Paleo diet

Barkadion

Paleo diet

Post by Barkadion »

I might go this direction for personal health reasons after my last consultation with doctor. Looks like Paleo type of diet will be my choice for some time. At least for a year or so.

Just want to ask you guys if anyone here is on Paleo diet and how it works for your TB training and life overall. Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Aiwacht

Re: Paleo diet

Post by Aiwacht »

I've been variations of what I now call 'paleoid' (since I am not strict nor religious about it) since 2011. I find I do better on all fronts avoiding all grains as the primary thing (though rice is nice). Keto for almost 2 years, so far holding up there fine as long as I re-feed periodically. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have. I think Mark Sisson's current edition of the Primal Blueprint is the best resource I've found in general, and what I suggest to folks.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aiwacht wrote:I've been variations of what I now call 'paleoid' (since I am not strict nor religious about it) since 2011. I find I do better on all fronts avoiding all grains as the primary thing (though rice is nice). Keto for almost 2 years, so far holding up there fine as long as I re-feed periodically. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have. I think Mark Sisson's current edition of the Primal Blueprint is the best resource I've found in general, and what I suggest to folks.
Thank you, Aiwacht!

Didn't know about the book - will read it.

Couple questions if you don't mind.

1. How did you go about dairy? This might be my biggest issue. I live on yogurt, kefir, and cottage cheese.
2. Did you eat any types of potato or legumes?
3. How did you manage sugary fruits?
4. Any particular supplements that should be introduced with following Paleo?

Cheers!

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Barkadion wrote:
Aiwacht wrote:I've been variations of what I now call 'paleoid' (since I am not strict nor religious about it) since 2011. I find I do better on all fronts avoiding all grains as the primary thing (though rice is nice). Keto for almost 2 years, so far holding up there fine as long as I re-feed periodically. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have. I think Mark Sisson's current edition of the Primal Blueprint is the best resource I've found in general, and what I suggest to folks.
Thank you, Aiwacht!

1. How did you go about dairy? This might be my biggest issue. I live on yogurt, kefir, and cottage cheese.

Cheers!
1. I use full-fat dairy at this point with no issues, but for some folks health-wise that is a major issue. Especially with Keto it's a major fat source for me. One of those things to drop up front, then re-introduce if you care to see it it's causing you problems. When I reintroduced it I had zero negative responses, so I keep it as I like it. Only heavy cream and full-fat cheese, with maybe a few quarts of yogurt a year at this point.

2. Up front I went full green face, ie, if it's a green vegetable or had (or would grow up to have) a face, you can eat it. Added to this some apple cider vinegar & olive oil, and that was it for a year or so. After that, I started adding in sweet potato and sometimes white rice. I eat beans (and now, corn in tortillas) every month or so when we go for Mexican food with no issues. I don't have any issues with regular spuds, either. The main issue (after determining what works for you health wise) is how you balance your fats & carbs, as the combo is pretty easy to lay on the pounds with!

3. Not a major fruit guy, so no real tips here.

4. Not really overall, but point five changes that....

5. The main thing that controls all of this stuff is if you go VLC or Keto as far as macros. If not, there's no need for anything special supplementation wise, as your likely keeping the variety high but shifting to better/less troublesome (for many people) food sources. When you go full on keto/VLC it does crazy shit to your electrolytes and you pretty much have to supplement sodium, mag, and potassium or your screwed! :) 90% of the 'keto flu' is electrolyte crash, IME. Also, the first 6-12 weeks of keto suck ass, especially from a training perspective. At about 1 year in I began to see the benefits on the endurance side of things (like never bonking).

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aiwacht wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Thank you, Aiwacht!

Cheers!
1. I use full-fat dairy at this point with no issues, but for some folks health-wise that is a major issue. Especially with Keto it's a major fat source for me. One of those things to drop up front, then re-introduce if you care to see it it's causing you problems. When I reintroduced it I had zero negative responses, so I keep it as I like it. Only heavy cream and full-fat cheese, with maybe a few quarts of yogurt a year at this point.

2. Up front I went full green face, ie, if it's a green vegetable or had (or would grow up to have) a face, you can eat it. Added to this some apple cider vinegar & olive oil, and that was it for a year or so. After that, I started adding in sweet potato and sometimes white rice. I eat beans (and now, corn in tortillas) every month or so when we go for Mexican food with no issues. I don't have any issues with regular spuds, either. The main issue (after determining what works for you health wise) is how you balance your fats & carbs, as the combo is pretty easy to lay on the pounds with!

3. Not a major fruit guy, so no real tips here.

4. Not really overall, but point five changes that....

5. The main thing that controls all of this stuff is if you go VLC or Keto as far as macros. If not, there's no need for anything special supplementation wise, as your likely keeping the variety high but shifting to better/less troublesome (for many people) food sources. When you go full on keto/VLC it does crazy shit to your electrolytes and you pretty much have to supplement sodium, mag, and potassium or your screwed! :) 90% of the 'keto flu' is electrolyte crash, IME. Also, the first 6-12 weeks of keto suck ass, especially from a training perspective. At about 1 year in I began to see the benefits on the endurance side of things (like never bonking).
Thanks!!

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

My brief experiments with it have resulted in me dropping lots of weight very rapidly. The first time up to 7kg.

I noticed a massive loss in performance endurance wise, but was able to strength train with no issues. My longest period of strict paleo is admittedly only 5 months at most. I always felt hungry and would give it away due to work. I would usually get caught out with a cupcake or bread. My fault for not prepping enough food.

The best way I have found to eat is John Berardis stuff. Too bad it's behind such a crappy pay wall now.
Basically I do best when I only eat starchy carbs after an intense training session. I don't deal with lots of grains etc well, but seem to cope better when I have trained intensely first.

As a disclaimer, I am lactose intolerant and used to be a massive milk drinker. I had no issues until I went Paleo and now I can't deal with milk anymore. It's anecdotal evidence, but something to consider.

It's weird that you have a doc recommending paleo to you? They are usually anti anything like that. Good luck with it either way mate.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:My brief experiments with it have resulted in me dropping lots of weight very rapidly. The first time up to 7kg.

I noticed a massive loss in performance endurance wise, but was able to strength train with no issues. My longest period of strict paleo is admittedly only 5 months at most. I always felt hungry and would give it away due to work. I would usually get caught out with a cupcake or bread. My fault for not prepping enough food.

The best way I have found to eat is John Berardis stuff. Too bad it's behind such a crappy pay wall now.
Basically I do best when I only eat starchy carbs after an intense training session. I don't deal with lots of grains etc well, but seem to cope better when I have trained intensely first.

As a disclaimer, I am lactose intolerant and used to be a massive milk drinker. I had no issues until I went Paleo and now I can't deal with milk anymore. It's anecdotal evidence, but something to consider.

It's weird that you have a doc recommending paleo to you? They are usually anti anything like that. Good luck with it either way mate.
Thanks Max!!

The doc is a bit strange bird himself since he is doing a lot of martial arts and yoga stuff. So he is about 'non-traditional' approach a lot. He didn't say "Paleo" but he said no grains, no dairy, no sugar.

Do you mean potato-like food by saying starchy carbs? Did you take any protein powder at the time?

I think you are right about importance of preparing your own meal. I would guess that breakfast/post-training meal will be most difficult area.

Also, your experience with dairy is very interesting. I have heard stories like that.. I am dairy man and it has been running in my family for ages.. Will see how it goes..

Cheers!

Aiwacht

Post by Aiwacht »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote: As a disclaimer, I am lactose intolerant and used to be a massive milk drinker. I had no issues until I went Paleo and now I can't deal with milk anymore. It's anecdotal evidence, but something to consider.
Thanks Max!!

Also, your experience with dairy is very interesting. I have heard stories like that.. I am dairy man and it has been running in my family for ages.. Will see how it goes..

Cheers!
Super interesting! My wife had the reverse: severe (like 'take me to the hosptial') lactose intolerance, and after 120 days of green face, she can handle dairy with no problems. Been a decade now. Bodies are very strange things! I did notice that after a few years strict no gluten, I'd get full on 'hayfever' like responses to it. But that passed, and now while I get a trace of congestion if I do something like eat half a pizza, no serious issues.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aiwacht wrote:Bodies are very strange things!
No kidding. I was ignorant enough to think I know mine... ;)

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:My brief experiments with it have resulted in me dropping lots of weight very rapidly. The first time up to 7kg.

Thanks Max!!

The doc is a bit strange bird himself since he is doing a lot of martial arts and yoga stuff. So he is about 'non-traditional' approach a lot. He didn't say "Paleo" but he said no grains, no dairy, no sugar.

Do you mean potato-like food by saying starchy carbs? Did you take any protein powder at the time?

I think you are right about importance of preparing your own meal. I would guess that breakfast/post-training meal will be most difficult area.

Cheers!
Basically I would only eat things like bread, rice or potatoes straight after a training session. I stopped using protein powder at the time. I rarely do these days unless I hit a 9/10 effort training session. I use vegan protein powder these days due to the lactose intolerance.

All my meals consisted of 200g or so of protein and either a serve of fruit or vegetables. The traditional "carb" sources were treated separately. For example:
Breakfast before hard training:Eggs, bacon, spinach
After training: Same with bread added.

I found the way I ate most of the time was very similar to Paleo, as I don't really eat a lot of legumes or dairy. I would then have a non paleo carb source following my training sessions.

As a disclaimer my diet has gone a bit to shit lately, but I am in the process of moving house and plan to get back to prepping food properly very soon.

I will be interested to see your experience with Paleo. I don't mind eating like that, but I find it hard with day to day life and social occasions. There is nothing worse than being the guy that won't eat a slice of Birthday cake at the work party haha.