Examine.com Guides?

Sorntel

Examine.com Guides?

Post by Sorntel »

Anyone ever buy or read one of these?

I've been eyeing Examine's testosterone book...but at a whopping $50 it seems pretty pricey. I don't want to pay that much if it's the typical "take your zinc, vit d, do intermittent fasting and lift/sprint" advice that can be found for free. That being said I know some of you have spoken highly about the examine site in general.

What do you think TB-ers, worth it?

Green2Blue

Re: Examine.com Guides?

Post by Green2Blue »

You won't find any game changers. Those exist, and they're called PEDs.

Most information is free. It's the packaging that costs money.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I am with G2B on this one.

I do like Examin.com and I've been using it for a while on the regular basis for free. I get what I need easily. I find it trustworthy.

On the other hand.. Friend of mine talked me into buying Precision Nutrition book few years ago. The book is good but I didn't get anything new out of it at all. Nothing. I have wasted my money in a way.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

Green2Blue wrote:You won't find any game changers. Those exist, and they're called PEDs.

Most information is free. It's the packaging that costs money.
Agreed. I'm not looking for game changers, more for a way to support testosterone through vitamin/mineral supps while training. Basically to shore up against any deficiencies brought about by hard training that affect test production.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Examine is a decent resource but the guide is definitely overpriced. They can charge whatever they want but $50 for what they provide is a rip-off. Here's the advice in a nutshell:

Base Supplements
- Take 25-30mg of Zinc
- Take 200-400mg of Magnesium
- Take 2000-3000 iu of D

Consider Adding
D-Aspartic Acid if you're young. Which I think is terrible advice btw. DAA can increase prolactin levels which can lower testosterone levels. The study the industry uses to sell DAA lasted about 2 weeks with a small sample size.

DHEA if you're old. Again I don't think this is the greatest advice. DHEA boosts estrogen as well as testosterone which is the last thing an older person needs. Testosterone converts into estrogen in higher and higher quantities as we get older, and estrogen then antagonizes testosterone causing levels to go even lower.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Here's a study showing D-Aspartic Acid LOWERS testosterone in young resistance trained men ages 18-36:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25844073

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

DocOctagon wrote:Examine is a decent resource but the guide is definitely overpriced. They can charge whatever they want but $50 for what they provide is a rip-off. Here's the advice in a nutshell:

Base Supplements
- Take 25-30mg of Zinc
- Take 200-400mg of Magnesium
- Take 2000-3000 iu of D

Consider Adding
D-Aspartic Acid if you're young. Which I think is terrible advice btw. DAA can increase prolactin levels which can lower testosterone levels. The study the industry uses to sell DAA lasted about 2 weeks with a small sample size.

DHEA if you're old. Again I don't think this is the greatest advice. DHEA boosts estrogen as well as testosterone which is the last thing an older person needs. Testosterone converts into estrogen in higher and higher quantities as we get older, and estrogen then antagonizes testosterone causing levels to go even lower.
Thanks Doc! I'm on the same page as you, imo this isn't worth $50. Crazy.