Protein Bars: the good, bad, & ugly...

Sorntel

Re: Protein Bars: the good, bad, & ugly...

Post by Sorntel »

supernova wrote:I usually do quest bars but recently discovered optibar is also pretty comparable. In my opinion they taste much much better than quest.

I can't believe I didn't know that Optimum Nutrition made a protein bar....super low in sugar too. Will definitely try these out, thanks!

Caleddin

Post by Caleddin »

If you are a DIYer, Alton Brown has a protein bar recipe that isn't very tough at all and you'll know exactly what goes into them - and you can change that, if you want. Add less brown sugar, choose different fruits, add chocolate at whatever semi-sweet level you want. I've used water in place of apple juice (because I was lazy and didn't want to go get it) and it worked out fine. I've used whey powder instead of soy without an issue. Whisking tofu is not something I ever thought I'd do or write.

They taste...pretty good! They won't keep unless you fridge them or wrap them though, so maybe store-bought is better for something you chuck in a bag and have just in case but these are great for a daily routine. They freeze well too.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Caleddin wrote:If you are a DIYer, Alton Brown has a protein bar recipe that isn't very tough at all and you'll know exactly what goes into them - and you can change that, if you want. Add less brown sugar, choose different fruits, add chocolate at whatever semi-sweet level you want. I've used water in place of apple juice (because I was lazy and didn't want to go get it) and it worked out fine. I've used whey powder instead of soy without an issue. Whisking tofu is not something I ever thought I'd do or write.

They taste...pretty good! They won't keep unless you fridge them or wrap them though, so maybe store-bought is better for something you chuck in a bag and have just in case but these are great for a daily routine. They freeze well too.
Thanks for posting this...looks simple enough even for me to take a stab at.