Back to the protein requirements

Barkadion

Back to the protein requirements

Post by Barkadion »

https://examine.com/nutrition/should-on ... ybuilders/

"Protein requirements for experienced bodybuilders, and possibly resistance-trained athletes in general, are likely to be greater than currently indicated by the RDA. The study at hand used the IAAO technique to determine protein requirements and found that, on average, the eight young, male bodybuilder participants required about 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day, with the corresponding “new” RDA being 2.2 grams per kilogram (1.0 gram per pound) or perhaps even more. Importantly, this finding was on a rest day separated by at least 48 hours from a previous training session, so protein requirements on training days may be different. The current study findings are supported by controlled trials showing greater muscle growth with protein intakes around the 1.7 to 2.2 gram per kilogram range, as compared to lower intakes."
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Green2Blue

Re: Back to the protein requirements

Post by Green2Blue »

Been doing 1g/lb for about a decade now. I'm happy with the results.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:Been doing 1g/lb for about a decade now. I'm happy with the results.
Same here. 1g/lb of LBM, right?

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

Barkadion wrote:
Green2Blue wrote:Been doing 1g/lb for about a decade now. I'm happy with the results.
Eh. I'm sub-10% so I just go bw.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Green2Blue wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Eh. I'm sub-10% so I just go bw.
Haha:) Good one.

antlas

Post by antlas »

I like this strengtheory article on protein requirements: http://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-th ... f-protein/

I follow his recommendation of .82 g/lb at minimum, but I try for 1 g/lb. It's easy at maintenance calories or above, but it gets a bit tough when I'm at 1800 or below.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

antlas wrote:I like this strengtheory article on protein requirements: http://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-th ... f-protein/

I follow his recommendation of .82 g/lb at minimum, but I try for 1 g/lb. It's easy at maintenance calories or above, but it gets a bit tough when I'm at 1800 or below.
Do you take protein powder? I don't usually. But I have started it recently due to my meatless experiment and I find it very convenient and simple to meet my protein needs.. The trick is not to treat it as "normal nutrition". I keep reminding myself that it is a supplement.

My rule of thumb is to get some extra carbs if I feel that I am running low on my calories number. But protein shake with banana sets everything right..

antlas

Post by antlas »

Barkadion wrote:
antlas wrote:I like this strengtheory article on protein requirements: http://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-th ... f-protein/

Do you take protein powder? I don't usually. But I have started it recently due to my meatless experiment and I find it very convenient and simple to meet my protein needs.. The trick is not to treat it as "normal nutrition". I keep reminding myself that it is a supplement.

My rule of thumb is to get some extra carbs if I feel that I am running low on my calories number. But protein shake with banana sets everything right..

I make protein shakes every day when I'm bulking or struggling to hit maintenance. I usually throw in oatmeal and nuts for extra calories (plus fruits and veggies). When my calorie requirements are lower, I only take protein powder when I'm nearing the end of the day and haven't hit my minimum protein goal yet.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

antlas wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

I make protein shakes every day when I'm bulking or struggling to hit maintenance. I usually throw in oatmeal and nuts for extra calories (plus fruits and veggies). When my calorie requirements are lower, I only take protein powder when I'm nearing the end of the day and haven't hit my minimum protein goal yet.
Oatmeal sounds good. I should try that.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

From TB 3rd ed:

"When it comes to protein, I am a believer in the idea that you need roughly one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight daily. I’ve found my best improvements in body composition, energy, recovery and strength when I adhere to this guideline. There are people that will say you need far less, and others that’ll say you need to double that. When I ate lesser amounts of protein for any length of time, muscle mass, energy levels, and recovery diminished. I didn’t notice anything drastically different when eating more than 1gm per pound daily. These are my own anecdotal observations, and science seems to have a different opinion every year, so take from it what you will. I am of the opinion that bodybuilders can teach us a thing or two about muscle mass and recovery based on their time in the trenches, so I choose to err on the side of higher protein intake. That sounds like some sort of meathead slogan, ‘I choose to err on the side of higher protein intake’ but it works for me. "