Immune system question

Canterbury

Re: Immune system question

Post by Canterbury »

@Barkadion, to add to the above zinc also suppresses iron absorption...there's a good chance if you're feeling better without the zinc you might be in a mild state of both copper and iron.
A little runner's "secret"...try throwing some beets in a blender (canned beets are fine) and drinking up. Beets are a good source of iron and also give a big boost in the cardio department:

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-scien ... h-and-when

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Canterbury wrote:Good thread. People are shotgunning zinc on the advice of supplement "gurus" aka salespeople without realizing it's a potent copper antagonist. Copper's not the bad guy unless it's used in excessive amounts (like any vitamin or mineral). Copper aids in the absorption of iron and is important for a healthy heart and cardiovascular system. As Doc pointed out a deficiency in copper resembles iron anemia deficiency which would put some serious brakes on your cardio.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/copper

From the link:

Copper enzymes regulate various physiologic pathways, such as energy production, iron metabolism, connective tissue maturation, and neurotransmission. Copper deficiency can result from malnutrition, malabsorption, or excessive zinc intake and can be acquired or inherited. Symptoms include deficiencies in blood cells, bone and connective tissue abnormalities, and neurologic disorders.
Thank you. Live and learn.. ;)
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Barkadion wrote:
Canterbury wrote:Good thread. People are shotgunning zinc on the advice of supplement "gurus" aka salespeople without realizing it's a potent copper antagonist. Copper's not the bad guy unless it's used in excessive amounts (like any vitamin or mineral). Copper aids in the absorption of iron and is important for a healthy heart and cardiovascular system. As Doc pointed out a deficiency in copper resembles iron anemia deficiency which would put some serious brakes on your cardio.

From the link:

Copper enzymes regulate various physiologic pathways, such as energy production, iron metabolism, connective tissue maturation, and neurotransmission. Copper deficiency can result from malnutrition, malabsorption, or excessive zinc intake and can be acquired or inherited. Symptoms include deficiencies in blood cells, bone and connective tissue abnormalities, and neurologic disorders.

Barkadion, how did your zinc holiday work out for you? Curious if you resolved your issues

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

From the link:

Barkadion, how did your zinc holiday work out for you? Curious if you resolved your issues
I did. I stopped taking zinc completely for 3 weeks or so. Then started reintroduce 15mg. I can feel the difference. I take 15mg now but not every day. Just when I feel like it. Most of the weekdays..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Canterbury

Post by Canterbury »

Barkadion wrote:
BlackPyjamas wrote:
Barkadion wrote:

I did. I stopped taking zinc completely for 3 weeks or so. Then started reintroduce 15mg. I can feel the difference. I take 15mg now but not every day. Just when I feel like it. Most of the weekdays..
Good to hear! Thanks for updating us.