ARLOG2017's Training Log

ARLOG2017

ARLOG2017's Training Log

Post by ARLOG2017 »

I am a 30 y/o career Soldier. I've spent 90% of my time in operational light units, so my body has a few injuries as a result of my time in those units, and my own misguided attempts at improving everything at once. I gave TBII and Conditioning both a read, and I have a fairly good idea for how I am going to approach fitness in the next year. I am starting this training log as a way to track progress and incorporate feedback into my training program.

The focus of my training is to build Endurance, Strength-Endurance, and Maximal Strength for the first cycle. I am doing BB then I will transition into a Fighter (Bangkok)/Green Protocol. After that I will reassess where I am, and re-attack my goals from there. For this cycle as I transition out of BB, I will re-test my 1RMs, and use TMs for designing my program.

Here is where I am starting from:
Push Ups: 77
Sit Ups: 73
2mi Run: 14:48
SQ (TM):155lbs
BP (TM):145lbs
OHP(TM): 85lbs

Here are my initial goals:
PU: 87
SU: 83
2 Mi Run: 14:00
SQ (TM):175
BP(TM): 155
OHP(TM): 105lbs

I use TMs as my goals as I want to be able to move weight more than once, and I know with a 90% 1RM training max that I will be able to do that.
BSSQ
SU
RDL
Renegade Rows

SE 3x20
I rested about 30-60seconds between exercises, next time I will set a specific rest period (1 min)
The BSSQ was a little awkward, but it made my focus on how the knee was tracking and how I was placing my hips back. I made a note to review Renegade Rows form as I found myself twisting initially, which is not a part of the exercise.

Day 2 (today)

Ex30M (Run)

I ran on the track with a heart rate monitor keeping my HR between 120-150. It was super frustrating because I kept wanting to go faster, but I realize when I do that that I won't get the desired physiological effect (hypertrophy of the left ventricle). Overall it was a nice leisurely jog.
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.”
― Epictetus

ARLOG2017

Re: ARLOG2017's Training Log

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Day 3

30M run. I found a perimeter trail around our post and started to run it. Sorta lost track of time and ran an extra 10 min. I had to walk 3 times to bring my HR back into the right range. Definitely requires a bit of discipline to maintain an easy pace when I'm used to going balls to the wall.
― Epictetus

ARLOG2017

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Day 4
Having a few issues adjusting to the time change... SE pushed to Monday Morning
― Epictetus

ARLOG2017

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Had some technical difficulties last week and my update didn't post.

Day 5 - Completed 2x20 SE. I was feeling good with my renegade rows, so I upped the weight to 20lbs instead of 15lbs.
Day 6 - I ran for 36 min keeping my HR between 120-154. I only covered 3 mi. sort of disappointing, but I have to keep reminding myself distance isn't the point of these runs.
Day 7- Rest day

Yesterday (Week 2 day 1)
3x30 SE with 30lb KB RDL and 15lbs Renegade Rows
Round 1, no rest between exercises, 2 min rest at the end of the circuit
Round 2, 30 sec rest between exercises. I noticed that the BSSQ were a bit awkward, so I focused on using my quads, keeping my knee behind my toes as if I was doing squats and it turned into a one legged lunge. The form for RDLs are still a little awkward. I imagine pushing my butt out horizontally as far as it will go while maintaining a relatively straight back. I have to be careful not to turn it into a squat.

Round 3, Approaching muscle failure have to take a break during the sets for the Bicycle sit ups, and renegade rows.

Good workout at the end of the day.
― Epictetus

ARLOG2017

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Today was an Ex40M. I decided to take a good stroll and made it 45min. and covered 3.7 mi. Max HR was 165 and average was floating around 155. I could still carry on a conversation, so it wasn't too bad a pace. Thinking I'll do another evening run tomorrow night so I can give my legs a bit longer rest between exercises. Also I've been getting more walking in as I have to walk from the dorms to the office, and the office to lunch :lol: It's the small things in life that bring me joy.
― Epictetus

ARLOG2017

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Yesterday I ran another E x 40M. Actual time was 42 min and I covered 3.5 miles. Average HR was 150 and the max was 160. So overall I'm starting to see my heart rate stabilize as I go for the slow easy runs. I'm looking forward to picking up the pace.

Today is a 2x30 SE cluster. Last session I hit muscle failure. Just have to keep reminding myself to give about 30-90 seconds between exercises as the volume increases.
― Epictetus

ARLOG2017

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Completed SE 2x 30 with 30 sec rests between Bicycle Crunches and RDLs. Overall not bad. I am still learning the RDL form. Keep catching myself trying to squat. :lol:

Tomorrow is a rest day.

Tuesday I am giving am doing a 5K in lieu of the standard E x 45-120.

I'm really liking this program so far. The SEs are a bit challenging, but not impossible.
― Epictetus

ARLOG2017

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Like all good army stories, so what had happen was... Tuesday evening I realized I wouldn't hit the time requirement for the daily run as I run a 5k in less than 30 min. Solution, run two miles before the 5k then you'll be close to your 45-120M goal, and that is exactly what I did. Ran a slow 2 miles at a 10 min mile pace, and then ran a little faster 5k and got in at 29:00.

Wednesday was a rest day.

Today I did SE 3x40. It was a good workout, I pushed myself pretty hard and limited the rests between exercises to no more than 1 min and a 2 min rest between circuits. Of all the exercises, the BSSQs and Bicycle Crunches were the most difficult with having to stop multiple times to finish the required reps.

Tomorrow I have a Ex 50 min. I have a good route that I think will keep me busy and my HR in the acceptable range.

*Side note* the BSSQ and the RDLs have really helped strengthen my legs and I am starting to see them track naturally the right way for squats. I think the combination was a good pick.
― Epictetus

ARLOG2017

Post by ARLOG2017 »

Hey all sorry its been a bit since I updated my TL.

Here is the fast rundown:
Friday:-4.4 miles in 51 min
Saturday: -Rest day
Sunday: 5 miles in 53 min
Monday: SE 2x40
Tuesday: Ex 60-120M, Let's face it. I got a bit froggy and decided to see how far I could run without stopping. I made it 7.1 miles until my legs started to hurt with every step. Still a pretty good achievement as the last time I ran that far was 2 years ago!
Wednesday: Rest day.

Week 4 BB
Thursday (Today): SE 1x50. I completed the circuit with no more than 40s between exercises. I also did a lot more reps without resting, so I am starting to see some progress!

Friday I have a Ex60 min. I will probably go for a super long gravel run around the parameter of my home away from home!
― Epictetus