Paleo diet

Maxrip13

Re: Paleo diet

Post by Maxrip13 »

Aiwacht wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote: As a disclaimer, I am lactose intolerant and used to be a massive milk drinker. I had no issues until I went Paleo and now I can't deal with milk anymore. It's anecdotal evidence, but something to consider.
Thanks Max!!

Also, your experience with dairy is very interesting. I have heard stories like that.. I am dairy man and it has been running in my family for ages.. Will see how it goes..

Cheers!
Super interesting! My wife had the reverse: severe (like 'take me to the hosptial') lactose intolerance, and after 120 days of green face, she can handle dairy with no problems. Been a decade now. Bodies are very strange things! I did notice that after a few years strict no gluten, I'd get full on 'hayfever' like responses to it. But that passed, and now while I get a trace of congestion if I do something like eat half a pizza, no serious issues.
Yeah it seems to go either way. I used to love milk and used to have cartons of milk for extra calories. Now I drink Soy in my coffee on the rare occasions I don't drink it black. I struggle with pasta but it's my favourite food. Bread seems to be ok most of the time atleast.

It's funny how p[people are different sometimes.

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Bark, forget paleo. The doc didn't say it and there is no need to put a label on it. I do have some stuff for you though. Cutting those foods out isn't bad, but here's stuff that can trip you up. You are going to drop some fat, and early on some water. Lots of people will feel worse and think it is because they have less carbs. It is because their body dumped a bunch of sodium to balance out with the water. Salt your food liberally. Some will suggest bone broth but it is over-rated. Too expensive to buy, you don't want to be making it in the summer unless you really like to eat soup (you won't want to drink broth in the summer). Also if you don't take Mg already, it helps. Buy that Natural Calm stuff, mix a couple scoops in a glass of water at supper. It tastes good. Stupid container though, you'll want to transfer the powder to something else. Also make it a point to add some extra virgin olive oil to your vegetables. Just keep a bottle at the table with one of those little pour spouts.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TBPenguin wrote:Bark, forget paleo. The doc didn't say it and there is no need to put a label on it. I do have some stuff for you though. Cutting those foods out isn't bad, but here's stuff that can trip you up. You are going to drop some fat, and early on some water. Lots of people will feel worse and think it is because they have less carbs. It is because their body dumped a bunch of sodium to balance out with the water. Salt your food liberally. Some will suggest bone broth but it is over-rated. Too expensive to buy, you don't want to be making it in the summer unless you really like to eat soup (you won't want to drink broth in the summer). Also if you don't take Mg already, it helps. Buy that Natural Calm stuff, mix a couple scoops in a glass of water at supper. It tastes good. Stupid container though, you'll want to transfer the powder to something else. Also make it a point to add some extra virgin olive oil to your vegetables. Just keep a bottle at the table with one of those little pour spouts.
Thank you TBP. Very useful info!! Just ordered Natural Calm gut bottle.

Interesting observation about salt. I know that I can fix my shitty day with a bag of potato chips. Works like a magic and I hate it in a way.. Sounds stupid but it proves your point..

Cheers, mate!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:Basically I would only eat things like bread, rice or potatoes straight after a training session. I stopped using protein powder at the time. I rarely do these days unless I hit a 9/10 effort training session. I use vegan protein powder these days due to the lactose intolerance.

All my meals consisted of 200g or so of protein and either a serve of fruit or vegetables. The traditional "carb" sources were treated separately. For example:
Breakfast before hard training:Eggs, bacon, spinach
After training: Same with bread added.

I found the way I ate most of the time was very similar to Paleo, as I don't really eat a lot of legumes or dairy. I would then have a non paleo carb source following my training sessions.

As a disclaimer my diet has gone a bit to shit lately, but I am in the process of moving house and plan to get back to prepping food properly very soon.

I will be interested to see your experience with Paleo. I don't mind eating like that, but I find it hard with day to day life and social occasions. There is nothing worse than being the guy that won't eat a slice of Birthday cake at the work party haha.
I see.. Sounds very interesting. Eating paleo-ish without following it..

What vegan protein powder do you use? I've tried Pea protein this morning and I am still nauseous.. Tastes like earth..

Cheers!

TBPenguin

Post by TBPenguin »

Barkadion wrote:
What vegan protein powder do you use? I've tried Pea protein this morning and I am still nauseous.. Tastes like earth..

Cheers!

Do not try hemp. Even as a free sample.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Barkadion wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:Basically I would only eat things like bread, rice or potatoes straight after a training session. I stopped using protein powder at the time. I rarely do these days unless I hit a 9/10 effort training session. I use vegan protein powder these days due to the lactose intolerance.

All my meals consisted of 200g or so of protein and either a serve of fruit or vegetables. The traditional "carb" sources were treated separately. For example:

I found the way I ate most of the time was very similar to Paleo, as I don't really eat a lot of legumes or dairy. I would then have a non paleo carb source following my training sessions.

As a disclaimer my diet has gone a bit to shit lately, but I am in the process of moving house and plan to get back to prepping food properly very soon.

I will be interested to see your experience with Paleo. I don't mind eating like that, but I find it hard with day to day life and social occasions. There is nothing worse than being the guy that won't eat a slice of Birthday cake at the work party haha.

Cheers!
An Aussie brand called Bondi protein. $30 aud a kilo.

Sun warrior is good, but expensive.

I rarely use it as I still get some stomach distress from the higher protein. I prefer to just have a tin of salmon when I can. It tastes no worse than the vegan protein powder and I get less gas haha.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

Cheers!
Thanks Max. I have looked it up. Looks like pea/rice based mostly. I think I will try to find egg based.

Cheers.

An Aussie brand called Bondi protein. $30 aud a kilo.

Sun warrior is good, but expensive.

I rarely use it as I still get some stomach distress from the higher protein. I prefer to just have a tin of salmon when I can. It tastes no worse than the vegan protein powder and I get less gas haha.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

First week of "dieting" is down. Surprisingly easy so far. Sugar craving is easy to kill with orange or apple. I am not having carb craving just yet. Hitting on greens, cauliflower, sweet potato, coconut milk, and avocados. Using salt and magnesium makes a lot of sense. Only compromises are whey protein powder and some family meals that have a little of "non-paleo" ingredients. I take very small amount of that occasionally for the family spirit sake.. No issues with not eating dairy.. How about that? I am very surprised.. No weight change just yet.

Well.. that's just 1 week..

Kaito

Post by Kaito »

4-5 years ago i did Paleo strictly for 3-4 months.
Felt great, had no cravings what so ever and lost some good weight.
Eliminating the processed stuff and concentrating on whole sources did wonders.
But i also figured out that beans,legumes and grains are not the evil and i put them back into the diet.
For pure performance i struggled doing Paleo bc i didnt want to eat sweet potato, quinoa etc. all the time and loved grains to much.
With paleo i feel like the concept of avoiding bad stuff is good, but the trouble makers are not dairy, grains and legumes but rather soda, chips and that stuff.

If you are focusing purely on health, Dr. Joel Fuhrmans „the end of dieting“ comes to mind.
Just my 2c :)

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Kaito wrote:4-5 years ago i did Paleo strictly for 3-4 months.
Felt great, had no cravings what so ever and lost some good weight.
Eliminating the processed stuff and concentrating on whole sources did wonders.
But i also figured out that beans,legumes and grains are not the evil and i put them back into the diet.
For pure performance i struggled doing Paleo bc i didnt want to eat sweet potato, quinoa etc. all the time and loved grains to much.
With paleo i feel like the concept of avoiding bad stuff is good, but the trouble makers are not dairy, grains and legumes but rather soda, chips and that stuff.

If you are focusing purely on health, Dr. Joel Fuhrmans „the end of dieting“ comes to mind.
Just my 2c :)
Thank you, appreciate your comment.

Personally, for me it is matter of addressing my current health issues more than anything else. I do want to keep training regularly along with following paleoish diet..

Let’s see if I survive :D