Holidays

Barkadion

Holidays

Post by Barkadion »

Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year are coming.

How do you go about that in terms of nutrition?

I just eat plenty. Usually, I gain few pounds at the end of every year. I don't care much to tell you the truth. January means for me to push harder and mind my eating a bit. Extra walks and few more rounds for conditioning sessions.

That's about it.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

J-Madd

Re: Holidays

Post by J-Madd »

I go with Paul Roarke's advice from Corps Strength. I keep myself on dietary track for the entire season, except for the actual holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve). On those days I try to get something like a long LSS that will burn a bunch of calories, but otherwise I just celebrate eating and drinking whatever I want. The next day I go right back to my normal dietary routines. That has worked really well for me for the last three years to keep from gaining any weight over the holidays, while also still having some fun. Events like the office Christmas party can be tough, so can an invite to someone's house. I hate to be an ungracious food snob! On those occasions, I play my weekly cheat meal option at the party instead of my regular Friday night.

We now take our entire family to a Turkey Trot on the morning of Thanksgiving. They have a variable course ranging from .5 to 5 miles, so our kids can scale the run to their abilities. Last year I beat my 11 year old son (he is 12 now) by only about 3-4 minutes on the 5 mile course, and I had run a very good time for me at that distance (34.28). I'm a little worried that he is going to beat me this year! :oops: Of course, part of me hopes that he will. Finding this sort of event is a great way to keep yourself on track without cutting into your time with family and friends.

Maybe Barkadion can push a double-stroller in a 5K!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

J-Madd wrote:I go with Paul Roarke's advice from Corps Strength. I keep myself on dietary track for the entire season, except for the actual holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve). On those days I try to get something like a long LSS that will burn a bunch of calories, but otherwise I just celebrate eating and drinking whatever I want. The next day I go right back to my normal dietary routines. That has worked really well for me for the last three years to keep from gaining any weight over the holidays, while also still having some fun. Events like the office Christmas party can be tough, so can an invite to someone's house. I hate to be an ungracious food snob! On those occasions, I play my weekly cheat meal option at the party instead of my regular Friday night.

We now take our entire family to a Turkey Trot on the morning of Thanksgiving. They have a variable course ranging from .5 to 5 miles, so our kids can scale the run to their abilities. Last year I beat my 11 year old son (he is 12 now) by only about 3-4 minutes on the 5 mile course, and I had run a very good time for me at that distance (34.28). I'm a little worried that he is going to beat me this year! :oops: Of course, part of me hopes that he will. Finding this sort of event is a great way to keep yourself on track without cutting into your time with family and friends.

Maybe Barkadion can push a double-stroller in a 5K!
Jokes aside.. pushing double stroller ain't that easy!!! :roll:

NFARCH

Post by NFARCH »

I actually find pigging out once in while helpful to my training. Timing it around the holidays is easy enough.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I had a piece of pecan, cherry, and pumpkin pie for breakfast today. No shame.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:I had a piece of pecan, cherry, and pumpkin pie for breakfast today. No shame.
Just one piece? :lol:

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:I had a piece of pecan, cherry, and pumpkin pie for breakfast today. No shame.
One of each. Plus a big whey shake.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
One of each. Plus a big whey shake.
That's a good way to start Thanksgiving days :)

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I mostly just eat normally and then on the holidays themselves I eat whatever I like. Eggnog is my poison, so I try to mix it in with protein powder so it's at least somewhat good for me. I sometimes use Jim Wendler's advice too - if I'm going somewhere where I know there's a bunch of unhealthy food, I have a protein shake before I go. This way I get in at least something decent before I go. I've been pretty consistent around 195-200 pounds this way for the past two years.

close_fox

Post by close_fox »

I have had some success with the following strategy:

1. Don't sweat it. You aren't going to sabotage all your progress in one day.

2. Train early. If the holiday is a training day, get it done before you get busy, cocktails start flowing, etc.

3. Don't snack while watching TV. Way too easy to zone out and eat several hundred calories worth of junk.

4. Mid afternoon nap. Recharge. Avoid annoying family "discussions." Also, it's very difficult to consume calories when you are asleep.

5. Avoid ridiculous food items. One of my relatives always brings an "appetizer" that consists mostly of salad dressing and cheese. It's difficult for me to rationalize eating something like that. Spend those calories on mom's mashed potatoes, pie+ice cream, good whiskey, etc. Not processed goo that is basically garbage.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.