Intraworkout nutrition

tk_swag1234

Intraworkout nutrition

Post by tk_swag1234 »

Hello everyone. Due to my academic schedule, I usually do multiple workouts in one session. For example, I start off with a TB 5x5 max-strength session, then I exit the gym and do a LSS run, then I meet up with training partners for sparring. As a result, I can be training for up to 3 hours in one session. Sometimes I notice I feel depleted in the middle of the sessions so I am looking into anything I can consume during training that will let me go for longer. Any suggestions? Thank you.

mauldms

Re: Intraworkout nutrition

Post by mauldms »

I'm no nutritional expert so take it with a grain of salt. I have some experience doing longer endurance events (40-50 mile rucks/runs that are usually 10+ hours if not longer). Sounds like your body just needs some additional carbs and electrolytes. It is anecdotal and based upon my experiences and some trial and error but I always found that, depending on intensity, anything longer than 3 or 4 hours I would need to start refueling hourly (my preference was GU gel). Since you are right around that 3 hour mark I'd do some trial and error with a GU right before your workout and then a GU around the 90 minute mark to power you through. Or you could mix it up and use GU and an electrolyte beverage of your choice. I'd also recommend that you ensure you are eating some carbs an hour or two before you start your session (my go to was a bagel or white bread with some peanut butter and honey).

tk_swag1234

Post by tk_swag1234 »

mauldms wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:38 pm I'm no nutritional expert so take it with a grain of salt. I have some experience doing longer endurance events (40-50 mile rucks/runs that are usually 10+ hours if not longer). Sounds like your body just needs some additional carbs and electrolytes. It is anecdotal and based upon my experiences and some trial and error but I always found that, depending on intensity, anything longer than 3 or 4 hours I would need to start refueling hourly (my preference was GU gel). Since you are right around that 3 hour mark I'd do some trial and error with a GU right before your workout and then a GU around the 90 minute mark to power you through. Or you could mix it up and use GU and an electrolyte beverage of your choice. I'd also recommend that you ensure you are eating some carbs an hour or two before you start your session (my go to was a bagel or white bread with some peanut butter and honey).
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading lately that honey is an effective pre and intraworkout food, and its cheaper too. I'll try taking some before a long session and see how it feels. Also 10 hour rucks sound brutal.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Just have something light in between one of those sessions. A piece of fruit, energy bar, something like that.