Conor McGregor's Nutritionist; Article

BlackPyjamas

Conor McGregor's Nutritionist; Article

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Good article...bear in mind it's more aimed at fighters and making weight but there's good info here on fueling for activity.
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/3/11 ... bout-carbs
My big takeaway was how important carbs are for anaerobic activity (like lifting/HIC) and how important fats are for aerobic activity. Talks about keto not being a good choice for athletes.

Edit, second Lockhart article with good pwo fuelling tips:

http://www.ufc.com/news/george-Lockhart ... -Diets?id=
Last edited by BlackPyjamas on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DocOctagon

Re: Conor McGregor's Nutritionist; Article

Post by DocOctagon »

One way to translate this for TB would be to go lower carb/higher fat during Base, and then reintroduce higher carb for Continuation.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

DocOctagon wrote:One way to translate this for TB would be to go lower carb/higher fat during Base, and then reintroduce higher carb for Continuation.
Interesting..... I wonder if there's any merit to taking this a little further by eating more carbs on strength & HIC days while going low carb/high fat on E or non-training days.

Where do you figure SE would land on the spectrum?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

TangoZero wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:One way to translate this for TB would be to go lower carb/higher fat during Base, and then reintroduce higher carb for Continuation.
Interesting..... I wonder if there's any merit to taking this a little further by eating more carbs on strength & HIC days while going low carb/high fat on E or non-training days.

Interesting. I have done kinda opposite. I doubled my carbs with BB and it did help a lot. Frankly, I tend to up my carbs every time I need to increase my calories. Only downside I see is water retention. Training wise I see only benefites Huge energy boost for both early morning LSS and HIC after carby dinner night before. I keep reasonable level of fat for hormones sake. But I don't do well on high fat diet.
Just my 2c.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

TangoZero wrote:

I'd wager SE requires carb. I don't think too many people can stay in the aerobic zone for Bravo circuits, or even Alpha.

Aelian

Post by Aelian »

Barkadion wrote:
TangoZero wrote:

Interesting. I have done kinda opposite. I doubled my carbs with BB and it did help a lot. Frankly, I tend to up my carbs every time I need to increase my calories. Only downside I see is water retention. Training wise I see only benefites Huge energy boost for both early morning LSS and HIC after carby dinner night before. I keep reasonable level of fat for hormones sake. But I don't do well on high fat diet.
Just my 2c.
Could be because of the SE rather than the LISS/E. Also I think Lockhart's definition of low carb isn't super low, as he seems to be against keto diets completely for athletes.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Aelian wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
TangoZero wrote:

Just my 2c.
Could be because of the SE rather than the LISS/E. Also I think Lockhart's definition of low carb isn't super low, as he seems to be against keto diets completely for athletes.
I did SE for 3 final weeks of my last BB. So, I'm not sure. Also, I think it is highly personal. I know guys who would die with high carb intake. And I feel dead with high fat diet. I'm curious if there is some proven genetic predisposition to to that..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

Aelian wrote:
TangoZero wrote:

I'd wager SE requires carb. I don't think too many people can stay in the aerobic zone for Bravo circuits, or even Alpha.
+1 on SE requiring carbs, unless you're in such good shape that you stay in aerobic mode while doing SE, which is a possibility.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Barkadion wrote:
Aelian wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Just my 2c.
I did SE for 3 final weeks of my last BB. So, I'm not sure. Also, I think it is highly personal. I know guys who would die with high carb intake. And I feel dead with high fat diet. I'm curious if there is some proven genetic predisposition to to that..
Have a look at the second article I just posted, good specific pwo info. From the article:

CARBS

During fight camp, hormones in the body change. During aerobic exercise, your body runs off mostly fat. Your brain runs mostly off glucose, so we have to fuel the brain. We have to fuel the brain without spiking insulin, so we eat apples, blackberries, strawberries, grapefruit, spinach, broccoli, asparagus.

The fructose will go to the liver without spiking insulin. If you spike insulin then your body will store energy, which if your body is already full, will be stored as fat.

PRE-WORKOUT

We give them simple sugars and easy-to-digest protein before a workout (either via Kefir or a shake).

During the workout they can have can have candy to prevent their insulin from going down. Licorice is loaded with dextrose. Rice Krispie Treats are awesome, too.

POST-WORKOUT

It’s not hard for an MMA fighter to burn 800 calories in a workout. After a workout we give them a fast-acting, simple carbohydrate such as dextrose or Fat Free Pringles. You want a 4 to 1 carb to protein ratio when you replenish the body. We like to use a protein shake with whey protein isolate plus dextrose because it’s fast-acting and easy to digest. Our athletes have a 20-minute window after a workout to take the shake. One hour later they eat a specific meal to recover.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

BlackPyjamas wrote:
Barkadion wrote:
Aelian wrote:
Have a look at the second article I just posted, good specific pwo info. From the article:

CARBS

During fight camp, hormones in the body change. During aerobic exercise, your body runs off mostly fat. Your brain runs mostly off glucose, so we have to fuel the brain. We have to fuel the brain without spiking insulin, so we eat apples, blackberries, strawberries, grapefruit, spinach, broccoli, asparagus.

The fructose will go to the liver without spiking insulin. If you spike insulin then your body will store energy, which if your body is already full, will be stored as fat.

PRE-WORKOUT

We give them simple sugars and easy-to-digest protein before a workout (either via Kefir or a shake).

During the workout they can have can have candy to prevent their insulin from going down. Licorice is loaded with dextrose. Rice Krispie Treats are awesome, too.

POST-WORKOUT

It’s not hard for an MMA fighter to burn 800 calories in a workout. After a workout we give them a fast-acting, simple carbohydrate such as dextrose or Fat Free Pringles. You want a 4 to 1 carb to protein ratio when you replenish the body. We like to use a protein shake with whey protein isolate plus dextrose because it’s fast-acting and easy to digest. Our athletes have a 20-minute window after a workout to take the shake. One hour later they eat a specific meal to recover.

I'm happy to hear these cutting edge nutritionists still use old school dextrose...been using it in my post-workout creatine-protein shakes for as long as I've been training. Good to know I made the right choice not spending $50-$70 on all the fancy post-workout carb formulas out there.