Krill Oil

ryan28michael

Krill Oil

Post by ryan28michael »

Krill Oil - another fad or the real deal?

Is anyone seeing the benefits of using Krill Oil?

I try not to take too many supplements and at the moment I only take whey protein for post work out and use it to cook with.

I eat fish once to twice a week, I know I should eat more but it just doesn't happen so was thinking of trying some Krill Oil.

I'm due to start TB 2 base building block soon so thought it would assist the joints from the increased running on hard surfaces.

Thanks.

TangoZero

Re: Krill Oil

Post by TangoZero »

I stopped using fish oil years ago, and get it solely from food. Lately though I've been thinking about trying krill oil because Rhonda Patrick recommends it, and she really seems to know her shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDzLFzuotiE

ryan28michael

Post by ryan28michael »

I'll check out the link thanks.

I'm a fan of Jocko Willink and he recommends Krill Oil hence my interest in it...

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Short answer: don't take fish oil supplements. Eat sardines, mackerel, anchovies and salmon instead.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Jefferson wrote:Short answer: don't take fish oil supplements. Eat sardines, mackerel, anchovies and salmon instead.
Any particular reason? I'm skeptical of most supps these days (why I stopped fish oil), but nevertheless curious about your thinking behind this one.

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

TangoZero wrote:
Jefferson wrote:Short answer: don't take fish oil supplements. Eat sardines, mackerel, anchovies and salmon instead.
Any particular reason? I'm skeptical of most supps these days (why I stopped fish oil), but nevertheless curious about your thinking behind this one.
It is very difficult to extract oil from fish without oxidizing the the fragile double bonds. When oil is contained within the whole fish, there are stabilizing substances that prevent damage to the oil. Some studies show fish oil pills lowering cholesterol, which is true, but oxidized oil damages the cardiovascular system forcing the cholesterol measured in the blood to be used to repair inflammatory damage.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Jefferson wrote:
TangoZero wrote:
It is very difficult to extract oil from fish without oxidizing the the fragile double bonds. When oil is contained within the whole fish, there are stabilizing substances that prevent damage to the oil. Some studies show fish oil pills lowering cholesterol, which is true, but oxidized oil damages the cardiovascular system forcing the cholesterol measured in the blood to be used to repair inflammatory damage.
Thanks, you confirmed my skepticism about this stuff. The way things are marketed these days it's easy to get sucked back in.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Any one have tips on sardines/mackerel etc....

it's easy to get salmon in- I've heard of tim ferris eating canned sardines for breakfast. Any better way than just eating a can of sardines? Or is it just a matter of "bite the bullet"

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

alottadav wrote:Any one have tips on sardines/mackerel etc....

it's easy to get salmon in- I've heard of tim ferris eating canned sardines for breakfast. Any better way than just eating a can of sardines? Or is it just a matter of "bite the bullet"
Why do it if you're happy with the salmon? I've never enjoyed the taste of sardines so I just stick to salmon sashimi, grilled salmon, and cod liver oil.