Eating for real life

Train_Hard_Live_Easy

Eating for real life

Post by Train_Hard_Live_Easy »

I very rarely comment on diets and nutrition..... lots of people out there like to make it more complicated than it actually is.

One of the best pieces I ever heard was from Dan John - "Eat like an adult"
To me that made tremendous sense.

I came across this article today, and it's about a simple / straightforward as you can get..... it's by Precision Nutrition, who I think have a great handle on the whole nutrition side of things.

I will let you know that at the foot of the article is a opt in form to consider their coaching program [no affiliate here].... but their information is solid.

If you are not cutting, getting into stage shape, just living a normal life, you cannot go far wrong with the information in the article.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/meal ... ually-suck
Have a great one

Steve
Train Hard, Live Easy.
"What was hard to do, is sweet to remember" Seneca.

Barkadion

Re: Eating for real life

Post by Barkadion »

I'd like to quote Ross Enamait:

"I strongly believe that clean eating contributes to my ability to recover from less than optimal sleep conditions. I don’t believe in micro-managing the eating process, but I do believe in clean eating. My nutritional strategy is very simple. I eat real food (ex. fruits, veggies, fish, meat, etc.) when I’m hungry, and I don’t eat any artificial and/or processed junk. That’s it. I have better things to do with my time than counting how much of this or that nutrient has been consumed in this or that meal. My ancestors did pretty well without calculating zones and nutrient ratios on the abacus, so I see no reason to change. I never get sick, recover quickly from training, and feel good throughout the day. If it isn’t broken, I see no reason to fix it. Find what works for you. That’s the best nutritional advice I ever heard, so now I’m giving it to you."

This is what I am realizing now after all my experiments with diets, counting calories, and all that jazz. Well, maybe I am just getting old :D
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Blackmetalbunny

Re: Eating for real life

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Train_Hard_Live_Easy wrote:I very rarely comment on diets and nutrition..... lots of people out there like to make it more complicated than it actually is.
To be fair, there is a time and place for complicated, weighed and dialed to the micro-gram diet, but, and here's the big but, if you don't make a living (or if you life doesn't depend on) based on how much you can lift competitively, or how much striation you have, you don't need such a diet. Period.

One can have a good diet without resorting to neurosis.

Dan John has it right, just eat like an adult.

But the problem is that in today's society, our idea of what is an appropriate diet is completely thrown out the window. I feel I am qualified to say this because I live in Singapore - a place where food is massively nutritionally deficit. Almost every convenient source of eating out locations serve only carbs deep fried in poly-unsaturated fat, with more poly-unsaturated fat drenched on top, because why not.

Getting nutritious food when eating out is either (a) overly expensive or (b) drenched in even more poly-unsaturated fat.

It's not that we ever forgot how to eat, but rather some of us never knew what was good nutrition to begin with.

I've spoken to public health nutritionist in Singapore, and they quietly tell me that the diet that the health service prescribes is sub-optimal. If people aren't educated, how will they grow? In this case, even the education is horrendous.

Seriously; any one can program their own diet, but if they were never taught, they can never know. When they know they need to diet, they go to the extremes instead of making sensible changed. Not because they didn't want to, but sometimes, they don't know better.