Functional Diet for the Tactical Athlete

Maxrip13

Re: Functional Diet for the Tactical Athlete

Post by Maxrip13 »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:I want to look at intermittent fasting for convenience. I have read the warrior diet years ago and it makes sense, but I was wondering what peoples experience was on it while training TB barbell style with heavy conditioning and also some bjj or similar at the same time.
Ultimately it depends on what you are seeking to achieve with intermittent fasting. From what I've seen, intermittent fasting seems to be primarily practiced by people with a physique objective in mind.

The supposed magic is that intermittent fasting can help you lose weight easily. I've personally experienced that - it's so easy to maintain a hypocaloric diet with IF, however; the flip side is that unless your protein numbers are dialed in well, you can expect lean mass loss too. Then again; once your protein numbers are dialed in, expect it to be harder to add mass unless you're eating protein 6 or 7 times in that 8 hour window. However; if your objectives are to control your total daily caloric intake, what's the point then?

Ultimately; IF is a lifestyle. It's not easy to transition between a IF and regular eating hours, because your body is receiving a shock each time you transition off or on it. On my days transitioning to regular eating hours, I feel so bloated after a light breakfast because I'm not accustomed to. On the flip side, transitioning to IF is a bit of a fight for the first week until you're well into the groove. Nonetheless; I find IF good for weight reduction, but less useful if you want to add mass.

I've found a bit of an in-between, doing 16-18 hour fasts about 3-4 times a week but allowing myself to eat breakfast if I want at least 2 times a week. It's not true intermittent fasting as such, and I'm certain it doesn't confer the significant health benefits, but sometimes; it's just not always so easy, especially when your dinner last night wasn't as filling (in my case; this means hitting my protein numbers for the day, and protein numbers for that meal).

Cheers for the response. I have experimented with it in the past and had mixed results in performance. I followed the warrior diet.
I am mostly looking into it for performance and ease of lifestyle. I want to know that I won't crash if I miss a couple meals at work before getting home. I may just start using snack type foods such as nuts and the like and save my main meals for before and straight after work.

Joys of being a tactical athlete means nutrition can't always be the best I guess.

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Maxrip13 wrote:I am mostly looking into it for performance and ease of lifestyle. I want to know that I won't crash if I miss a couple meals at work before getting home. I may just start using snack type foods such as nuts and the like and save my main meals for before and straight after work
Based on the typical IF practices, you need to be fasting for 14-16 or more hours straight. If you're eating snacks during the inbetween hours, that's not really a fast.

From my own experiences and my wife's experiences with fasting, we don't quite crash during a workout when on a fast but the intensity is definitely reduced, unless you can get your workout in the middle of your fasting hours. Even then I find it harder to recover from hefting heavy weights. I had no problems with IF when doing pure calisthenics though.

EDIT: I think, this is where the crux of making IF work lies. If MY primary objective is to shred fat, and my performance or PRs can take a backseat, then IF would work - because it matters that I lift (rep volume), but how much I lift isn't a primary consideration (i.e. rep intensity or total intensity). However; if keeping my max strength up is a key objective, then it wouldn't really work for me. I can see myself stalling; or I expect my session or accumulated fatigue getting to high. That also goes against the rule of staying fresh and lifting fresh.

I suppose I can see hitting a MS sessions really hard for 3-4 cycles, with the objective of getting my MS far beyond a target level, then transitioning towards IF and a recomp for 4-6 cycles to shed fat. OR running BB during IF, using BB as a way to further a hypocaloric diet, but I would hazard that it would be a sub-optimal BB cycle - but if recomp is the primary objective, then performance gains shouldn't really be a key consideration.

I personally feel that IF suits a lifestyle that's built around schedule and regularity. It can be run on a military, first responder, LEO lifestyle, but it's tougher. I would hazard that you could find some way to make it work, I just personally don't know how.
Last edited by Blackmetalbunny on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

mtguy1976

Post by mtguy1976 »

This is a good thread, glad to see some diversity. I'm a vegetarian, been that way for about 10 years. By vegetarian I mean, no chicken and no fish which a lot of people seem to ask if I eat that. I do eat eggs and have some dairy by way of protein powders. So for me, I definitely don't do low /no carb. About the only way I can get my protein is through foods containing carbs like beans and oats are two common ones for me. A quick snap shot of my day is:
Oats
Veggies-spinach, carrots (I'm surprised I'm not orange with how many I eat), peas, red peppers, cucumbers
Fruits- Dates, Apples, avocados, pineapple, blueberries
Nuts and peanut butter
Almond/cashew milk
Protein powder (I stick to ones sweetened with Stevia, the others ones give me headaches and a nasty aftertast)
Protein Bars Quest is my favorite buy they get pricey
Bread - Usually a PB and banana or honey sandwich
Beans or a bean concoction
I usually have a couple bites of frozen yogurt at the end of the night.
This works for me and its taken a while to figure it out through trial and lots of error. Eating too little is what got me in the beginning and that lead to being under recovered. Depending on the workout planned and how I'm feeling, I take in about 2500-3000 cal a day.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote:I am mostly looking into it for performance and ease of lifestyle. I want to know that I won't crash if I miss a couple meals at work before getting home. I may just start using snack type foods such as nuts and the like and save my main meals for before and straight after work
Based on the typical IF practices, you need to be fasting for 14-16 or more hours straight. If you're eating snacks during the inbetween hours, that's not really a fast.

From my own experiences and my wife's experiences with fasting, we don't quite crash during a workout when on a fast but the intensity is definitely reduced, unless you can get your workout in the middle of your fasting hours. Even then I find it harder to recover from hefting heavy weights. I had no problems with IF when doing pure calisthenics though.

EDIT: I think, this is where the crux of making IF work lies. If MY primary objective is to shred fat, and my performance or PRs can take a backseat, then IF would work - because it matters that I lift (rep volume), but how much I lift isn't a primary consideration (i.e. rep intensity or total intensity). However; if keeping my max strength up is a key objective, then it wouldn't really work for me. I can see myself stalling; or I expect my session or accumulated fatigue getting to high. That also goes against the rule of staying fresh and lifting fresh.

I suppose I can see hitting a MS sessions really hard for 3-4 cycles, with the objective of getting my MS far beyond a target level, then transitioning towards IF and a recomp for 4-6 cycles to shed fat. OR running BB during IF, using BB as a way to further a hypocaloric diet, but I would hazard that it would be a sub-optimal BB cycle - but if recomp is the primary objective, then performance gains shouldn't really be a key consideration.

I personally feel that IF suits a lifestyle that's built around schedule and regularity. It can be run on a military, first responder, LEO lifestyle, but it's tougher. I would hazard that you could find some way to make it work, I just personally don't know how.
It seems like it wouldn't be too effective for my goals really then. I am not that interested in body composition and only care about performance. I found this approach gets me results in both anyway. I may just stick to what I already do and occasionally fast for one day a week and work on cleaning up my diet.

I think it may be time to invest in a mini esky and working out some healthy food I can easily transport. I may need to start making some of these protein pancakes and protein balls I see people rocking these days. My biggest issue is getting the right amount of protein without resorting to junk food.

fazer681

Post by fazer681 »

I have briefly mentioned my diet adventures in another post.

Ill rehash here.

I have probably run the gamut of several different kinds of diets. Mainly because my body hates me and doesnt want to do as its told haha

Ive always had a weight problem. It also doesnt help that Diabetes, sort of runs in my family (on both sides). As far as I know I dont have it, but im pretty sure, I have been on the cusp several times.

I have had great success in losing weight/fat by doing Atkins (AKA Ketogenic diet), and Paleo.
My workouts were also different at each time. During Atkins, I was doing primarily treadmill jogging, with some light calisthenics. During Paleo, I was primarily doing crossfit.
My results for both (composition wise) were slightly different, although i did trim down in both cases. During the Atkins/cardio I trimmed down, but i was definitely more skinny-fat. During Paleo/crossfit, I ended up at the same weight, but with a MUCH lower bodyfat percentage.
and when I say "trimmed down" , think 40-60 lbs lol

Unfortunately, I love carbs too much. To my dismay, I have been trying to find a way to incorporate carbs (for physical/mental satiety and performance), but I dont think I have been too successful in doing so. It really sucks, because im trying to balance both fatloss and performance, and I kinda feel like those two things are polar opposites in terms of being able to achieve either one, successfully, at least the way im trying to do it now.

Currently, I try to eat 3 meals a day, with small snacks in between. Balanced meals of equal parts protein/carb, with some fat. During the week, I try to stick to lean proteins (lots of chicken, with occasional beef), veggies (lots of broccoli or green beans), brown rice for my main carb source (sometimes quinoa), and usually cheddar cheese, or guac as my fats ( or whatever else is available.). Weekends is a whole nother issue altogether. :oops:

Seeing as Ive been at it, for a few weeks, now, and the scale hasnt really moved (all while following BB), I am considering minimizing my carb intake on days when i do lighter work (like E sessions), and upping my intake on higher intensity days (like SE/GC/HIC), Instead of just following the same diet for everday (regardless of workout intensity).

Usually, I feel like complete garbage after an SE session....just wasted...and coincidentally, after those workouts my body just feels like its screaming for carbs. Sometimes I just crave junk food (my weakness is pizza, but I can be satiated with a double burger! :P )...and occasionally I give in.....I just hope thats not whats been keeping me from losing the weight that ive been trying to :?

alrite...i think ive given my lot in this...hopefully my struggles can help some of you....if not, then i guess, f@#$ me, right? :lol:

GlassCityMedic

Post by GlassCityMedic »

I have experimented with some different options with regard to lower carb, most recently Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint. The reason I like his stuff his that basically your carb intake can be a sliding scale depending on your goals/activity levels. I did the <50g a day carbs which basically puts you almost ketogenic. Big problem was I was not hungry so my caloric intake dropped to like 1300 kcal a day. I am 6 ft 220 lbs so this is obviously not viable long term. I feel best when I am in the 150-175 g carbs a day and I can fit 5-6 workouts a week in consistently and recover. I think it really depends what your goals are. If you are overweight/diabetic/metabolic syndrome then probably limiting your carb intake until you drop some fat and improve your insulin sensitivity will help you. Once you are at the point where you want to hit your HIC's etc harder you are probably going to need more carbs in order to recover your glycogen and have enough fuel for E sessions. Mostly I try and limit processed foods and sugar/alcohol in particular.

My main foods:
1) Proteins: Chicken,eggs,salmon, tuna, red meat 2 x weekly
2) Carbs: Rice, oatmeal, whole potatos occasionally brown rice pasta, chia etc
3)Fats: Olive oil, coconut oil, full fat coconut milk, nuts/seeds, tahini, avocado and avocado oil
4) AMRAP fruits and vegtables

I eliminated dairy since its like kryptonite for my GI system and usually I have organic almond/coconut milk instead.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
Another piece of wisdom from BMB. Probably a topic for another thread, but this seems to be overlooked by many. Anything that you put in your mouth that stimulates the digestive processes negates many of the benefits of a true fast. This includes supplements, coffee, juices and whatnot. You'll still see some positives from the calorie restriction and less-frequent insulin response, but you'll miss out on many of the other effects.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

DocOctagon wrote:
Blackmetalbunny wrote:
Another piece of wisdom from BMB. Probably a topic for another thread, but this seems to be overlooked by many. Anything that you put in your mouth that stimulates the digestive processes negates many of the benefits of a true fast. This includes supplements, coffee, juices and whatnot. You'll still see some positives from the calorie restriction and less-frequent insulin response, but you'll miss out on many of the other effects.
From what I have read as long as the what you consume effectively has zero calories then you still get the benefits of the fast. For example things like coffee and tea are fine. I personally just eat when I am hungry at the moment and try to have it be something I have cooked or chosen to eat instead of fast food all the time.

I am looking for a nutrition approach that will work long term and be sustainable for me. I love my coffees in the morning but don't each much through the day/on shift, but as soon a s I train I love to eat pretty much straight after. I find myself generally eating two meals these days. One post training and before I go to work and one midday through the shift for night time or after if it's a day shift. My main problem is I am not getting anywhere near enough calories to recover from my training without junk food haha.

I think I may start snacking on fruit, protein powders and jerky type stuff through the day and then sit down to a big meal at home/at around dinner time at work. It's not perfect, but it's the only thing that seems to work at the moment for me.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:My main problem is I am not getting anywhere near enough calories to recover from my training without junk food
Max, this is something I don't understand, mate. I am seeing it all around the different posts. I don't see any issues with getting my numbers in. Usually, it is the other way around :lol: I just eat more carbs if i am below my daily intake. Assuming I am eating regular meal. Extra 1-2 pieces of bread and few extra spoons of a rice/oatmeal/potato do the trick for me. I can reward myself with an apple/orange. And I am getting around 3K Cal daily. About 95% of homemade food. Nothing fancy. Very straightforward simple cooking.

I just started drinking powder shake due to my experiment with meatless diet. But usually I am good without it..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

When I am on extended holidays I have no issues getting my calories in and hitting that 3000 + with real quality food. When I am at work and dealing with odd shifts is when I start to have some trouble. When you finish at 3 am and your next shift is at 4pm the next day it starts to screw with your appetite a bit.I find myself having to force food down and with the limited window for sleep, nutrition, life and training I find that setting time to eat is what I generally don't quite get right. In the past I would just skip sleep, but I have actively been focusing on improving this part of my training life.

Now I am not trying to make excuses and say the old" Woe is me, I have it so hard " as I have been doing pretty well to mitigate some of the negatives by upping my recovery work and sleep quality, but I am considering different options that will let me work out something sustainable.

One thing I have been having success with is making sure that the meal at work I eat is good quality and not takeaway. If I eat my takeaway at work I feel lethargic, don't recover as well from limited sleep and can't train well the next day. If I eat a mostly healthy meal in my shift then I wake up in a much better state to train or whatever is planned before returning to work and repeating the cycle again. I find that if I eat my takeaway on my day off it has less of a negative effect even if I train before work the next day.

I still need to work out how to meet my calories, but at least the above is a positive. :D