Omega 3 (Fish Oil) vs. muscle soreness?

close_fox

Omega 3 (Fish Oil) vs. muscle soreness?

Post by close_fox »

Purely by coincidence, my doctor put me on fish oil around the same time I started BB. I experienced almost zero soreness during BB. I was a little tired and stiff at times, but nothing I would call sore. Certainly nowhere close to DOMS. I wonder how much the fish oil had do with it? My amateur "research" (Google) shows there might be a connection. Does anyone have any insight re: fish oil vs. muscle soreness?
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

tomcatflyer

Re: Omega 3 (Fish Oil) vs. muscle soreness?

Post by tomcatflyer »

I'm pretty religious about taking my fish oil and I make a point of consuming from a high quality source... but I have to admit that I've never noticed any benefits. I keep taking it because the research seems pretty clear that we don't get enough Omega 3s, and so my hope is that its keeping me healthy even if I don't notice the benefits.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I used to take it religiously years back for my hip/knees. Then I switched to regular fish. I eat it at least once a week. And.. I didn't see any difference (for worse or better).. So, my point it that fish oil is hardly pushed by pharmaceuticals as many other supps. I am not saying it is not beneficial. I am saying that being reasonable wit your eating patterns will solve your issues most likely..
And YMMV, yes.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I used to take fish oil, but now I just eat more fish. Like Barkadion says, I haven't noticed any difference. I did see increased recovery and felt less joint pain when I started fish oil, so if I keep it up throughout the week I typically feel the same.

I'm a big fan of salmon, so I end up eating a pound of salmon a week over the course of the week (four 4oz servings), or pretty much one serving every other day.

Caleddin

Post by Caleddin »

I am a huge fan of sardines, myself. Oily fish, cheap, delicious (if you like the taste of fish at least). You can put them on toast with avocado, put it in a simple pasta, bake them in with eggs. I feel like they are sorely under-utilized as a food.