Bulletproof Coffee

NathanC77

Re: Bulletproof Coffee

Post by NathanC77 »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
NathanC77 wrote:Tried the egg coffee this morning. It was disgusting.
I've been informed by my mother than WAAAAY back in the days, there used to be a egg peddler that would pass by their house with fresh eggs (exited the chicken that very morning). Her parents used to buy the eggs and eat them by cracking them open and dumping freshly steamed rice over it. Apparently the taste of same-day eggs are significantly different from the ones you get at the supermarket these days.

Maybe try those?
I'll keep an eye out for some. Honestly, the major gross part was the consistency of the egg whites mixed with the coffee. It might be better with just yokes. Hard to beat scrambled eggs and black coffee separately though.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

NathanC77 wrote:I'll keep an eye out for some. Honestly, the major gross part was the consistency of the egg whites mixed with the coffee. It might be better with just yokes. Hard to beat scrambled eggs and black coffee separately though.
Dude, personally I'd just eat them separately - 1 cup of coffee with milk, and then 4 soft boiled eggs. There's a good reason you don't see blended coffee with eggs on Starbuck's menu - it probably tastes rank.

NathanC77

Post by NathanC77 »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
NathanC77 wrote:I'll keep an eye out for some. Honestly, the major gross part was the consistency of the egg whites mixed with the coffee. It might be better with just yokes. Hard to beat scrambled eggs and black coffee separately though.
Dude, personally I'd just eat them separately - 1 cup of coffee with milk, and then 4 soft boiled eggs. There's a good reason you don't see blended coffee with eggs on Starbuck's menu - it probably tastes rank.
Haha agreed.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Not a fan....... tried it a few years back, since I was curious about all the 'claims'.... and I also don't like suggesting things to clients until I've done it myself.... love my coffee like the Death Star "large, on the dark side and powerful enough to destroy a f'kin planet"......

Had the coffee first thing and ran with it for about 6 months....... nothing different occurred.....

What quite a few people forget is that you are loading up the coffee with a crap ton of calories, and not a lot of nutrients. Saturated fats are good, but as part of a regular meal, not heaped into a coffee. If you are on a very low carb diet/lifestyle then you may find the energy from the fat to be 'ok'..... but if you follow a 'regular' carb way of eating, then fat loss may not occur.

It's overhyped. The claims are just not backed up by evidence. Indeed this is quite an interesting link on the claims
http://leanmuscleproject.com/bulletproof-coffee/
Just to piggy back on this a little. I tried out the high fat/low carb diet for about six months. Drank bp coffee every morning. End result. Lost weight, mostly muscle, felt fatigued all the time. The idea is based off the ketogenic diet theory. If you are interested in that kind of thing, check out "Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson. Have your body burn fat as fuel, which is a more steady sustained energy, as opposed to fueling off sugars/carbs that give you that insulin spike. Bottom line is if you eat mostly clean foods in moderation, stay active, and have a decent understanding of basic sports nutrition, you are probably okay.

Dave Asprey considers himself a biohacker and has a ton of good info on his forum about supplementing, which he recommends greatly, to account for those lost nutrients that you don't get out of your cup of coffee with grassfed butter and mct oil. But, if you want some more insight on Asprey, listen to the Joe Rogan podcast episodes with him on it and then youtube Rogan hating on him after he realized his whole mycotoxin in coffee theory was bullshit. Just used it as a marketing scheme to sell overpriced coffee

Blackmetalbunny

Tyr0331 wrote:Just to piggy back on this a little. I tried out the high fat/low carb diet for about six months. Drank bp coffee every morning. End result. Lost weight, mostly muscle, felt fatigued all the time. The idea is based off the ketogenic diet theory. If you are interested in that kind of thing, check out "Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson.
I like the idea of re-engineering your body to burn fat, but i've come to realise that your body is in charge of your body, not you. No matter how much we want to, and try to, our body will function in a manner that's optimal and sustainable for it. We can influence it, either for better or worse, but no matter how hard we try, our body will always work it's way back to an equilibrium that it wants to be in. Call it entropy or regression to mean or whatever.

Not connected to religion, there's actually a lot of past papers, and on going research that suggests that our bodies don't actually belong to us (and to a large extent, even our minds aren't our own), and that we might only be along for the ride.

So, at the end of the day, try all you want, you probably won't be able to entirely force your body to burn fat. I've read a few books on burning fat for fuel, and the end result I've come to is that while a lot of people claim that it is possible, there seems to be no structured way to achieve this shift to caloric source. It seems to be achievable by some, or at the cost of a very different diet.

Tyr0331 wrote:Dave Asprey considers himself a biohacker and has a ton of good info on his forum about supplementing, which he recommends greatly, to account for those lost nutrients that you don't get out of your cup of coffee with grassfed butter and mct oil. But, if you want some more insight on Asprey, listen to the Joe Rogan podcast episodes with him on it and then youtube Rogan hating on him after he realized his whole mycotoxin in coffee theory was bullshit. Just used it as a marketing scheme to sell overpriced coffee
That's one of the big WTF moments I had with Bulletproof Coffee, the costs of having it seems to be more than just having a balanced diet.

MuftiMike

Post by MuftiMike »

Tyr0331 wrote:
Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:Not a fan....... tried it a few years back, since I was curious about all the 'claims'.... and I also don't like suggesting things to clients until I've done it myself.... love my coffee like the Death Star "large, on the dark side and powerful enough to destroy a f'kin planet"......

Had the coffee first thing and ran with it for about 6 months....... nothing different occurred.....

What quite a few people forget is that you are loading up the coffee with a crap ton of calories, and not a lot of nutrients. Saturated fats are good, but as part of a regular meal, not heaped into a coffee. If you are on a very low carb diet/lifestyle then you may find the energy from the fat to be 'ok'..... but if you follow a 'regular' carb way of eating, then fat loss may not occur.

It's overhyped. The claims are just not backed up by evidence. Indeed this is quite an interesting link on the claims
http://leanmuscleproject.com/bulletproof-coffee/
Just to piggy back on this a little. I tried out the high fat/low carb diet for about six months. Drank bp coffee every morning. End result. Lost weight, mostly muscle, felt fatigued all the time. The idea is based off the ketogenic diet theory. If you are interested in that kind of thing, check out "Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson. Have your body burn fat as fuel, which is a more steady sustained energy, as opposed to fueling off sugars/carbs that give you that insulin spike. Bottom line is if you eat mostly clean foods in moderation, stay active, and have a decent understanding of basic sports nutrition, you are probably okay.

Dave Asprey considers himself a biohacker and has a ton of good info on his forum about supplementing, which he recommends greatly, to account for those lost nutrients that you don't get out of your cup of coffee with grassfed butter and mct oil. But, if you want some more insight on Asprey, listen to the Joe Rogan podcast episodes with him on it and then youtube Rogan hating on him after he realized his whole mycotoxin in coffee theory was bullshit. Just used it as a marketing scheme to sell overpriced coffee
The only issue I have with this make-your-body-burn-fat-instead-of-carbs movement is the use of different energy systems by the body for different activities. My very crude understanding of this is that for something like a 100-400 meter sprint the body taps into atp and glycogen because those fuels can be accessed instantaneously. Whereas it takes much longer to tap into fat as a fuel, and likely it's impossible to tap into fat-burning for short high intensity efforts no matter how "fat-converted" you are. This iss just my rough understanding, I am by no means an expert..

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Mark Sisson is a huge influence on the new generation of endurance athletes. I don't consider myself an endurance athlete so I can't speak for them but I would imagine that strength and explosive power is not sought out by most people who run ultra marathons. But it seems more like a fad to me just like anything else. Not bashing anyone who does it just saying it's not for me.

Blackmetalbunny

Tyr0331 wrote:Mark Sisson is a huge influence on the new generation of endurance athletes.... But it seems more like a fad to me just like anything else. Not bashing anyone who does it just saying it's not for me.
That might well be the case, the whole idea of burning fat may be applicable to specific activities and Sisson might be right, and it's just Chinese Whisper that have warped what is a valid methodology into something invalid.

lennarn

Post by lennarn »

A friend of mine sells the stuff. Basically it's just coffee with a ton of butter in it. Makes you feel full though, so if you're on a high fat weight loss diet, maybe.

nomoji

Post by nomoji »

I've done this before while doing CarbNite (which I seen pretty good results from from a fat loss perspective), but I used a tablespoon of Coconut Oil, not butter. It kept me pretty full until lunch and sometimes I could have even skipped to eating lunch later in the day, and I did feel like I had more energy in the morning as opposed to always skipping breakfast since I rarely eat breakfast. I hit snooze until the deadline, then get up and go. No time to make breakfast. On another note, I've been reading a lot about Leptin levels lately.