I may switch to straight-up SE to gain a final overall endurance enhancement as I go into tapering for the half marathon. We'll see.

How did that track session (day 4) go? Challenging because of two things. First, I could sense some lingering fatigue, probably due to the mileage increases. Second, I was fighting off a mild cold most of the week. That and the freezing weather added to the difficulty. Given all that, I'm happy it went as well as it did.

Any injuries? Not surprisingly, yes. I started getting a moderate case of metatarsalgia in one of my feet at the end of last week, probably because of the 15-mile trail run and the surrounding workouts. I've been icing it aggressively.

You already lost that three pounds you gained over Thanksgiving? Indeed. It's okay to feast occasionally as long as it doesn't become "the new normal" or habit.

Did you see that new, Third Edition of Advanced Marathoning? It came out earlier this year, but yes. Pfitzinger and Douglas are among the most reliable coaches in this regard, I'd say; I'd put them right up there with the Hansons and McMillan. (Lydiard is in a class all his own and always will be, I'd say, but...)

FortyPlusRunner

Week 15

Day 1: Rest
Day 2: Tempo Run TM 5.2 mil at 6:27-pace, HR1 124; 6.2 mil total
Day 3: Easy+ Run TM, 3 x 1% incline 0.5-mil each, 6.2 mil 46:36 HR1 100
Day 4 I: Easy Run TM 6.0 mil 47:11 HR1 94
Day 4 II: 3x4xBW pull-ups, 3x10 push-ups, abs
Day 5: TRK cruise intervals, cold (32F WC 5-6mph), 5 x 1-mile (6:28.4 average) with 400m jogs in between; 9 mil total
Day 6: Easy Run TM, 3 x 4% incline 0.25-mil each, 6.0 mil 47:11 HR1 102
Day 7: Easy Run TM 8.0 mil 59:49 HR1 102

Several sets of pull-ups, push-ups, & abs sprinkled in here and there

Mileage for the week: 41.4

I've always wondered if you use the incline on the treadmill. Generally no: using it even moderately can precipitate biomechanical issues in some folks, so I tend to avoid it. However, brief interval-like uses of the incline feature (such as on day 6 above) can be useful when you haven't done hills lately.

Aren't you supposed to use the incline if you run indoors to compensate for (lack of) wind resistance? There's a 1996 study that people like to cite that showed a 1% incline on the treadmill is more or less equivalent to outdoors running. (The study was done with 9 trained male runners.) Personally I prefer to just put a rotating floor fan in front of the treadmill and crank it up to recreate the missing wind resistance. But, well, folks don't like it when I do that at the gym for some reason... ("What's this bozo doing carrying around a floor fan?")

How's the metatarsalgia doing? Better, but not healed yet. I'm thinking it's more of a plantar fascia (PF) issue, given the symptoms. And that makes more sense, as I've been experimenting with new orthotics lately. As usual, we have them surrounded in their tanks. Ahem, excuse me, I mean: as usual, I'm aggressively treating it (for PF, compression and proper orthotics).

Predictions for the half marathon next week? I'll set some goals, sure.
Doable: 1:28. That's roughly what I ran the last one in, and the conditions probably won't be worse.
Reach: 1:27. Given my speed work this week, a pace of 6:38 seems maintainable if all else goes well.
Dream: 1:26. That would represent a pace roughly 10 seconds faster per mile than what I ran last time, which would surprise me.

You probably heard that Peter Snell passed. He'll be remembered as one of the greatest middle distance runners in the history of the sport. His 800-meter times in the 1960s were still gold-medal competitive into the 2000s. And he was trained by Lydiard. May he rest in peace.

FortyPlusRunner

**Half Marathon Update**

Weather forecast for the half marathon: constant heavy rain and 30mph winds. The race organizers are seriously considering whether or not even to have the race.

In any case, all bets are off in terms of the time goals mentioned in my previous log. If the race is even held, I’ll be very happy to run a 1:30 in those kinds of conditions.

If the race gets cancelled, there’s another half marathon in two weeks within driving distance of my current location. Racing that one will require me, however, to train through the Christmas season—something I’m loath to do.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 16
Body weight: ? (no scale in my current location)

Day 1: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 37:36 HR1 105
Day 2: Rest (long air travel day)
Day 3: Easy Run, misty, windy 12-16mph, hilly 230 ft. TE, 5.1 mil 39:04
Day 4 I: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 39:13 HR1 96
Day 4 II: Single, easy sets of Lat pulldown, Pec Fly, etc.
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Very Easy Run TM 3.0 mil 24:34 HR1 99
Day 7: Half Marathon Race, very humid 90% RH, very windy 14-30mph, 1:28:24; 15.1 mil total

Mileage for the week: 33

That race didn’t go as well as you wanted, I take it. The first four miles were fantastic: 6:38 pace, plus or minus a few seconds each, and my breathing was holding well. Then, slowly but surely, and totally against my will, I started to slow down. Though my legs wanted to go faster, breathing became more and more difficult. I eked out 6:55 pace for most of the final miles, but each of those was like breathing through a straw.

It’s possible I experienced some kind of asthma issue, even though I was very careful with my medications. There’s a phenomenon known as “paradoxical bronchospasm” that happens with some asthma patients, and its symptoms seem to match what happened to me. I’ll have to consult my doctor.

I also may have overtrained. I’ve been very, very tired this week—never a good sign, especially when you’re tapering—and air travel tends to exacerbate my chronic sinus issues. I may have to reevaluate my training approach. Comparing the training I did this time around with the training I did for the last half marathon, I did more mileage this time—and most of it at a faster pace, to boot—but more + faster is not necessarily better, especially at my age. Just because you can do the training doesn’t mean you should… I may need to focus more on recovery.

In any case, I’m glad the race wasn’t a total wash.

What’s next? A few days off from running, and I may do a short Fighter or OP I/A block just to maintain some basic Max Strength levels. OHP and WPU for sure; maybe some light DL, too.