Vitamin D - Don't Get Carried Away

K.B.
Site Admin

Vitamin D - Don't Get Carried Away

Post by K.B. »

An excellent article on D by the folks at Precision Nutrition.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/stop-vitamin-d

Barkadion

Re: Vitamin D - Don't Get Carried Away

Post by Barkadion »

K.B. wrote:An excellent article on D by the folks at Precision Nutrition.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/stop-vitamin-d
Thank you KB. That is a good one.

Getting kidney stones is very common side effect of Vit D supplementation. I know several folks who got into that trouble after following doctor advice and starting D supplementation. Some Fish Oil brands and multivitamins have a high D as an ingredient.

All supplements game is crazy. One should be really educated before following media and physicians' advises.

Unfortunately, getting into trouble with health care/pharm providers ->re-educating yourself and -> learning from your own mistakes is a common pattern nowadays.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

Just made a post on the reddit about this very thing, D causing joint and bone pain, possibly because of not taking co-factor K with it. Something to do with how K helps D shuttle calcium to the correct areas.

Mike Prevost

Post by Mike Prevost »

K2 supplementation is a "must do" when you take Vitamin D supplements. Make sure it is K2 and not vitamin K. There is a difference. Vitamin D affects calcium absorption and K2 makes sure that the calcium goes to the right places (i.e., bones) and not the wrong places (i.e., kidneys and coronary arteries). It is too bad we have to supplement at all but approx. 40% of the population is vitamin D deficient due to not getting enough sunlight exposure. It is important to have enough Vitamin D because it impacts nearly 7% of the human genome, which is huge.
Mike Prevost, PhD
Assistant Professor, Loyola Marymount University
CAPT US Navy Retired
http://built-to-endure.blogspot.com/

GlassCityMedic

Post by GlassCityMedic »

SImplest ( and safest way) to supplement Vit D is get a blood test. I got mine checked and I was low despite taking 1000 IU a day in fish oil. I now take 3000 IU daily and get my levels checked every 6 months and I am good to go. No different that the check and test you do with any other training. Blindly taking large amounts is a bad idea.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Mike Prevost wrote:K2 supplementation is a "must do" when you take Vitamin D supplements. Make sure it is K2 and not vitamin K. There is a difference. Vitamin D affects calcium absorption and K2 makes sure that the calcium goes to the right places (i.e., bones) and not the wrong places (i.e., kidneys and coronary arteries). It is too bad we have to supplement at all but approx. 40% of the population is vitamin D deficient due to not getting enough sunlight exposure. It is important to have enough Vitamin D because it impacts nearly 7% of the human genome, which is huge.
I have been taking Vitamin D for years now because my doctor recommended it. 5000IU a day. Blood labs show normal to high levels, but still way with normal limits. My question is how reversible is the calcification if it has formed from taking too much vitamin D? I eat a good amount of grassfed butter and believe there is a good amount of K2 in it. Should I seek to take in more through supplementation if I'm on vitamin D?