Low fat VS low carbs - it doesn't really matter

Barkadion

Low fat VS low carbs - it doesn't really matter

Post by Barkadion »

Finally..

1. When it comes to weight loss, neither low-fat diet nor low-carb diet is inherently superior.
2. Insulin production and a person’s genetics did not have any notable impact on weight-loss success or failure.
3. Choose an eating style that fits your food preferences, health goals, lifestyle. Most importantly, choose an eating style you can sustain.

https://examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-v ... ight-loss/
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

TBPenguin

Re: Low fat VS low carbs - it doesn't really matter

Post by TBPenguin »

I read it. It did not really compare low fat to low carb. LowER fat to lowER carb perhaps. About all it showed was that the energy deficit is the most important thing for fat loss. There have been other studies showing the same. There are also studies showing that actual low carb does have a better effect on other biological markers than low fat.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:I read it. It did not really compare low fat to low carb. LowER fat to lowER carb perhaps. About all it showed was that the energy deficit is the most important thing for fat loss. There have been other studies showing the same. There are also studies showing that actual low carb does have a better effect on other biological markers than low fat.
It also depends on individual genetic I’d think. Personally, I respond badly to high fat and feel good with high carbs. And I can feel it right away. Having high fat breakfast will ruin my day by killing my energy level and giving me stomach discomfort. Carby breakfast gives me good energy and sets my day just right. Same applies to the dinner and sleep patterns..

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Bark, I think most studies I've read show a fair bit of variation. That speaks to your point. There is also, not usually shown in these studies, an age factor. What we need changes over time, what we can handle (at the tissue level) can change too. But we have to be careful with this, a lot of people go too much by how they feel and end up eating bass ackwards to what their body needs. Our ability to process something may decrease, but that does not mean our body needs less of it, we may need to find other strategies to get enough.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Bark, I think most studies I've read show a fair bit of variation. That speaks to your point. There is also, not usually shown in these studies, an age factor. What we need changes over time, what we can handle (at the tissue level) can change too. But we have to be careful with this, a lot of people go too much by how they feel and end up eating bass ackwards to what their body needs. Our ability to process something may decrease, but that does not mean our body needs less of it, we may need to find other strategies to get enough.
Agree. Everything in moderation seems to be safiest way to go. But yes, as you get older it gets trickier to find your sweet spot..

Another personal point for me is family culture when it comes to food as well.. Having meal together and eating everything that is on the table together takes priority for me lately. Being dad can make you care less about BF%% :D

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Hey Bark, check out https://phcuk.org/rcts/ and when it starts getting boring, scroll down to the bottom for the tabulated results.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Hey Bark, check out https://phcuk.org/rcts/ and when it starts getting boring, scroll down to the bottom for the tabulated results.
Thanks, TBP! That is pretty cool. I have read their healthy eating guidelines as well. Overall it looks very similar to precise nutrition.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/crea ... nfographic

It is interesting to see slight difference in European approach VS US. I tend to like European approach more in general.. Less brainwashing? I dunno.. Anyway, I do get very close to suicidal mindset every time I happen eat classic American breakfast (eggs, sausage, bacon, home fries...)
:lol:

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Funny Bark, I would have thought you more aligned with the Brazilian food guidelines.

http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/ ... /Brazil/en

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Funny Bark, I would have thought you more aligned with the Brazilian food guidelines.

http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/ ... /Brazil/en
That’s for sure ;)

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Barkadion wrote:1. When it comes to weight loss
I think it's important this is stressed. TB isn't a weight-loss program. It's performance oriented. Performance that involves moderate to high intensity (ie the need to access muscle glycogen quickly) will suffer on a low-carb diet, regardless of how "fat adapted" you think you are.