Whole30

Green2Blue

Whole30

Post by Green2Blue »

Does anyone have experience with this diet? The wife has had some significant stomach pain for the last few months and the doctors have no idea what's wrong. She's had CT scans, scopes, you name it. I thought of doing this with her because it seems to cut out a lot of common digestive irritants.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

nickgoldma

Re: Whole30

Post by nickgoldma »

Green2Blue wrote:Does anyone have experience with this diet? The wife has had some significant stomach pain for the last few months and the doctors have no idea what's wrong. She's had CT scans, scopes, you name it. I thought of doing this with her because it seems to cut out a lot of common digestive irritants.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
I've done something similar and it worked pretty well. I suggest it. I'm considering doing the same thing again, as well. I think I would benefit from it. Maybe we can get a group of people on board on here to do it and share our results? Just a thought? I think it'd be interesting.
Get after it!

Blackmetalbunny

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Sounds like a modification of the Paleo Diet - and while I've seen success from the Paleo diet, I came to the realization that it's a wholesale change of eating habits coupled with cutting out caloric-dense modern foods. There's nothing special about it. You could re-package the idea and achieve similar results

I'd say that instead of shifting towards a proprietary diet - instead just try a whole food diet, remove as much processed food as possible, then eliminating and re-introducing individual food types to identify the main culprit of these stomach problems.

There might be the possibility that it's not the food group that's causing the problem, but either a preservative, emulsifier or modern additive which is giving her grief.

However; I wholeheartedly agree with this Whole30 prinicple:

Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients.

Too many people try to game their own diet by doing this.

Oh, that's no ordinary pop-tart, its an organic pop-tart.
Oh, protein pancakes are better for you because it's got added protein.

I've seen too many friends fail at their diet because they try to game their own diet, as though cheating yourself would make a difference. "Oh the calories don't count if it's not on my plate" - Yes... keep telling yourself that lie.

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

No personal experience, but I think it's a well laid out plan that I know many people have had success with. I think thr biggest thing is the community of people you're doing it with, clear instructions, real food, and once committed you have the burden of choice and the wasting of cognitive resources removed.

Decado

Post by Decado »

Forgive me, I just skimmed through the link but is this any different from Paleo?

Blackmetalbunny

Decado wrote:Forgive me, I just skimmed through the link but is this any different from Paleo?
It's basically a modified and repackaged Paleo diet.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:Sounds like a modification of the Paleo Diet - and while I've seen success from the Paleo diet, I came to the realization that it's a wholesale change of eating habits coupled with cutting out caloric-dense modern foods. There's nothing special about it. You could re-package the idea and achieve similar results

I'd say that instead of shifting towards a proprietary diet - instead just try a whole food diet, remove as much processed food as possible, then eliminating and re-introducing individual food types to identify the main culprit of these stomach problems.

There might be the possibility that it's not the food group that's causing the problem, but either a preservative, emulsifier or modern additive which is giving her grief.

However; I wholeheartedly agree with this Whole30 prinicple:

Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients.

Too many people try to game their own diet by doing this.

Oh, that's no ordinary pop-tart, its an organic pop-tart.
Oh, protein pancakes are better for you because it's got added protein.

I've seen too many friends fail at their diet because they try to game their own diet, as though cheating yourself would make a difference. "Oh the calories don't count if it's not on my plate" - Yes... keep telling yourself that lie.
Ya we really don't eat much in the way of manmade foods. We have a farm so a lot of our food we grow/raise. Something like this would cut out the little processed stuff in the diet.

I dunno, at this point the doctors don't know what's wrong so I figured it was worth a shot. The diet isn't THAT different; no greek yogurt, no 6 oz of juice in her shakes, no cup of cereal as her snack, no bread when we go out to eat once a week. All I'd need to cut out is peanuts and greek yogurt (told her I wouldn't cut out the whey). But after a few thousand in medical bills she's finally starting to feel better, so we're just crossing our fingers and hoping it goes away.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
Decado wrote:Forgive me, I just skimmed through the link but is this any different from Paleo?
It's basically a modified and repackaged Paleo diet.
Yup. I just decided on it since the rules were straight forward.

Blackmetalbunny

Green2Blue wrote:
Blackmetalbunny wrote:Ya we really don't eat much in the way of manmade foods. We have a farm so a lot of our food we grow/raise. Something like this would cut out the little processed stuff in the diet.

I dunno, at this point the doctors don't know what's wrong so I figured it was worth a shot. The diet isn't THAT different; no greek yogurt, no 6 oz of juice in her shakes, no cup of cereal as her snack, no bread when we go out to eat once a week. All I'd need to cut out is peanuts and greek yogurt (told her I wouldn't cut out the whey). But after a few thousand in medical bills she's finally starting to feel better, so we're just crossing our fingers and hoping it goes away.

What about recent changes in diet? Is there anything you might have used to eat but don't anymore?

Maybe the problem isn't so much of what you're currently eating when the problem peeked out, but what you had removed?

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Blackmetalbunny wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:
Blackmetalbunny wrote:Ya we really don't eat much in the way of manmade foods. We have a farm so a lot of our food we grow/raise. Something like this would cut out the little processed stuff in the diet.

What about recent changes in diet? Is there anything you might have used to eat but don't anymore?

Maybe the problem isn't so much of what you're currently eating when the problem peeked out, but what you had removed?
Not really. She's pretty consistent (aka stubborn as hell). We're going on a week of reduced pain so hopefully the problem has resolved itself.