Immune system question

Barkadion

Re: Immune system question

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:Bark, zinc can help as long as you don't overdo it. The right dose of zinc strengthens immunity, going too high weakens it bey depleting copper which then lowers neutrophils. Neutrophils are the tip of the spear for your immune system. About 15mg of zinc is the sweet spot.
Thank you, Doc!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:Bark, zinc can help as long as you don't overdo it. The right dose of zinc strengthens immunity, going too high weakens it bey depleting copper which then lowers neutrophils. Neutrophils are the tip of the spear for your immune system. About 15mg of zinc is the sweet spot.
Doc,

I've been taking ZMA for a long while. I just checked the dosage and it has 25mg of Z. Do you think it might be contributing to weakening of my immune system?

Thanks!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Barkadion wrote:
Doc,

I've been taking ZMA for a long while. I just checked the dosage and it has 25mg of Z. Do you think it might be killing my immune system?

Thanks!

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Barkadion wrote:
Doc,

I've been taking ZMA for a long while. I just checked the dosage and it has 25mg of Z. Do you think it might be contributing to weakening of my immune system?

Thanks!
Yes, it's very possible. Do a little google-fu on excess zinc intake. I am aware 30mg is a popular dose, but most people don't seem to realize that's 200% of the rda. It doesn't take much zinc to deplete copper or have other deleterious effects. In addition to potentially weakening the immune system copper deficiency mimics all the symptoms of anemia or iron deficiency. Fatigue and feeling "body-heavy" when running is a common symptom. Many recommend supplementing 1-2mg copper for every 10-15mg zinc, but I don't like supplementary copper because it has it's own drawbacks. If you suspect the zinc is contributing to your fatigue I strongly suggest you stop taking it for two weeks and see how you feel.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Doc,

Thanks!
Yes, it's very possible. Do a little google-fu on excess zinc intake. I am aware 30mg is a popular dose, but most people don't seem to realize that's 200% of the rda. It doesn't take much zinc to deplete copper or have other deleterious effects. In addition to potentially weakening the immune system copper deficiency mimics all the symptoms of anemia or iron deficiency. Fatigue and feeling "body-heavy" when running is a common symptom. Many recommend supplementing 1-2mg copper for every 10-15mg zinc, but I don't like supplementary copper because it has it's own drawbacks. If you suspect the zinc is contributing to your fatigue I strongly suggest you stop taking it for two weeks and see how you feel.
Thank you!

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Barkadion wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Doc,

Thanks!
Thank you!

Keep us posted. Curious to see what the issue is.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:
Thank you!

Keep us posted. Curious to see what the issue is.
Will do! Killing Zinc for now.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

It has been almost 2 weeks since i stopped taking Zinc. I do feel much better. Less "fatique like" feelings and better recovery.

I am not sure if I should go back to it with lower dose ~15mg.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Barkadion wrote:It has been almost 2 weeks since i stopped taking Zinc. I do feel much better. Less "fatique like" feelings and better recovery.

I am not sure if I should go back to it with lower dose ~15mg.
Neat. I'd be very interested in seeing where your iron and copper levels are right now.

Canterbury

Post by Canterbury »

Good thread. People are shotgunning zinc on the advice of supplement "gurus" aka salespeople without realizing it's a potent copper antagonist. Copper's not the bad guy unless it's used in excessive amounts (like any vitamin or mineral). Copper aids in the absorption of iron and is important for a healthy heart and cardiovascular system. As Doc pointed out a deficiency in copper resembles iron anemia deficiency which would put some serious brakes on your cardio.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/copper

From the link:

Copper enzymes regulate various physiologic pathways, such as energy production, iron metabolism, connective tissue maturation, and neurotransmission. Copper deficiency can result from malnutrition, malabsorption, or excessive zinc intake and can be acquired or inherited. Symptoms include deficiencies in blood cells, bone and connective tissue abnormalities, and neurologic disorders.