Protein bars or powders are your favorite?

nickgoldma

Protein bars or powders are your favorite?

Post by nickgoldma »

So as we all know, nothing beats good and proper nutrition aka, actual food. But for either the busy types who may not get a full meal in or what have you, what kind of protein bars do you prefer? Also, which powdered protein works best for your individual needs?

I like quest bars for protein bars. They're not as Sugary and is a decent source of protein. As for powders, there's a paleo protein out there I had good luck with a couple years back.

Feel free to drop recommendations to each other.
Get after it!

Aelian

Re: Protein bars or powders are your favorite?

Post by Aelian »

Quest is good ingredient-wise but I find the taste severely lacking. That being said it's hard to find a bar that doesn't taste like sugar coated cardboard.

I usually stick with Vega bars, chocolate-peanut butter.

NathanC77

Post by NathanC77 »

I like Quest bars, but I can't eat more than one a day usually without all the fiber in it messing with my stomach. But they're great pre or post workout if I haven't gotten enough protein yet that day or I can't eat right after. I like to eat them with Rice Krispy treats as well to get some easy to digest carbs in if I need them. I also like Rx Bars. They've usually only got a handful of ingredients, and if I think of all the ingredients presented as a meal rather than mashed together in a bar, I'd be pretty happy with the meal, so I don't feel guilty for eating them. The ingredients are usually something like egg whites, dates, some sort of nut, and cocoa or whatever flavor the bar is. However, they're pretty high calorie, high carb, and they don't have a ton of protein(12g I think). So I'll eat two of them (400 calories or so, 24g protein) sometimes if I don't have time to eat a real breakfast, and they work pretty well for that purpose.

I like this whey: http://nkdnutrition.com/products/chocolate-whey-protein . It's got no artificial sweeteners, just whey, cacao, and a small amount of sugar(5g). I have no idea if artificial sweeteners are actually harmful in any real way, but I do go out of my way to avoid processed crap and diet soda, so it doesn't make much sense to me to then eat a ton of stuff I can't pronounce in my whey protein. Most liquid shakes with just whey and water/milk mess with my stomach, so I like mixing it with either plain Greek yogurt or powdered peanut butter.

Green2Blue

Post by Green2Blue »

I use just plain whey isolate from Bulksupplements.com. I'm boring. No flavors or sweeteners.

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

I'm pretty habitual with taking casein at night and whey post-workout. Could be all placebo but I find that pre-bedtime casein hastens recovery. Not really too concerned with brand, but I usually go with Optimum.

mtguy1976

Post by mtguy1976 »

I really like After Action Recovery from https://www.18seriesnutrition.com
They are SOF owned and operated
I usually stay with the powders that use stevia, all the other sweetners give me headaches

MuftiMike

Post by MuftiMike »

mtguy1976 wrote:I really like After Action Recovery from https://www.18seriesnutrition.com
I usually stay with the powders that use stevia, all the other sweetners give me headaches
Awesome! Thanks, will check this coy out.

nickgoldma

Post by nickgoldma »

mtguy1976 wrote:I really like After Action Recovery from https://www.18seriesnutrition.com
Will def. check that out. Looks awesome.
Get after it!

xfitxm

Post by xfitxm »

I really like Revolution Nutrition Protein Punch. Orange and Grape are my favorites.

It's different than chocolate. It's more refreshing. It's like driking a juice. I add 1 or 2 Oz more of water so it's less concentrate.

I also use Kaizen from Costco because it's cheap and seems to be a good brand.

I wonder if something else taste kind of like Revolution punch.

Caleddin

Post by Caleddin »

Trader Joe's got some decent whey powders, chocolate or vanilla of course. They've got vitamins and other stuff in them so it's more of a general "supplement" than pure protein powder. For only protein, I've really liked Jarrow's whey powder. They have some flavors but I've always just used the neutral one and, unsurprisingly, it just tastes slightly milky. A mix of both works great to thicken up smoothies.