FortyP's 9 sets of Deadlift per week log

FortyPlusRunner

Re: FortyP's 9 sets of Deadlift per week log

Post by FortyPlusRunner »

Recovery from Surgery
Week 2
Body weight: 161 lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation

--> THIS IS THE WEEK I RETURNED TO THE GYM AND FOUND IT NEARLY EMPTY EVERY TIME <--

Day 1: Windy Run 17-30mph, very warm, 5.1 mil 40:36
Day 2: Rest (heavy fatigue)
Day 3: Easy Run TM, 4 x .25-mil incline repeats @ 4%, 5.0 mil 40:14 HR1 110
Day 4: Easy Run, warm, windy, 8.1 mil 1:02:22
Day 5: Easy Run TM 5.0 mil 38:19 HR1 105
Day 6: Group Run, warm, hilly 680 ft. TE, 11.3 mil 1:46:43
Day 7: Easy Run TM 6.0 mil 46:02 HR1 110

A couple sets of KB-rows (50-lb KB) and push-ups, just to test the waters

Mileage for the week: 40.5

Hmm...looks like you had a change of plans. Yes, for several reasons.

First, I had a setback at the beginning of the week: I started showing signs of an infection, which is very common with sinus surgery, so my ENT put me back on an antibiotic. With the attendant fatigue, I decided to do shorter runs and, if I felt well, more of them. By the end of the week the antibiotic was in full swing and I was starting to feel better.

Second, I knew I'd be able to join a slow and easy (but hilly) run on day 6, so I tried to surround that day with shorter runs in order to maximize the "endurance stacking" effect.

So, the plan for this week was 70-75% of max mileage in five days of running; instead, I did 75% in 6 days of running. That worked out just fine.

Your HR1 readings look pretty high. There are several reasons for that, not least of which is that I'm still recovering from the surgery. I feel like I'm at 2/3rds strength right now, maybe edging towards 3/4rs. One other major reason: I had heavy-duty caffeine on each of those days (I realize "heavy-duty" may mean a lot for some of you out there; for me, it's ~200mg; anything more than that gives me the jitters).

What's it like working out at a nearly empty gym in the middle of the day? Very strange, especially with the only folks in sight wearing masks and probing you for temperature readings. (TNG's "Frame of Mind," anyone?)

I know it might be too early to tell, but...as a runner, are you glad you had the surgery? I say this without hyperbole: for the first time in my life, I can actually breathe through both sides of my nose at the same time. It's...exhilarating! Is this what breathing is like for the rest of you? Wow.

FortyPlusRunner

Recovery from Surgery
Week 3
Body weight: 162 lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation

--> THIS IS THE WEEK IN WHICH MOST FOLKS IN MY AREA HAVE MADE KNOWN (AT LEAST TACITLY) THAT THE 'PANDEMIC' AS FAR AS THEY ARE CONCERNED IS PRETTY MUCH OVER <--

Day 1: Rest
Day 2: Easy Run, warm, humid, 200 ft. TE, 10.0 mil 1:16:32
Day 3: Easy Run TM, 2 x .25-mil pickups @ 7:30-pace, 5.0 mil 39:43 HR1 102
Day 4: Easy+ Run, windy 8-16mph, hilly 460 ft TE, 10.1 mil 1:16:57
Day 5: Easy Run, windy, 10.1 mil 1:16:57
Day 6: Group Run, hilly 500 ft. TE, 11.0 mil 1:40:08 (final mile: 7:10)
Day 7: Easy Run TM, 3 x .25-mil pickups @ 7:30-pace, 5.0 mil 39:37 HR1 106

Sets of KB-rows (50-lb KB), push-ups, and core sprinkled in throughout the week

Mileage for the week: 51

Looks like someone's feeling better. Almost. I'd say I'm about 90% there...maybe 95%. There's some lingering fatigue and some mild discomfort in my nose / sinuses still, but one more week should bring me back to full health, thank heavens.

Why 10+ miles three days in a row (days 4 - 6)? We had unseasonably mild weather here, so I took advantage of it. Also, notice that I turned down the difficulty with each day: windy + hilly the first day, flat the second day, super-easy pace the third day (except for the final mile, which was a brief "fast finish" test to see how I was feeling). Normally I'd prefer 12-6-12, or 10-6-14, but circumstances like weather and availability of other runners dictated otherwise.

What's with those "pickups" on the easy treadmill days? They break up the monotony of being on a treadmill while keeping things easy. They can also prompt me to work on more efficient cadence: I try to transition from the slightly faster pickups to the slower easy pace by keeping the cadence or stride rate the same (which on a treadmill especially forces you to shorten your stride length).

What's the next stage or block, then? Family vacation next week, so this coming week will simply be maintenance. It looks like some races are starting to be rescheduled for August, which is great news.

FortyPlusRunner

Vacation
mid-June to mid-July
Body weight: 174 lbs

--> THESE WERE THE WEEKS IN WHICH THE VIRUS REARED ITS 'SECOND WIND' UGLY HEAD <--

Vacation activity 1: Ocean swimming (with fins) and/or bodysurfing, 1-2 hours per day; about 1 week
Vacation activity 2: Occasional runs, 4-10 miles; one or two runs per week at most
Vacation activity 3: Burpees and/or 8-count body builders; a few sets here and there
Vacation activity 4: "Come here, kids" exercises: "child on shoulders" squats, "child in arms" bent-over rows, etc.; a few sets
Vacation activity 5: NOTHING. REST. LOTS OF REST. EAT. DRINK. BE MERRY.

You gained twelve pounds in just under a month?! And my pants still fit. Imagine that. Look, I've said it before: on vacation I eat things I normally don't eat, and I drink things I normally don't drink. I don't become a total slob, but I do enjoy myself thoroughly; some of that weight gain is excess fat. But swimming in the ocean for two hours a day, especially when you don't do it most of the year, builds muscle quickly (think about the resistance of water that is constantly moving). So some of it is muscle. In any case, give me about a month or so to get back into running shape.

What kind of fins do you use for ocean swimming? NOT the UDT fins, if that's what you're thinking (they're fine, by the way--just not my style). I really like the Viper fins for their thrust, but I also like the Churchill fins for maneuverability. Just depends on what the tides and rips are like.

Are you completely recovered from sinus surgery? Almost. A small blood clot came out last week in a sinus rinse, which surprised me (it's been nearly two months, after all). I did have a minor setback in the middle of vacation: it became obvious that I had another ear infection, which means the antibiotic I was on after the surgery didn't kill all the bacteria. So we switched antibiotics, and I'm doing better.

What's the plan now? I thought we'd be looking forward to upcoming races, but the second wave of the pandemic has hit pretty hard in some areas, so who knows. In any case, time to do some base building to get back into distance running shape.

FortyPlusRunner

Distance Running Training
Week 1
Body weight: 172 lbs

Day 6, last week: Easy Run, very warm, 4.1 mil 31:55; with cool down, 5.3 mil total
Day 7, last week: Group Run, humid, 560 ft. TE, 10.1 mil 1:35:07
Day 1: Easy Run, humid, 6.1 mil 47:50
Day 2: Easy Run TM 4.0 mil 32:23 HR1 107
Day 3: Easy Run TM 4.0 mil 31:26 HR1 107
Day 4: Group Run, ultra humid, 650 ft. TE, 10.1 mil 1:33:03
Day 5: Rest / light SE
Day 6: Easy+ Run, hot, windy 18-28mph, 4.0 mil 32:30
Day 7: Rest

Sets of KB-rows (50-lb KB) and push-ups thrown in throughout the week

Mileage, day 6 last week to day 5: ~40
Mileage, day 7 last week to day 6: ~38
Mileage for the week: 28

Isn't that a little intense for your first week back? Maybe. The ten-milers were done at very easy pace, as you can see, and the treadmill days were basically recovery runs. To make sure I wasn't getting into too much too quickly, I eased off significantly at the end of the first full week.

No more questions at this time. Good. Running in the heat and humidity doesn't lend itself to verbosity.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 2
Body weight: 171 lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, AHR = average heart rate, HR1 = heart rate 1 minute after stopping, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation

--> THIS WAS THE WEEK WE HAD THE HIGHEST SINGLE-DAY NUMBER OF NEW COVID CASES IN MY AREA SINCE THE WHOLE THING BEGAN <--

Day 1: Easy+ Run, warm, humid, 8.0 mil 1:03:44
Day 2: Easy Run, ultra humid, 5.7 mil 45:30 AHR 153
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Easy+ Run, ultra humid, 9.6 mil 1:15:16 AHR 169
Day 5: Recovery Run TM, 4.0 mil 32:45 AHR 146
Day 6: Easy+ Run, warm, very humid, 320 ft. TE, 8.1 mil 1:03:52 AHR 161; 9.2 miles total
Day 7: Recovery Run TM, 4.0 mil 32:45 AHR 148

Sets of BW pull-ups, KB rows, push-ups, and/or core thrown in throughout the week

Mileage for the week: 40.5

This is as close as I've ever seen you get to a Pfitzinger / Douglas schedule. True. I'll probably use one of theirs for my next half-marathon prep (hopefully October).

You started doing pull-ups again? It's been a while (a couple months?), but yes. I know a lot of distance runners don't like them--they're afraid they'll add weight or muscle density they don't need--but I find they help strengthen the core in ways that other exercises don't. Maybe that's because I do them as full-range / dead hang pull-ups?

That AHR for day 4 looks a little intense, given your age. Agreed. Effort-wise, I was definitely pushing it that day, and the weather conditions made it all the more challenging. I haven't done a maximum heart rate test in a while, which I probably should, especially now that I'm wearing one of these so-called "fitness trackers" that I got as a birthday gift.

Ah--are you still FORTYPlusRunner? Technically I'll be FortyPlus for the rest of my life, which saves me from ever having to change my nickname here. ;) But, to answer your question just a little more specifically, I will say that I now would be in my very last year if my name were "FortiesRunner."

FortyPlusRunner

Week 3
Body weight: 168 lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, AHR = average heart rate, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation

--> THIS IS THE WEEK SOME SCHOOLS IN MY AREA STATED THEY'D BE OPENING VERY SOON, TO THE IRE OF THOSE WHO INSIST WE WAIT UNTIL AFTER LABOR DAY <--

Day 1: Rest
Day 2: TRK, warm, ultra humid (fog), 4 x mile (average 6:41) with "HR < 120" rests in between; 8.1 mil total
Day 3: SE 2x15 (KB swing, Goblet squats, push-ups, etc.)
Day 4: Easy Run, warm, ultra humid (rain), windy 10-15mph, 9.4 mil 1:11:42 AHR 164
Day 5: Recovery Run TM 4.0 mil 32:45 AHR 146
Day 6: Fast-finish Group Run, very humid, 540 ft. TE, 12.1 mil 1:46:35; final two miles in 13:52
Day 7: SE 2x15

Mileage for the week: 33.6

I'm assuming you decreased your mileage because you added speedwork. Correct. Not doing so can lead to overtraining very quickly (as it has in the past for me), especially at my age. 80% this week; 90% next week; then back to standard mileage before attempting to do a buildup.

You dropped three pounds since last week? I find it takes two to three weeks for the metabolism to really kick in after an extended break. But it finally started to do that last week, yes.

Any news on the racing front? There's a race in late September near me that hasn't been canceled yet. That would be a good tune-up for a fall half marathon. I'll be watching it...

FortyPlusRunner

Week 4
Body weight: 168 lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, AHR = average heart rate, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, SBK = stationary bike

--> THIS IS THE WEEK TWO OF MY OUT-OF-STATE RELATIVES RECOVERED FROM WHAT TURNED OUT TO BE COVID <--

Day 1: Hilly Run, windy, humid, 1040 ft. TE, 8.0 mil 59:43 AHR 163
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Easy+ Run, humid, 360 ft. TE, 10.1 mil 1:15:54 AHR 160
Day 4: SE 2x15
Day 5: Recovery Run TM 5.0 mil 40:52 AHR 146
Day 6: Group Run, ultra humid, very windy 13-20mph, 13.2 mil 1:51:06 AHR 148
Day 7: SBK 7.5 mil 25:04 AHR 117

[Mileage, day 4 last week to day 3 this week: 43]
Mileage for the week: 36.3

Stationary bike?! I've found that, under certain circumstances, very light cross-training (~60% effort) helps me recover more quickly than doing nothing at all. We'll see how it works out.

Your group long run (day 6) looks like it was a little on the slow side. Given the weather conditions, yes: we took it easy. You know it's a bad day when even a 20mph headwind doesn't dry up the humidity-invoked sweatbath that is your running shorts.

Are your relatives okay? Yes, thanks. One of them had a fever for nine days straight but was otherwise unaffected. The other said it hit him like a moderate cold. Both are glad it's over, of course.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 5
Body weight: 167 lbs
TM = treadmill, TRK = track workout, AHR = average heart rate, BW = body weight, KB = kettlebell, TE = total elevation, SBK = stationary bike

--> THIS IS THE WEEK I SAW FOOTBALL PLAYERS DOING DRILLS ON A PRACTICE FIELD WEARING MASKS <--

Day 1: Recovery Run TM 4.0 mil 32:45 AHR 143
Day 2: Easy Run, warm, ultra humid, 10.1 mil 1:18:41 AHR 158
Day 3: Recovery Run TM 4.0 mil 33:58 AHR 140
Day 4: TRK warm, ultra humid, 4 x mile (6:26 average) with "HR < 110" rests in between; 8.1 mil total
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Long Run, warm, ultra humid, 560 ft. TE, 14.1 mil 1:47:01 AHR 169
Day 7: SBK 10.0 mil 33:52 AHR 118

Mileage for the week: 40.3

Just to clarify, what do you mean by "ultra humid"? >85% RH. Or, to put it another way, when the temperature and the dew point are fewer than 5 points apart (e.g., 72F, 68 dew point). When it's both warm and that humid, you have to apply lube in, well, *sensitive* areas (enough said) or you're in for a world of hurt.

That day 3 recovery run is significantly slower. Yes: I wanted to see how slowing down about 20 seconds per mile would affect my AHR. Not that much this week, but we'll see how it goes other weeks.

You increased your rests for your track workout (day 4). Last time it was "HR < 120." Correct. The weather this week was particularly challenging, so I gave myself a little more leeway.

Just the opposite for the long run on day 6? Right: I put forth the same effort I might if the weather were "normal," and you can see the AHR is pretty high as a result. Pfitz and Douglas say that when the temps are >70F and it's humid, you can allow your heart rate to increase by as many as 12 beats to maintain a "normal" effort.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 6
Body weight: 167 lbs

--> THIS WEEK, THE NUMBER OF COVID CASES WHERE I LIVE ONCE AGAIN MULTIPLIED DRAMATICALLY <--

Day 1: Easy Run, humid, 8.1 mil 1:01:51 AHR 155
Day 2: Recovery Run TM 5.0 mil 40:56 AHR 147
Day 3: Easy+ run, ultra humid (fog), 440 ft. TE, 10.0 mil 1:14:01 AHR 158
Day 4: SBK 7.4 mil 25:09 AHR 121
Day 5: Recovery Run TM 4.0 mil 33:36 AHR 141
Day 6: Long Run, ultra humid, 15.1 mil 1:50:51 AHR 164
Day 7: SBK 7.3 mil 25:15 AHR 116

Sets of pull-ups, push-ups, and core thrown in throughout the week

Mileage for the week: ~42

Your day 3 and day 6 runs seem faster than usual. The weather was cooler those days, which probably helped.

No speedwork this week? I could have thrown in some short hill sprints, but I just wasn't up for it. I erred on the side of caution.

Are you still training for a half marathon? The one I was hoping to run in has been cancelled. I'll still train as if I were going to run it, and perhaps I'll do a virtual race.

FortyPlusRunner

Week 7
Body weight: 166 lbs

Day 1: Recovery Run TM 5.0 mil 41:58 AHR 144
Day 2: TRK, very humid, 3-miler @ 6:35-pace, rest to HR < 110, 2-miler @ 6:39-pace; 9.1 mil total
Day 3: Rest / Very Easy SE (KB rows and push-ups)
Day 4: Easy+ Run, warm, ultra humid, 10.1 mil 1:13:43 AHR 166
Day 5: Recovery Run TM 4.0 mil 33:59 AHR 137
Day 6: Short Hill Sprints: warm up, 6 x 10-12 seconds hill sprints with full rest in between, cool down; 4.3 mil total
Day 7: Group Long Run, very humid, 900 ft TE, 16.0 mil 2:20:06 AHR 142

Some pull-ups, push-ups, and core here and there

Mileage for the week: 48.5

Is that 16-miler the longest run you've recorded since you've been on TB? I think so. I've done a few 15-milers in the past year or so, but not a 16-miler, and certainly not for that much total time. I haven't done a continuous run of 140 minutes since... hmm... it's probably been twenty-five years. No wonder I was sore.

Why are those hill sprints so short? Pfitz and Douglas cite a study from 2013 that uses hill sprints of that short a duration to improve running economy and at the same time not interfere with distance running training. Doing hill sprints longer than that will definitely provide improvements of a different sort, but you don't want to get into "competing adaptations" territory.

That AHR on day 5 looks lower than usual. Yes: it might be a sign of improved fitness. We'll have to see.

Where's the --> ALL CAPS COVID UPDATE <-- this week? I can't really write about it, since the place where I work nearly got shut down by the government this week. Hundreds of people were very, very close to being placed under what amounted to house arrest for no good reason. Grr.

FortyP says he can't write about it, then writes about it. LOL. Le Sigh.