Quick Hit - Magnesium & HIC (Take your magnesium!!!)

spemma

Re: Quick Hit - Magnesium & HIC (Take your magnesium!!!)

Post by spemma »

wondering if you guys have any thoughts on this.

i took some ZMA a couple years ago on a whim, and i got the best sleep of my life. it was incredible. i've never been a morning person and have woken up groggy most of my life. i took the ZMA and i woke up refreshed, was singing, happy. honestly, it was incredible. i was like "is this what most people feel like everyday?".

i researched the ZMA and discovered the magnesium was the key piece, so i supplemented with that directly.

unfortunately, the sleep effects from the ZMA/magnesium wore off after about a month. i still supplement with magenesium, and i would say that my sleep quality is still on average better, but it's not like those first few weeks i was taking the ZMA.

i feel like i'm chasing the high over here...trying to get back to my first few weeks of feeling great again. i've tried different forms of magnesium, including sprays....tried cycling off and back on, but nothing gets me back to that original "high".

any thoughts?

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

spemma wrote:wondering if you guys have any thoughts on this.

i took some ZMA a couple years ago on a whim, and i got the best sleep of my life. it was incredible. i've never been a morning person and have woken up groggy most of my life. i took the ZMA and i woke up refreshed, was singing, happy. honestly, it was incredible. i was like "is this what most people feel like everyday?".

i researched the ZMA and discovered the magnesium was the key piece, so i supplemented with that directly.

unfortunately, the sleep effects from the ZMA/magnesium wore off after about a month. i still supplement with magenesium, and i would say that my sleep quality is still on average better, but it's not like those first few weeks i was taking the ZMA.

i feel like i'm chasing the high over here...trying to get back to my first few weeks of feeling great again. i've tried different forms of magnesium, including sprays....tried cycling off and back on, but nothing gets me back to that original "high".

any thoughts?
Not sure if this is the problem, but magnesium and calcium antagonize one another to some extent and both help with sleep. If you keep pounding the magnesium without calcium you might be driving your calcium levels low and/or vice versa. Try a cal/mag 1:1 or 2:1 combo and see if that helps. Or just take a break from mag and zma for a week and try again.

spemma

Post by spemma »

Thanks Doc, much appreciated.

And I think you posted here or somewhere else about ZMA and joint soreness - that was very helpful. My knees were aching a few months ago and I thought it was due to basebuilding, but I read your comments on ZMA and stopped taking it, and the knee pain stopped.