Carbs

Barkadion

Carbs

Post by Barkadion »

From Mike Israetel:

"If your protein and fat intakes are at least at their respective sport minima and you don’t exceed your daily allotted calories, there is no notable downside from very high carb consumption. As long as athletes are getting in all of their needed proteins and fats, consuming the rest of their calories as carbs is just fine. Does this mean that even individuals who are dieting to lose fat can have hundreds of grams of carbs a day so long as their diets are adequately hypocaloric and meet protein and fats needs? Almost certainly, yes.

- From the rough draft of the RP Diet 2.0... so massive a book that it will have to wait for a November release

(PS, for most folks that weight train, protein should be at least 0.8g per pound per day and fats at least 0.3... if you want to eat the rest in carbs, that's fine in most cases!)"
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Re: Carbs

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I'm actually reading the book "The Cool Impossible" by Eric Orton right now which said something about carbs I like.

Orton is a performance coach in Wyoming who works with all manner of top tier athletes. This particular book is geared towards learning optimal running form and performance in running races. Orton became popular when he coached the author of "Born to Run" Christopher McDougall from a lackluster runner to one of the American runners to finish a 50 mile foot race with the legendary Tarahumara Indians of Mexico (known for incredible running endurance).

His viewpoint - You don't need a "no-carb" diet, you need the "right-carb" diet. His nutritional philosophy seems sound, and my wife is interested for us to try it so we just started modifying things a bit along those lines to see what we think. So far, so good.

He doesn't believe in mediocrity so the usual guidelines of eat well 80% of the time and the other 20% you can cheat. He's more like a 95/5% approach. Good read so far and some interesting ideas.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I'm actually reading the book "The Cool Impossible" by Eric Orton right now which said something about carbs I like.

Orton is a performance coach in Wyoming who works with all manner of top tier athletes. This particular book is geared towards learning optimal running form and performance in running races. Orton became popular when he coached the author of "Born to Run" Christopher McDougall from a lackluster runner to one of the American runners to finish a 50 mile foot race with the legendary Tarahumara Indians of Mexico (known for incredible running endurance).

His viewpoint - You don't need a "no-carb" diet, you need the "right-carb" diet. His nutritional philosophy seems sound, and my wife is interested for us to try it so we just started modifying things a bit along those lines to see what we think. So far, so good.

He doesn't believe in mediocrity so the usual guidelines of eat well 80% of the time and the other 20% you can cheat. He's more like a 95/5% approach. Good read so far and some interesting ideas.
"you need the "right-carb" diet". That would be similar to 30%-protein/35%-fat/35%-carbs rule as far as I understand. Also, I have noticed best results with eating more carbs/less fat with continuation (for lifting sake) and more fat/less carbs for BB. Less does not mean low, though.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Post by J-Madd »

I've been following a pretty strict "keto" diet since March. I've lost over 20lb. My energy levels are great (x2/day workouts most days, including very long BJJ competition training), and m strength hasn't diminished. My mental capacities have been great too; I'm crunching books in a way I haven't since grad school. My wife has had very similar results, and she's gone from a size 12 to a size 6. I know "keto" isn't for everyone, but it has been great for us!

Ginjadave

Post by Ginjadave »

I too have Had great Success with kepo, eating around 30 or less grams of carbs a day but usually more like 10g. Last year I lost 30 lb of body fat in 10 weeks following a Keto and IF protocol. I fasted from 8pm - 12 noon for 6 weeks then shifted to fasting 23 hours a day and eating around 1500-1800 Calories in one meal from predominantly Fat and protein. i did make sure i got plenty of High quality fat from animals, coconut oil, avocado oil, Mct oil, butter etc

Have to say my energy and focus are through the roof and I've never felt better, i do have to say i struggle a little with Higher intensity efforts tho, steady state Endurance and lifting are fine and although i can get through them i do have a hard time with the Likes of Apex on Low carb.

Jason Fungs Complete guide to fasting is a great book even if your not interested in fasting, it raises some very valid points IMHO.

Attached Picture is 8 weeks in to the 10 weeks of full Keto. I know " cycle carbs" once in a while but follow a Keto diet around 95% of the time.
Attachments
IMG_7250.JPG
IMG_7250.JPG (37.11 KiB) Viewed 6517 times