Boon’s Training Notebook

godjira1

Boon’s Training Notebook

Post by godjira1 »

Introduction: I am a 39 year old, in reasonably good shape, trying to balance the demands of getting better at bjj, having a good aerobic base, decent amount of strength, and oh, real life too.

Constraints: have a few injuries that are unlikely to heal fully - main ones are a wonky left shoulder (judo injury when i was back in high school), and a right knee without an acl (more recent vintage injury, courtesy of judo as well back in Jul17).

I was an infantry officer (conscription) and did my usual peace time callup (a couple weeks/year) until I was 32. So long story short was that I fell out of shape after, got back into shape and am now trying to make incremental changes.

Current program is simple, a 2 week program that runs for most of the year except Dec/Jan which I use for my aerobic base building. In Tactical Barbell terms I use a Fighter Template, rep/sets are closer to 5/3/1 style though.

Wk A:
Day 1: BJJ
Day 2: 2 lift cluster (lite) + dynamic plyo
Day 3: BJJ (option rest)
Day 4: 2 lift cluster (med) + dynamic plyo
Day 5: BJJ
Day 6: REST
Day 7: Endurance

Wk B:
Day 2: Lower body (heavy) + box jumps
Day 4: Upper body (heavy) + dynamic plyo

Lifts: i cycle between A) Deadlift + BP or OHP; B) Front Squat + Pullups. A few times a year I sub it with the simple & sinister plan (kb swings and tgu).

Endurance: i generally do long steady state maf type runs. 3-7 miles is the general range.
Last edited by godjira1 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Barkadion

Re: Boon’s Training Notebook

Post by Barkadion »

godjira1 wrote:Quick introduction: I am a 39 year old, in reasonably good shape, trying to balance the demands of getting better at bjj, having a good aerobic base, decent amount of strength, and oh, real life too.

I was an infantry officer long ago and did my usual peace time callup (a couple weeks/year) until I was 32. So long story short was that I fell out of shape after, got back into shape and am trying to make incremental changes.

Current program is simple, a 2 week program that runs for most of the year except Dec/Jan which I use for my aerobic base building.
Wk1:
Day 2: 2 lift cluster (lite) + dynamic plyo
Day 4: 2 lift cluster (med) + dynamic plyo

Wk2:
Day 2: Lower body (heavy) + box jumps
Day 4: Upper body (heavy) + dynamic plyo

Lifts: i cycle between A) Deadlift + BP or OHP; B) Front Squat + Pullups. A few times a year I sub it with the simple & sinister plan (kb swings and tgu).

Endurance: i generally do long steady state maf type runs. 3-7 miles is the general range.
Welcome mate! Happy training!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

godjira1

2017: Oct 16-22 (Week A)

Post by godjira1 »

Thanks Barkadion!

So here is week of 16-22 Oct, will edit as the week goes by.

16-22 OCT 2017
MON: WEIGHTS
lunchtime
1) Sumo Deadlift 3x3 100kg 2m//set.
2) Push Press 3x5 50kg 2m//set.
3) Dynamic Knee Rehab 10m (left test, shark skill, etc).
4) 10EMOM C&J 45kg.

TUE: BJJ
am
1) WPU +10.5kg for 5-4-2 reps. 4min//set.
lunchtime
1) BJJ. Learnt some details on tripod/sickle sweeps from open guard. I did well in rolls today, getting the groove back.

WED: BJJ + WEIGHTS
lunchtime
1) BJJ. Knee-on-belly techniques - windshield wiper side change; armbar, baseball choke. A couple of light rolls, nothing fancy.
2) Deadlift 4x2 112.5kg 2m//set
3) Push Press 3x3 55kg 2m//set
4) Sled Push 50m each with 20kg, 40kg, 60kg, 80kg. This was tough after all the stuff I did prior.
Tired. Strength work after BJJ is tough, but I think it's still ok for a medium day. Had to program it this way as THU I won't be able to hit the gym.

THU: REST DAY.
Bjj & weights in same session yesterday = terrible idea. Feel crappy today, didn’t sleep well, heart rate is elevated at 70 in the morning (should be low 50s). Will take a relaxed stroll thru the park and call it a day.

FRI: VARIATION DAY
lunchtime
1) Push Press 6x1 62.5kg 2m//set
2) WPU +10.5kg for 5-4-3 reps. 4m//sets. Superset with 2L2R Pistol Squats
Looks like I had a stomach bug yesterday. Many charcoal pills later I am feeling somewhat human enough to try to train again today - the loads/reps weren't going to be a balls to wall effort so I chanced it.

SAT: REST DAY

SUN: ENDURANCE + LITE WEIGHTS
am
1) 6km Maffetone Run. 40:35, 141bpm avg HR. Not great but to be expected post illness. Retry this next week.
2) Push Press 50kg 3x5, 2m//set.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

Summary for last week: 16-22 Oct17 was tough as I was laid out with a stomach bug for a couple days, but it happens. But otherwise I did manage to do most of what was planned.

23-29 OCT 2017

MON: WEIGHTS
lunchtime
1) Deadlift 6x1 127.5kg 2m//set. This went quite well. I did warmup singles with clean grip up to 120kg.
2) Box Jump Singles, managed a new post acl-injury PR of 38” twice. No failed jumps as I am aiming for slow increments.
3) Push Press 3x3 57.5kg 2m//set. Good.

TUE: BJJ
lunchtime
1) BJJ. Lasso guard - sweep, triangle, and a bicep slicer vs a baited “pass”. Rolls were light, will add hard rolling next week.

WED: WEIGHTS
lunchtime
1) Sumo Deadlift 3x3 100kg, 2m//set. Light day for deadlifts, felt good.
1) Push Press 6x1 65kg, 2m//set. Heavy but do-able. Might need more rest as we move up from here.
2) WPU +10.5kg for 6-4-2, 4m//set. Not bad.
3) 10m Dynamic Knee Rehab (left test, shark skill, soccer dribbles, basketball layups, etc). There was a bit of hesitancy doing the hurdler jump over the low bar but nothing too worrisome I think.

THU: BJJ
lunchtime
Double under pass, to backtake. Harder rolls today, but I did ok.

FRI: LITE WEIGHTS + LITE ENDURANCE
am
1) Push Press 3x5 52.5kg, 3min//set, superset with 3L 3R Pistol Squats (dead stop at bottom).
evening
1) 1hr ruck walk with 10.5kg pack. Had a big dinner and just needed a stroll.

SAT: REST DAY

SUN: LITE ENDURANCE + LITE WEIGHTS
am
1) WPU +10.5kg for 3-4-6. 4m//set.
2) Planned to go for a 6km run but something twinged in my groin during warmup. Not painful per se but doesn’t feel right. Decided that discretion was possibly the better part of valor here and went for an easy swim instead (45min).
3) Bench Press 62.5kg 3x5. 2m//set. Some light variation work.
Last edited by godjira1 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:03 am, edited 13 times in total.

Seabassius

Post by Seabassius »

Don't know that i'm familiar with a "charcoal pill". We gave the dogs activated charcoal once after they ate a binch rat poison. Is it a neutralizer of some sort?

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

Seabassius wrote:Don't know that i'm familiar with a "charcoal pill". We gave the dogs activated charcoal once after they ate a binch rat poison. Is it a neutralizer of some sort?
Yes it’s activated charcoal in pill form. Out here this is generally the first line vs mild food poisoning rather than antibiotics as the latter kill off a lot of the natural flora that you need. https://www.drugs.com/uk/norit-200mg-leaflet.html

Having said that I rather not look charcoal pills in the eye again for a while.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

Summary for 23-29 Oct 2017: Good week of training, just watch that groin twingy thingy.

30th Oct to 5th Nov 2017

MON: BJJ
Lunchtime
1) drills: sprawls vs shoots.
2) crucifix vs turtle to rear ezekiel, RNC and reverse omoplata
3) helicopter choke vs turtle
4) 5 x 7m rolls. In some I was the hammer, others I was the nail. Good fun.

TUE: WEIGHTS
1) Push Press 60kg 3x3, 2m//set
2) Bench Press 72.5kg 3x5, 2m//set
3) Deadlift 115kg 4x2, 130kg x1. 2m//set. Foolishly went for a 145kg single and failed. Keep the plan the plan dammit.

WED: BJJ
Lunchtime
1) BJJ. 5x7m rolls. Butterfly/X/SLX and Shin-on-shin worked well today. From top I was working leg drags and weaves, also good. Submissions were not sharp, got mainly armbars and bow & arrows, usual baseball/ paper cutter/ nutcrackers didn’t show up. Gas tank wasn’t great either, the last roll was tough.

THU: VARIATION (WEIGHTS)
It was either gonna be 10th Planet or variation today but decision was made as somehow I tore off a big chunk of skin on my sole (??? I have no idea how either, prob bjj yesterday but no memory of a cut).
Lunchtime
1) Squat 85kg 3x5, 2m//set.
2) Push Press 67.5kg 6x1, 2m//set.
3) WPU +10.5kg 6-4-3, 4m//set.

FRI: WEIGHTS
lunchtime
1) Bench Press 82.5kg 3x3, 2.5m//set.
2) Deadlifts 130kg 6x1, 2.5m//set.
3) 10 x 10m sprints. 1m//set.
Felt good today. Bench felt a little heavy but I haven’t really been benching much since Aug so to be expected.

SAT: REST
Just chilled.

SUN: LITE ENDURANCE
afternoon
1) Skipping rope. 5 x 5m, 2m//set. Followed by a lazy soak in the pool.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

Review of week 30 Oct to 5 Nov 2017:
Everything went pretty well. Groin tweak/twinge is still there but isn’t actually painful. Continue to monitor.

6 NOV - 12 NOV 2017

am
1) WPU +10.5kg for 6-5-4. 4m//set. 6 felt heavy today... think I ate too much over the weekend.
2) BP 65kg 3x5. 2m//set. Tried wide grip for first set and it set off a weird niggle in my left shoulder. Stick to closer grip.
lunchtime
1) Techniques: a) X pass vs situp guard, b) knee slide without far side underhook vs hg, c) baseball choke vs hg. Followed by 4 x 6m rolls.

lunchtime
Light day generally
1) Push Press 52.5kg 3x5, 2m/set.
2) Bench Press 75kg 3x5, 2m/set.
3) Sumo deadlift 102.5kg 3x3, 2m/set.
4) Box Jumps singles. 38” max, failed at 42”.

WED: NoGi
am
Some nice details on butterfly guard sweep, bolt cutter armbar, spiderweb rollover. 4x6m rolls.

Lunchtime
1) Half guard top to 3/4 mount to Mount
2) Half guard top to ninja roll to truck series
2x7m rolls.

FRI: WEIGHTS
am
1) Push Press 62.5kg 3x3, 2m/set.
2) Bench Press 75kg 3x5, 2m/set.
3) Deadlift 117.5kg 4x2, 3m/set.
Everything felt a bit sluggish and heavy today. But I got thru it... just one of them days!

As it says on the tin.

SUN: ENDURANCE
am
1) E: 90min ruck walk with 12kg pack. I chose a fairly flat route this time...not as fun without elevation changes.
pm
1) Pullups bodyweight 12, 10, 11, 5m/set. Superset with 3L3R pistol squats. I am a little disappointed in this, WPU work doesn’t seem to have helped reps although I did weigh in at 74kg this morning!

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

Review of 6-12 Nov 2017: pretty good week in terms of training. Had 2 big (yuuge) dinners that seemed to stayed on! Shall have to diet it off this week.

13 to 19 November 2017

Lunchtime
Techniques: 1) Broken Kesa, can opener to slide higher up. sneaky wristlock or armlock with leg. 2) Broken Kesa, can opener to slide higher. Step over armlock.
Rolls: 4x6m. Generally happy with performance - BJJ specific fitness is coming back.

Lunchtime
1) Deadlifts 132.5kg 4x1 (plan was 6x1), 3-4m/set. After a shaky 3rd set, extended the rest and 4th went fine. But 5th I just couldn’t lock out. Redo the block with a bit more volume for day1 and 2.
1b) Deadlifts 117.5kg 1x2. On hindsight unwise. My “operating system” was probably a bit fried as these felt heavier than they should.
2) Sprints 10 x 10m, 1m/set. Felt better here.
2) 3x30 Pushups, 1m rest/set. Not bad considering that I have been doing zero SE pretty much.
Disappointed with deadlifts but it happens. Possibly not recovered from BJJ yest as the 130kg for 6x1 went easy.

WED: NOGI
Am
1) Techniques: nogi ko uchi gari and o uchi gari. Butterfly sweep fail to x guard tech standup.
2) 4 x 7m rolls from standing. 1 turned out to be a wrestling match. Bushed!

THU: WEIGHTS
1) Push Press 70kg 6x1, 2m/set. New PR here! Felt heavy but def not a max so happy.
2) Bench Press 85kg 3x3, 3m/set. Good.
3) Pullups 3x10, 4m/set.
Did 10 x 10 air squats interspersed thru the session.

FRI: BJJ
am
1) 4x7m rolls. None that were particularly spirited.
2) Daily Dose Lifts. Trying something a bit different for last 2 weeks of Nov.
Deadlifts 2x1 105kg, 1m/set
Sumo Deadlifts 2x1 105kg, 1m/set.
Bench Press 3x2 72.5kg, 1m/set.
Done in 18 mins including warmup.

SAT: VARIATION (LIGHT)
Lunchtime
1) GMB Kickstart Day 1
2) GMB Shoulder Mobility, Back Stretch
3) Daily Dose Lifts: BP 72.5kg 5x2, 1m/set

SUN: ENDURANCE
am
1) LSS 6km Run. 35:13, 143bpm hr.
2) Pullups 2x11, 4m/set.
pm
Daily Dose Lifts:
1) BP 72.5kg 5x2, 1m/set
2) Sumo DL 105kg 2x1, 1m/set
3) DL 105kg 2x1, 1m/set.
16mins for the whole set.

SUMMARY: generally good week of training. Body felt strong and rested though high intensity deadlifts seem to fry me a bit. BJJ - sharp generally though not as clinical with subs, something to work on.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

20 to 26 NOV 2017

Lunchtime
1) Star sweep from closed guard when opponent stands up
2) omoplata sweep alternative
3) 4x7m rolls. Pretty tough ones today.
4) Daily Dose Lifts:
Deadlift 105kg 1x2
Sumo Deadlift 105kg 1x2
Bench Press 72.5kg 3x2, 1m/set.
Gone in 15mins for today’s DDL

TUE: WEIGHTS & ENDURANCE
am
1) MAF 6km run. 34:40. Wasn’t super motivated to do this today i gotta be honest.
lunchtime
Daily Dose Lifts Heavy(ish) day:
1) Sumo Deadlift 120kg 2x2, 2m/set
2) Deadlift 120kg 2x2, 2m/set
3) Bench Press 77.5kg 6x2, 1m/set
Took 32mins today as was sharing bench. Interestingly I felt really strong today - the 120kg doubles for deads and 77.5kg doubles for bench felt much lighter than I expected. I am going to experiment with a longer warmup on heavy days and see if it makes a difference the next time too.

WED: REST
lunchtime
Daily Dose Lifts:
1) BP 72.5kg 3x2, 1m/set.
2) Front Squat 75kg 5x2, 2m/set.
3) Pullups 1 set of 9 reps.
This was more a tonic workout with around 75% 1RM for low reps/sets just to get the blood moving.

am
Daily Dose Lifts:
1) Bench Press 72.5kg 3x2, 1m/set.
2) Sumo Deadlift 105kg 1x2
3) Deadlift 105kg 1x2
Felt easy today.
lunchtime
BJJ
1) Techniques: A. Duck under backtake from Butterfly. Important detail: keep control of the wrist (to prevent guillotine) and lie flat. B. Arm drag details (post, hip escape, move yourself, "open" the tricep)
2) Specific Training Guard vs Passers. Did well as both.
3) 4 x 6m roll. 2 really hard rolls (1 vs a white belt, 1 vs a black belt) and 2 flow-ish ones.

FRI: NoGI
lunchtime
1) techniques: a) no kimura, no problem! Bicep slicer. b) side control to crucifix transition.
2) some wrestling drills
3) 3x7m rolls. Energetic ones.
evening
Daily Dose Lifts:
1) Pullup 1x10
2) Sumo Deadlift 105kg 1x2
3) Deadlift 105kg 1x2

BOTH knees (MCL area) feel sore this morning... not sure what happened. Might have been one of those wrestling drills yesterday. Oh well.
Just keeping it active rest and see how I feel tomorrow. If it's not great it will be a long swim instead of a run.
Daily Dose Lifts:
1) Pullup 2x10, 5m/set.
2) Bench Press 72.5kg 5x2, 1m/set.

SUN: REST
The knee is still being a bitch. So just gentle strolls (no E session)... and the daily lifts.
Daily Dose Lifts:
1) BP 72.5kg 5x2, 1m/set
2) Sumo DL 105kg 1x2
3) DL 105kg 1x2

Summary: Great week of training both for weights and bjj. Pity about the random wonky knee leading to the missed Endurance session. Should be patched up by the time monday rolls around.