Caffeine

Barkadion

Caffeine

Post by Barkadion »

How do you guys go about caffeine for the pre-workouts?

I've been taking it for several years with great results. Considering me early morning training. BUT - I am noticing slow dose increase. I have started with 150mg for about 5-6 years ago. That was on low side of it. This morning I took 300mg which is "standard" dose for a regular dude s far as I know. The increase took ~6years but.. still.. I have officially doubled me dosage. Not sure if I need to worry about that...

What is your experience?
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Sorntel

Re: Caffeine

Post by Sorntel »

I used to use NO-Explode and other caffeinated pwos, but for the past year I've been doing the caffeine tablet thing. 200mg pre-workout. If I'm not feeling it I add in a capsule 500mg L-tyrosine which seems to reset the kick I get from caffeine.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Sorntel wrote:I used to use NO-Explode and other caffeinated pwos, but for the past year I've been doing the caffeine tablet thing. 200mg pre-workout. If I'm not feeling it I add in a capsule 500mg L-tyrosine which seems to reset the kick I get from caffeine.
Yes, I'm taking pills as well. I've heard of L-t but I haven't tried it..

How often do you take L?

supernova

Post by supernova »

I've always been reluctant to take any supplements but have highly considered a pre workout supplement to help with my energy. I've not very knowledgeable even after researching and find conflicting info. I looked at creatine but have a few concerns so have not used it. This is a broad question but do you guys have any resources you can share or suggestions as far as implementing pre workout supplements (caffeine, creatine)?

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

Barkadion wrote:
Sorntel wrote:I used to use NO-Explode and other caffeinated pwos, but for the past year I've been doing the caffeine tablet thing. 200mg pre-workout. If I'm not feeling it I add in a capsule 500mg L-tyrosine which seems to reset the kick I get from caffeine.
Yes, I'm taking pills as well. I've heard of L-t but I haven't tried it..

How often do you take L?
No more than 3 times a week. I develop a tolerance fairly quickly.

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

supernova wrote:I've always been reluctant to take any supplements but have highly considered a pre workout supplement to help with my energy. I've not very knowledgeable even after researching and find conflicting info. I looked at creatine but have a few concerns so have not used it. This is a broad question but do you guys have any resources you can share or suggestions as far as implementing pre workout supplements (caffeine, creatine)?
What are your concerns with creatine exactly? It's the most highly researched supplement in the market. Proven effective with no safety issues in 20 years plus. You're missing out on energy (ATP generation), muscle growth, power and cognitive benefits.

All the formulated pre-workouts are much more risky, many of them contain questionable ingredients, some of which have been pulled off the shelves.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Sorntel wrote:
supernova wrote:I've always been reluctant to take any supplements but have highly considered a pre workout supplement to help with my energy. I've not very knowledgeable even after researching and find conflicting info. I looked at creatine but have a few concerns so have not used it. This is a broad question but do you guys have any resources you can share or suggestions as far as implementing pre workout supplements (caffeine, creatine)?
What are your concerns with creatine exactly? It's the most highly researched supplement in the market. Proven effective with no safety issues in 20 years plus. You're missing out on energy (ATP generation), muscle growth, power and cognitive benefits.

All the formulated pre-workouts are much more risky, many of them contain questionable ingredients, some of which have been pulled off the shelves.
Agree. Safe to take.

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

And Caffeine is straightforward. Some dosage/usage adjustment might be in place depending on personal tolerance.

I also take BCAA which is not really required but I find it helpful with early mornings fasted training.

supernova

Post by supernova »

Barkadion wrote:
Sorntel wrote:

Agree. Safe to take.

And Caffeine is straightforward. Some dosage/usage adjustment might be in place depending on personal tolerance.

I also take BCAA which is not really required but I find it helpful with early mornings fasted training.
Very informative link. Much appreciated. I had the misconception that creatine merely just builds water retention in the muscles and gives a "buff" look without truly assisting in building strength. This article cleared up many questions and concerns I had regarding taking this. A few follow up questions:
Do you recommend loading or cycling?
Is there a certain brand you guys highly recommend?
My purpose is to get a bit more energy during workouts and to help build strength. I honestly don't care much for looking buff or whatnot which is the misconception I had.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

supernova wrote:Very informative link. Much appreciated. I had the misconception that creatine merely just builds water retention in the muscles and gives a "buff" look without truly assisting in building strength. This article cleared up many questions and concerns I had regarding taking this. A few follow up questions:
My purpose is to get a bit more energy during workouts and to help build strength. I honestly don't care much for looking buff or whatnot which is the misconception I had.
I wouldn't bother with loading/cycling. Actually... that was discussed before.. You might find it helpful:

http://tacticalbarbell.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=376

Geidi

Post by Geidi »

supernova wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Sorntel wrote:

Agree. Safe to take.

Very informative link. Much appreciated. I had the misconception that creatine merely just builds water retention in the muscles and gives a "buff" look without truly assisting in building strength. This article cleared up many questions and concerns I had regarding taking this. A few follow up questions:

Monohydrate is the most established from a scientific standpoint. I use "Creapure" from Optimum Nutrition....works great. Creatine won't give you stimulant type energy if that's what you're thinking. It's a different kind of energy, the kind that allows you to work harder. It takes a couple weeks to really build up, but makes a big difference for me when it does kick in.