Multivitamins

StayGrey

Re: Multivitamins

Post by StayGrey »

I gotta agree with the Doc here. Used to be in the "don't need it" camp, but that podcast along with other readings turned my ship around. Rogan actually does 3 or 4 interviews with her, and for the most part they're gold Jerry, gold.

@Tym87 I take the LEF 2-a-day.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Right now I use Swanson's multi, along with a little extra D, magnesium and CoQ10. Carlsons, Thorne, and Jarrow.

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic »

This might be relevant to your discussion gents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u8UdZeOhc

Patrick's rebuttal to the vitamins-aren't-necessary crowd. This chic knows her stuff.

And here's her site:

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/

Looks like I have some reading and listening to do.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Nomad wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Discussion went somewhere else, though. The main point is to take supplementation only if you need that. Period.
If you actually listen to the links Doc provided, this is kind of the point. Dr. Patrick makes a very compelling argument for why taking a daily multi is better than not taking one. It is "needed" if you want to optimize your health and slow the aging process. It doesn't sound like you've actually listened to the podcast.

Here's another study on the benefits of a daily multi:

http://ergo-log.com/multilong.html
And the indication of that is my agreement or disagreement with the interview?

As I mentioned before I have a lot of respect for Dr. Patrick and her nutritional science discourse one of the best you can find in the net. It seems that we both to follow whole-foods evidence and plant-based nutrition. But I can see that she is more supplement-focused and I am more cautious in this regard. That makes me curious why..

Now, in my opinion in that particular video her arguments while sound in rationale, appeared more focused on countering a position than a balanced discussion. And she raises some great points. I am giving her that. I guess this was a reflection of her being understandably frustrated by limitations or problems in methodology for a number of these studies coupled with media's misunderstanding of the research.

I am not aware of her having any major conflicts of interest. And all internet readers may benefit from some controversy. This is solid true. I would still be interested to see if she is related to some sort of promotion and/or sale/affiliation with the supplement industry. In either case, her interviews and discussions have been amongst the most through, balanced and high-impact that can be found on the web.

But I still don't see any problems with my original statement: "to take supplementation only if you need that". And I don't really make my life choices based statements that refer to "general US population" and such. If you follow TB training, you mind your nutrition, you mind your levels, and you take some supps that are recommended in TB books.. you... You can make your choice how to end this sentence.

But that's me and YMMW, as usual.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

This is all solid advice and I see the perspective from both sides of the coin. Since I'm in a stage of recovery I think I'm going to go with a multi to cover my bases. I do like the idea of getting tested to find deficiencies and will explore that route if I can find an economic means to do so. Ill probably go with a low iron pill

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Aelian wrote:with a little extra D
;)

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

Green2Blue wrote:
;)
Hahaha

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Tym87 wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:
;)
Hahaha
Hahaha. Can never have too much D.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Barkadion wrote: But I still don't see any problems with my original statement: "to take supplementation only if you need that".
This is the statement that's the issue:
Barkadion wrote:You don't really need to take multi.
Do you need it? You don't need anything. But if you want to improve your health and quality of life, then taking a multi is a pro, not a con. A damn big pro, considering how convenient it is vs the benefit it provides. Especially for anyone involved in training on a regular basis.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:
Barkadion wrote: But I still don't see any problems with my original statement: "to take supplementation only if you need that".
This is the statement that's the issue:
Barkadion wrote:You don't really need to take multi.
Do you need it? You don't need anything. But if you want to improve your health and quality of life, then taking a multi is a pro, not a con. A damn big pro, considering how convenient it is vs the benefit it provides. Especially for anyone involved in training on a regular basis.
We are going circles, brother. Do what is best for you. I am following my way. Peace.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky