FortyP's 9 sets of Deadlift per week log

FortyPlusRunner

Re: FortyP's 9 sets of Deadlift per week log

Post by FortyPlusRunner »

Race Recovery Week
Body weight: ? (no scale in my current location)
Notation is sets x reps x weight in lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, LME = local muscular endurance workout, WC = wind chill, OHP = overhead press, WPU = weighted pull-ups , DL = deadlift

Days 1-3: Rest
Day 4: Easy Run, undulating, windy, 4.1 mil 31:45
Day 5 I: OHP 3x5x75, WPU 2x3x(BW+10), DL 1x3x225
Day 5 II: Very Easy Run TM 3.0 mil 23:51 HR1 96
Day 6: Easy Run, undulating, warm, humid, windy 11-13mph, 4.2 mil 32:39
Day 7: Rest

Mileage for the week: 11

The recovery week treating you well? Not as well as I'd like. I'm still very, very tired; I suspect I'm fighting off an ear/sinus thing. I may need to take a whole week off of running and just focus on a small Max Strength cycle.

Are you going to stick with the weights you did on day 5? OHP felt right; I can probably move up to 5x5 with that. WPU were difficult; I may have to intersperse them with BW pull-ups. DL was fine but felt more like a 90% effort, so I'll back off on that a bit.

Merry Christmas, dude. I triple guarantee you, there are no days I enjoy better.

FortyPlusRunner

Block 13: OP I/A + occasional race recovery runs
Week 1
Body weight: ? (no scale in this location)
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, LME = local muscular endurance workout, WC = wind chill, OHP = overhead press, WPU = weighted pull-ups , DL = deadlift, ATG-SQ = as*-to-grass squats

Day 1: OHP 5x5x75, DL 3x3x185, WPU 4x3x(BW+10)
Day 2: Easy Run, windy, hilly 220 ft. TE, 5.0 mil 38:38
Day 3: Rest (**EAR/SINUS INFECTION**)
Day 4: ATG-SQ 1x3x135, OHP 5x5x75, DL 1x3x185, BW pull-ups 2x4
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: ATG-SQ 5x5x115, OHP 5x5x80, DL 1x3x205, WPU 4x3x(BW+10)

Mileage for the week: 5

You're doing a*s-to-grass squats? At YOUR age?! Yes--an experiment to see if squats at lower weights and a fuller range of motion won't interfere with distance running.

Sorry about the infection. Yeah, thanks--but as I've said before, I'm prone to these things and can't often do a thing to prevent them. What's remarkable is that I haven't had one this season until now; usually I get one in November.

I'm guessing you're going to have a very happy New Year? I will only answer reasonable questions.

FortyPlusRunner

--> And now, the "I haven't posted in a month" official catch-up post <--

Block 13: OP I/A + occasional race recovery runs
Week 2
Body weight: 174
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, BP = bench press, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, LME = local muscular endurance workout, WC = wind chill, OHP = overhead press, WPU = weighted pull-ups , DL = deadlift, ATG-SQ = as*-to-grass squats

Days 1-4: Rest (Sinus/Ear infection worse than I thought)
Day 5: ATG-SQ 5x5x115, OHP 5x5x80, DL 1x3x205, pull-ups 3x4xBW
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: ATG-SQ 3x5x115, OHP 5x3x85, DL 1x3x225, pull-ups 3x5xBW
--

Week 3
Body weight: 173

Day 1: Easy+ Run, cold, windy 13-18mph, hilly 220 ft. TE, 4.1 mil 31:42, +1 mil cool down
Days 2 -6: Rest (Sinus/Ear infection resisting first round of antibiotics; may need round two)
--

Week 4
Body weight: 169

Day 1: ATG-SQ 3x5x125, OHP 3x5x85, DL 1x2x255
Days 2-3: Rest (Begin round two of treatment for nasty sinus/ear infection)
Day 4: SE 3x10: KB swing (50-lb KB), push-ups, KB row
Day 6: ATG-SQ 1x3x135 (with pause at bottom of each) + 2x5x105, OHP 3x3x95, DL 1x3x205, pull-ups 4x4xBW, URRow 1x5x60
--

Week 5
Body weight: 167

Day 1: SE 4x15: KB swing (50-lb KB), push-ups, KB row
Days 2-3: Rest
Day 4: SE 2x20: KB swing (50-lb KB), push-ups, KB row
Day 6: SE 5x10: KB swing (50-lb KB), push-ups, KB row
Day 7: Easy+ Run 4.1 mil 31:18

Dude, are you okay? Not really. Let me count the ways.

First, the sinus/ear infection that hit me this season is one of the worst I've had in a long time. It resisted the normal antibiotics and has required fairly intense treatment the past few weeks. My doctor is at the point now where he's actually recommending surgery. At my age (late 40s), that's a bit dicey, especially considering sinus surgery is, at best, a crapshoot. But it's gotta be better than what I'm going through every winter.

Second, the fatigue accompanying the sickness has put me out of commission, more or less, from serious exercise the past month or so, as you can see from the above. Like most of you reading this, I suspect, when I don't exercise, I get cranky, and that's not fun for anybody, especially when you have a family.

Third, and probably most significantly, a good, young friend of mine died a few weeks ago under bizarre circumstances. The investigation shed some light on the matter, thankfully, but did nothing to take away the tragedy of it. I don't know about you, but grief hits me mostly in the body: I can process it intellectually (to a point), but my body goes into "fatigue mode." I hear this kind of "grieving in the body" is fairly typical. In any case, if you're the religious type, I know his family would appreciate your prayers for him.

Wow. I'm sorry, man. Thanks. It's just what I've been dealing with this past month--fairly typical for most of us, I suspect, at one time or another.

FortyPlusRunner

Block 14: Distance running training
Week 1
Body weight: 165

Day 1: SE 3x10 with 50-lb KB: Goblet squat, row, push-ups, swing
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: SE 3x12 with 50-lb KB: Goblet squat, row, push-ups, swing
Day 4: Run TM 4.0 mil 31:06 HR1 132
Day 5: SE 2x25 with 50-lb KB: Goblet squat, row, push-ups, swing
Day 6: Easy+ Run, windy, cool, 5.0 mil 37:59
Day 7: Easy Run TM 4.0 mil 31:36 HR1 110

Mileage for the week: 13

Getting back into it, I see. Slowly. The plan is 10-15 this week (actual: 13); 20-25 next week; and then 30-35 until the weather breaks. We're still dealing with below-zero wind chills in the mornings here, so it may be a while.

Are you doing some kind of base building, then? Exactly. This past week, you probably noticed, looks like a less intense version of the Green schedule.

I'm guessing, though, you're going to throw in one faster effort per week? Doing so has been beneficial in the past, and authorities like Lydiard do say you can/ought to throw in an occasional tempo run every now and then in your base building. You have to be careful, though, not to interfere with the point of base building: aerobic capacity. When in doubt, slow it down.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 2
Body weight: 163
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, WC = wind chill

Day 1: Stamina Run 4.0 mil @ 7:12-p (including 6:57 and 7:03); 5.1 mil total
Day 2: Easy Run TM 4.0 mil 31:37 HR1 108
Day 3: Very Easy SE 3x10: push-ups, rows (50-lb KB)
Day 4: Easy+ Run TM 5.0 mil 37:23 HR1 126
Day 5: Easy Run TM 4.0 mil 31:57 HR1 109
Day 6: Easy+ Run, windy, cool, 6.1 mil 45:45
Day 7: Recovery Run, windy, cool, hilly 480 ft. TE, 4.1 mil 34:15

Light sets of pull-ups and push-ups sprinkled in throughout the week

Mileage for the week: 28

Day 3 was essentially a rest day, right? Basically. It doesn't get much easier than 30 push-ups and rows split into three sets. But even that little bit is preferable right now to a complete rest day.

You've been able to run outside a few days? Amazingly, yes. Punxsutawney Phil may be correct this year...

Any other thoughts? Not really. It's early in the season. I'll have some indication of how things are going once I do my first track workout, which probably won't be for a few weeks, at least. Until then... the base building grind.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 3
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, WC = wind chill

Day 1: Stamina Run, windy, cool, 3.0 mil @ 6:57-p; 5.1 mil total 37:28
Day 2: Very Easy SE 5x10: rows (50-lb KB), push-ups
Day 3: Stamina Run TM 4.0 mil @ 7:06-p; total 5.0 mil 36:33 HR1 120
Day 4: Easy Run TM 4.0 mil 31:37 HR1 100
Day 5: Undulating Run, 210 ft. TE, cold, windy 16-22 mph, 4.1 mil 32:06
Day 6: "Long" Run, one hill, cold, windy 16-24 mph, 8.5 mil 1:02:50
Day 7: Group Recovery Run, very hilly 520 ft. TE, 4.0 mil 42:28

Mileage for the week: ~31

Four days of running outside? Yeah, but I got pretty beat up by those winds on days 5 and 6. When they're gusting that high, it doesn't matter what direction you run: you get battered. At one point a truck passed by going a little faster than it should have, and the cumulative force of the truck's passing and the gusting wind quite literally stopped me in my tracks. Thus, as you can see, I took things very, very easy on day 7 (running with a friend always helps).

Aren't you overdoing it a bit in terms of faster workouts, if you're thinking this is base building? You're right, you're right. I had the same thought on day 5, and I probably should have run indoors on day 6 as a result. I'll adjust this coming week to make sure I don't get into overtraining.

When's your first race of the season? Not sure. Maybe a month from now. It's hard to predict or plan because of the crazy weather around here. It could be lovely and temperate a few weeks from now, or it could be sub-zero with wind chills. And with my sinus issues, I have to be careful.

Any changes this season in terms of diet or gear? I'm currently eating a moderate carb diet, which means 250-300 grams of carbs per day for me (the TDEE calculator more or less agrees). Any more carbs than that and I gain weight--must be my insulin response or something.

In terms of shoes, I'm trying some new things, and the results are mixed, so I'm hesitant to say anything right now. We'll see how it goes. I can say this much: I think I'm no longer sold on the whole "zero drop" concept, even though I ran exclusively in zero-drop shoes for several months with no issues. Again, though, I'm going to have to experiment a bit before I come to a conclusion.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 4

Day 1: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 39:24 HR1 105
Day 2: Progression Run TM, 4.0 mil @ 7:05-pace; 5.0 mil total HR1 114
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 39:24 HR1 99
Day 5: Tempo Run TM 3.1 mil @ 6:42-pace, including one quarter-mile at 4% incline; 4.6 mil total HR1 112
Day 6: Group Long Run, windy 10-14mph, hilly 600 ft. TE, 10.1 mil 1:33:51
Day 7: Easy+ Run, windy 10-16mph, 5.1 mil 37:44

Several sets of pull-ups and knuckle push-ups throughout the week

Mileage for the week: ~35

A full rest day? Gasp! Believe it or not. I was looking forward to the tempo run on day 5 (even if it was on a treadmill), so I rested up.

Knuckle push-ups, eh? I prefer them, honestly: for some reason they put less stress on my shoulder that has the pin in it, and the way you position your arms for knuckle push-ups more closely resembles running.

Your HR1s are starting to look normal again. Yeah, they're dropping. Once they get into the mid-90s for easy days, I'll be ready to kick things up a notch.

Why don't you do WHR? You mean waking heart rate, I'm assuming? There is some evidence (that controls for other factors) that monitoring one's waking heart rate (sometimes called morning heart rate) is an effective way to spot overtraining. I might start doing it again. I could certainly use more warning signs when it comes to overtraining, especially at my age.

Any more thoughts on gear--shoes, in particular? I have some disconnected thoughts that I haven't organized yet, but I'll throw them out there so you can play along at home, if you like.

First thought: many midfoot/forefoot strikers (of which I am one) will need specific forefoot cushioning. Take a look at the Fuel Cell Rebel or the much-discussed Vaporfly to see examples of shoes that meet the need.

Second thought: look at the drops on those shoes: they're all over the place. Sure, the Kinvara and a few other forefoot-friendly shoes are 4mm drop ("low drop"), but some are significantly higher in drop (8mm and even higher). I'm not aware of a zero-drop shoe currently in mass production that is made specifically for midfoot/forefoot strikers, but I could be missing something. Yes, there are shoes that will suffice like the Altra Torin, but as far as I can tell we have a missing link: a zero-drop shoe made just for the mid/fore folks. (Some boutique shoes like Newton may qualify.)

Third thought: the zero-drop movement is heavily linked with the minimalist movement. A 9oz or heavier zero-drop shoe like the Altra Torin Plush or the Topo Magnifly is an outlier.

Current hazy conclusion based on not much evidence and not really thoroughly considered: zero-drop shoes are, at least for now, not the best match for midfoot/forefoot strikers.

My own anecdotal testing will, of course, continue.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 5
Body weight: 162
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, AHR = average heart rate, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, WC = wind chill, AHR = average heart rate

Day 1: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 39:25 HR1 94
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: TRK 6 x 200m w/ 200m jog; 400m jog; 6 x 200m w/ 200m jog (all 200m average: 39.2); 7.2 mil total
Day 4: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 39:51 HR1 102
Day 5: Group Long Run, windy, 13.1 mil 1:42:03
Day 6: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 39:46 HR1 101
Day 7: Mixed Run TM 2 mil easy, 1 mil marathon pace (6:50), 2 mil easy; 5.0 mil total 38:22 HR1 102 AHR 148

Several sets of push-ups and pull-ups throughout the week; some strides after some easy days

Mileage for the week: 40.3

Wait just a second...this looks suspiciously like...a Daniels Running Formula week! What can I say. You're right.

No! You're a Lydiard guy! A Hansons dude! A Pfitzinger fan! Calm down, bro. Switching training plans isn't like switching political parties (though some folks certainly make it seem that way). Hopefully you're aware of fellrnr's wiki? He's convinced me to try Daniels, especially since I ran afoul of overtraining a few months ago and want to avoid that again at all costs.

Why'd you run a half marathon on day 5? I ran the distance, not a race--important distinction. In any case, a friend in his 60s wanted to do 13.1 at marathon pace, so I joined him for it. His lifetime PR is 1:59, and he went sub-1:57 this time. He might be ready to qualify for Boston! Exciting. (He preferred me to "rabbit," by the way.)

Did you wear a heart rate monitor on day 7? I did, which is why that AHR reading is there. I was interested to see what would happen for the middle marathon pace mile, especially at the end of a higher mileage week (for me, for now). It was steady at 160 or 161 for that middle mile, which may seem high for someone my age, but my maximum heart rate is somewhere in the 190s. In any case, it's a baseline to compare with in the future.

Any more disconnected, overly obvious thoughts on gear? I didn't say this last week, but it's clear that the issues of zero-drop and specific cushioning (forefoot, heel, etc.) have something to do with cadence. Daniels gets another point on this score: proper running cadence eliminates a lot of mechanical issues. It's not a panacea, but it's probably one of those things runners should get right if they want to avoid, well, avoidable problems.

In other news, I was disappointed with the heel design of the Peg Turbo: it's way too loose on me. I love the springiness of the midsole and the responsive forefoot cushioning, but I can't get comfortable in them because of the extra space in the heel. A shame.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 6
Body weight: 162 / 163

Day 1: Rest
Day 2: Easy Run TM 4.3 mil 33:15 HR1 106
Day 3: TRK 3 x (200, 200, 400 w/ equal jogs), average 41, 41, 1:23.5; 5.8 mil total
Day 4: Easy Run TM 3.8 mil 30:23 HR1 97
Day 5: TRK 3 x mile w/ 2:00 rests (6:27, 6:21, 6:29); 6.0 mil total
Day 6: Easy Run TM 7.0 mil, 3 x .25-mil @ 4%, 55:39 HR1 104
Day 7: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 2 x .25-mil @ 2%, 38:54 HR1 99

Sets of push-ups, pull-ups, and some strides throughout the week

Mileage for the week: 32

Decrease the mileage, increase the intensity? More or less. But I normally wouldn't do a semi-longer run (day 6) the day after a track workout; I did that only because of rough weather conditions (I knew I wouldn't be able to do a track workout days 6 or 7).

Are you prepping for a race? I was, but it got cancelled, just like everything else. It's probably only a matter of time before all the gyms get closed. Hope you have a kettlebell at home...

What's the plan now? Back to higher mileage, I think. There will be no races for the foreseeable future (they're all being cancelled), so I might as well begin thinking and training long-term.

Any updates on gear? I haven't run in them yet, but I finally got a pair of FuelCell Rebel shoes. They fit perfectly and feel fantastic. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Any further thoughts on cadence? The only thing I might add to the already helpful information out there is that, like anything else, improvement often happens in steps. In other words, if you measure your cadence at 156, don't expect to run 180 immediately. You'll likely want to step up slowly: 158-160 for a week, 162-164 the next week, etc. A reliable metronome app can be very helpful.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 7
Body weight: 162 lbs

--> THIS IS THE WEEK ALL THE GYMS CLOSED IN MY AREA <--

Day 1: Rest
Day 2: TRK 12 x 200 w/ 200 jogs (42.4 average); 7 mil total
Day 3: Easy+ Run, breezy, 6.1 mil 45:56
Day 4: Hilly Run, rain, wind, 390 ft TE, 5.1 mil 39:30
Day 6: Easy warm-up, 5K tempo @ 6:40-pace, then 6.1 miles easy (46:17); 10.4 mil total
Day 7: Hilly Run, cool, windy, 950 ft. TE, 7.1 mil 56:26

Sets of push-ups, pull-ups, and strides here and there

Mileage for the week: 35.7

Running in the time of coronavirus. You got that right. Some people look at you like you're nuts. "WTF is that guy doing? He could be home playing Doom Eternal!" Besides the fact that I'm more of a Disco Elysium kind of guy, I think it's more important than ever that we get outside every day and sweat a bit. Thoreau was on to something with that. (Just don't sweat on others, please.)

Did you slow down your 200-meter times (day 2)? Yes: I was pushing a little too hard with those the past couple weeks, resulting in some lingering soreness and fatigue. I'm erring on the side of caution now and trying to follow Daniels' VDOT suggestions more closely.

That day 7 run is pretty hilly! Oh yeah: it's one of the most intense in town; there's hardly a flat section on it. I forced myself to run it mostly because it was one of the only options that avoided (as much as possible) the gusting, icy winds that day. I took it easy, as you can see.

Was that tempo run on day 6 on the roads? Yes, on a road I know well. It's advantageous, I think, to do some tempo running on roads themselves if you're going to be doing some road racing, to acclimatize yourself to the conditions. Of course, there are no road races for at least the next month. :(

I have a wrench to throw in your theory of zero-drop shoes: the Carbon Rocket. Good point, as it's a 1-mm drop shoe (technically not zero-drop, but I do wonder if the one millimeter makes any practical difference). However, nothing about the shoe indicates that it's made specifically with midfoot / forefoot strikers in mind. It's not marketed that way; the heel is not built that way; and the forefoot itself isn't substantially designed for mid/fore folks to take advantage of it (anyone can benefit from the carbon plate). So, though I agree it's a good example of a very low drop racing shoe, I have yet to see a zero-drop shoe specifically made for mid/fore folks. I'm beginning to think they're mutually exclusive, but I would let folks who know far more about physiology make that determination.