Metabolic Damage, really?

Barkadion

Metabolic Damage, really?

Post by Barkadion »

In short:

"When you take body composition and energy intake into account, there is no evidence of metabolic damage in the literature. This includes anorectic women, malnourished individuals, research for the Second World War on the effects of starvation, bodybuilders during contest prep and wrestlers that aggressively make weight for their competitions. Human metabolism adapts, but even in extreme cases it does not suffer permanent damage. As such, metabolic damage can be considered a myth."

http://journals.ke-i.org/index.php/mra/article/view/908
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Re: Metabolic Damage, really?

Post by Maxrip13 »

I had never even heard of that before. It's interesting as I would of assumed that humans were made to deal with that sort of thing and recover well. Food is readily available now but wasn't always so easy to get.

To be honest I massively under eat and still maintain/gain weight. I go through periods were I eat more, but I just eat to suurvive and try and get green stuff as much as possible right now.

Nutrition is my biggest weak point for years though. One day I will square it away because I definitely notice a performance boost.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:I had never even heard of that before. It's interesting as I would of assumed that humans were made to deal with that sort of thing and recover well. Food is readily available now but wasn't always so easy to get.

To be honest I massively under eat and still maintain/gain weight. I go through periods were I eat more, but I just eat to suurvive and try and get green stuff as much as possible right now.

Nutrition is my biggest weak point for years though. One day I will square it away because I definitely notice a performance boost.
I think you can go just up to certain point with that.. Things start to catch up with you at particular age and/or point of life. I really need to watch what I eat now. I don't mean go "organic" or on any particular diet but eat clean. Homemade food mostly, real oils, dairy, veggies without anything else. No sugars, fried food, no artificial flavors. Something like that. And I feel like shit if I break that rule.

When I was in my 20s and 30s, however... There was no rules.. :lol:

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Then take it under "advisement", file it away and keep doing what you're comfortable with. Until alternative studies turn up providing a mechanism for which irreparable metabolic damage occurs, either do what you need done assuming that metabolic damage does not exist, or play it safe and don't push your body too hard.

Remember that even if metabolic damage is a myth, the fact still remains that it is hard to build muscle. Why push your body to the point where you have to rebuild muscle? Beyond that, what exactly do you need done that requires you push your body to the limits of its capabilities? Scientific studies are valid up to the point when another scientific study disproves the earlier study.

The question I have is, regardless of whether metabolic damage is real or imaginary, what applicable significance does this insight have towards your goals?

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Blackmetalbunny wrote: The question I have is, regardless of whether metabolic damage is real or imaginary, what applicable significance does this insight have towards your goals?
Exactly. It goes in the mental masturbation file.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Barkadion wrote:As such, metabolic damage can be considered a myth.[/url]
Bark, don't take my comments the wrong way. I'm highlighting what I've always said on many posts : Don't miss the forest for the trees.

It is always good to keep learning and be curious, but in terms of needs, the TB & TB2 protocol will give you the 20% that you need to get 80% of the way to being a beast. While learning constantly ensures that we don't end up with blinders directing a narrow vision, it is also crucial to ensure that accumulated knowledge doesn't blind us to what ultimately is important and what ultimately works.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:Bark, don't take my comments the wrong way. I'm highlighting what I've always said on many posts : Don't miss the forest for the trees.
No worries, mate. Always appreciate your comments :D
Blackmetalbunny wrote:It is always good to keep learning and be curious
Sounds like you know me, mate :D

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aelian wrote:Exactly. It goes in the mental masturbation file.
Haha, good one! Filing is a virtue ;)