Hargravejs training log

hargravej

Hargravejs training log

Post by hargravej »

I Started the strength first template of BB in mid November 2017 and finished up about a week or so ago. Had been doing Stronglifts prior to that. I hadn’t topped out using it, but was getting close when I found TB. TB aligned with my goals and needs much more, so I switched over immediately. BB was amazing and an eye opener.

I tested my 1RM prior to starting BB. Results were as follows.

Male, 5’7”, 210ish pounds, 35 yoa
Squat: 295lbs
Bench Press: 250
Dead Lift: 310

I used a 90% TM and will likely continue to do so for continuations based on all that I have read here, r/tacticalbarbell, and the books. By the end of the strength session portion of B.B. the weights were snapping up really well. I decided to force progression and simply added 10lbs to my original 1 RM for continuation.

I’ll be doing a Fighter Bangkok + Black continuation with an emphasis on SE, using a 90% TM. it’ll look something like this:

Sun: BP/SQ + SE
Mon: HIC
Tues: Recovery/Rest
Wed: BP/SQ + SE
Thur: HIC
Fri : SE + E
Sat: Rest

SE will be Alpha with a Sit-up/KB swing/Push-up/Pull-up cluster.

Day 1 Block 1-MS

SQ-4x5 @ 205lbs
BP-5x5 @ 175lbs
SE Cluster - 3x10

Day 2 Block 1-HIC

I had planned to do Apex Hills, but had really uncooperative weather. So...I tried something new. Apex Airdyne.

30 sec Airdyne sprint immediately followed by 10x KB swings w/ 50lb Bell

2 min rest
X6
I had a goal of 10 rounds in mind but was feeling pretty rough at the end of 6. Cut it it short.
Last edited by hargravej on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hargravej

Re: Hargravejs training log

Post by hargravej »

Day 3 Block 1

Recovery- Joe DeFrancos Limber 11. Spent a good amount of time with the foam roller and lacrosse ball. Took me about 25 min to get though.

hargravej

Post by hargravej »

Day 4 Block 1-MS

SQ-4x5 @ 205lbs
BP-5x5 @ 175lbs
SE Cluster - 3x10 w/ no RI and 1min rest between sets. I quickly discovered that pull-ups are a weak point. I lowered the number of those to 5 for the SE.

hargravej

Post by hargravej »

Day 5 Block 1 - HIC

Fast5 - 31:55

A little frustrated with this as I did a couple of these during B.B. around the 26 - 27 min mark. Hopefully this is just one of those days.

hargravej

Post by hargravej »

Day 6 Block 1

SE Cluster (Sit-ups, 50lb KB swing, push-ups, band assisted pull-ups) 3x10

E- LSS 30 min on Airdyne. Normally LSS would be a run, but snow and ice made it difficult.

Day 7 Block 1- Rest

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

hargravej wrote:Day 5 Block 1 - HIC

A little frustrated with this as I did a couple of these during B.B. around the 26 - 27 min mark. Hopefully this is just one of those days.
I’ve also seen that with continuation. Fast5 time goes up comparing to B.B. for some reason. Interesting.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

hargravej

Post by hargravej »

Barkadion wrote:
hargravej wrote:Day 5 Block 1 - HIC

I’ve also seen that with continuation. Fast5 time goes up comparing to B.B. for some reason. Interesting.
That is interesting. I initially attributed it to the time off + the increase in overall work in a continuation v.s BB and/or poor nutrition (it wasn’t the greatest over the break and last week). Im curious if there is another reason seeing as how others have experienced it as well? I’m gonna keep it in my weekly routine to see what happens over the course of a Block or two.

hargravej

Post by hargravej »

Day 8 Block 1

MS 80%
BP @190 5x5
SQ @ 220 3x5

SE Cluster 3x20
Sit-up, KB swing 50lb, Push-ups, band assist pull-ups (3x10)

Still trying to sort this pull-up thing out. I think I’ve found the solution for this SE. keeping the reps at 10 seemed to be be best option so far.

hargravej

Post by hargravej »

Day 9 Block 1

HIC - Apex Hills x 6

Temps warmed up a bit and melted the ice away. The hill I used is about 100m long with a moderate grade. Really enjoyed this. I see why t is a favorite.

hargravej

Post by hargravej »

Day 10 Block 1

Rest/ Recovery - got outside with the kiddos in the snow and shoveled the drive. It’s always more work than I remember.

Day 11 Block 1
MS 80%

SQ 4x5 @ 220lbs w/3 min RI
BP 5x5 @ 190lbs w/2 Min RI

SE Cluster 3 x 20- sit-ups, 50lb KB swing, push-ups, band assist pull-ups (3x10) w/1.5 min RI between sets.

Rested as needed between exercises. Didn’t need to till the second round before pull-ups. The. On round 3 before pushups and pull-ups. Kept it under 30 seconds. However I did have failures on rounds 2 and 3 of pushups and pull-ups.

Spent time with the foam roller and lacrosse ball.