Multivitamins

Vagabond

Re: Multivitamins

Post by Vagabond »

DocOctagon wrote:
Barkadion wrote:You don't really need to take multi. The best approach is to do your blood work on the regular basis and supplement elements that you are lacking. You can do some damage otherwise..

Here is very good read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedFitnes ... efit_from/
Are you kidding me? It's a post by an anonymous Reddit user who picks and chooses studies that cast vitamins and minerals in a bad light. One of the references this overview (?) uses is the quote of another redditor for chrissake'. There are equally as many studies and reports showing the benefits of vitamins and minerals. Here is another link (to a real scientist), an outstanding interview with a biomedical scientist that specializes in nutrition and supplementation. She gives context to the studies that put a negative spin on vitamin and mineral supplementation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh0xB4OJdpQ

I don't disagree with you completely btw, some vitamins or minerals like iron can do harm or even cause death if you're not deficient, but like most things there's a middle ground filled with context and layers. "You don't really need to take a multi" followed by a link to a report on Reddit isn't going to cut it. While periodic testing and supplementing deficiencies is ideal, most of us live in the real world and this isn't going to be a realistic (or affordable) option. There's enough information out there to put together a safe and comprehensive vitamin/mineral supp plan without visiting the lab every month. I can't recommend that podcast interview enough for anyone that wants a basic primer in nutritional supplementation, especially if you're confused by conflicting information. Don't blindly put your faith in it of course, but come to your own conclusions.

Thanks for the link Doc Oc, & I agree with you wholeheartedly. The info on telemores (sp?) was especially interesting.

Balaclava

Re: Multivitamins

Post by Balaclava »

I use a few different brands, the LEF mix, Now, and Thorne. I just feel plain better all around when I'm taking a multi regularly.