Immune system question

Barkadion

Immune system question

Post by Barkadion »

I have been getting sick with different types of flu/viral sickness quite often lately.. Which is unusual for me. Still recovering from brutal one (2nd week). That makes me think..

Would you guys be able to recommend any supps/meds/whatever to boos the immune system? Have you dealt with something like that yourself?

Any advise is highly appreciated!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

WhoDey

Re: Immune system question

Post by WhoDey »

How are you doing in the following non-supplement areas which affect the immune system?
  • Diet
    Stress
    Sleep
    Exercise - as in over-exercising
I do take a good multi-vitamin, a probiotic, vitamin D, and CoQ10.

Since the immune system is a "system", it's difficult to say with confidence that any single element of the above results in improved function, but I hardly ever get sick any more since paying close attention to lifestyle factors (diet, stress, sleep, exercise) and taking the few supplements I listed.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WhoDey wrote:How are you doing in the following non-supplement areas which affect the immune system?
  • Diet
    Stress
    Sleep
    Exercise - as in over-exercising
I do take a good multi-vitamin, a probiotic, vitamin D, and CoQ10.

Since the immune system is a "system", it's difficult to say with confidence that any single element of the above results in improved function, but I hardly ever get sick any more since paying close attention to lifestyle factors (diet, stress, sleep, exercise) and taking the few supplements I listed.
Thanks! I'd say everything from your list is in check except for the sleep due to being "new" dad (twins are in house). But I have been dealing with it for a year now and it seems to be manageable. Meaning I am well adjusted to it by now.

How does CoQ10 work for you? Do you see any difference from just Multi Vits?

Have you heard of Priority One Vitamins Bio-Vegetarian vitamins? I know few people who say it is an immune magic.. But I have my doubts..

Thanks again!

WhoDey

Post by WhoDey »

Well, being a new dad might be having an impact! Looking back, I can see how my sleep/diet/stress took a hit during that time.

I don't know about the multivitamin you listed. I take "Garden of Life Multivitamin for Men". I'm a researcher by trade, so I understand and accept the difficulty of "proving" that supplements are beneficial. Personally, I take a multi as sort of an insurance policy. I suppose a person could cycle on/off a supplement and decide for themselves whether or not there is a benefit.

CoQ10. A bit of backstory ... I suffered a heart event (heart attack) approximately 1.5 years ago and, among other things, the doctor put me on a statin. Statins can reduce CoQ10 levels, so many cardiologists recommend taking a CoQ10 supplement. Again, I see it as a type of insurance.

I honestly can't say with certainty the benefit of any single supplement, but I do feel like my immune system is stronger than it was pre-heart attack. I know of others that are more aggressive in taking supplements, but I'm fairly conservative. I would be careful in taking megadoses of a supplement.

I also made significant changes to my diet in that I consume a lot more vegetables and fruit than before. I've pretty much eliminated dairy which I think has resulted in great improvement in my seasonal allergies.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

WhoDey wrote:Well, being a new dad might be having an impact! Looking back, I can see how my sleep/diet/stress took a hit during that time.

I don't know about the multivitamin you listed. I take "Garden of Life Multivitamin for Men". I'm a researcher by trade, so I understand and accept the difficulty of "proving" that supplements are beneficial. Personally, I take a multi as sort of an insurance policy. I suppose a person could cycle on/off a supplement and decide for themselves whether or not there is a benefit.

CoQ10. A bit of backstory ... I suffered a heart event (heart attack) approximately 1.5 years ago and, among other things, the doctor put me on a statin. Statins can reduce CoQ10 levels, so many cardiologists recommend taking a CoQ10 supplement. Again, I see it as a type of insurance.

I honestly can't say with certainty the benefit of any single supplement, but I do feel like my immune system is stronger than it was pre-heart attack. I know of others that are more aggressive in taking supplements, but I'm fairly conservative. I would be careful in taking megadoses of a supplement.

I also made significant changes to my diet in that I consume a lot more vegetables and fruit than before. I've pretty much eliminated dairy which I think has resulted in great improvement in my seasonal allergies.
I am familiar with "Garden of Life Multivitamin for Men". I think it is rated highly on labdoor and it seems to be a good Multi.

I am big on dairy. Interesting.. I have never thought of it's relation to the allergies... I will need to look that up..

Thank you!

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

Barkadion wrote:I have been getting sick with different types of flu/viral sickness quite often lately.. Which is unusual for me. Still recovering from brutal one (2nd week). That makes me think..

Would you guys be able to recommend any supps/meds/whatever to boos the immune system? Have you dealt with something like that yourself?

Have you stopped training? I'd suggest doing that for a couple weeks before getting into meds or supplements....your body might be trying to tell you something.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

Don't know if it was placebo or not but I've had a good experience with the adaptagen Rhodiola and/or Adapt 232 (Adapt contains Rhodiola). It has some science behind it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16323290

That being said I don't know if Adapt is available anymore but rhodiola is.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TangoZero wrote:
Barkadion wrote:I have been getting sick with different types of flu/viral sickness quite often lately.. Which is unusual for me. Still recovering from brutal one (2nd week). That makes me think..

Have you stopped training? I'd suggest doing that for a couple weeks before getting into meds or supplements....your body might be trying to tell you something.
It mostly tells me that I'm having the best block so far :) Almost no issues with recovery.. some shitty flu is going around and few of my relatives are sick. It just happens to me often lately.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

StayGrey wrote:Don't know if it was placebo or not but I've had a good experience with the adaptagen Rhodiola and/or Adapt 232 (Adapt contains Rhodiola). It has some science behind it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16323290

That being said I don't know if Adapt is available anymore but rhodiola is.
Thank you! Will look into it!

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Bark, zinc can help as long as you don't overdo it. The right dose of zinc strengthens immunity, going too high weakens it bey depleting copper which then lowers neutrophils. Neutrophils are the tip of the spear for your immune system. About 15mg of zinc is the sweet spot.