Diet rules or your quick and dirty rule of thumbs

Blackmetalbunny

Diet rules or your quick and dirty rule of thumbs

Post by Blackmetalbunny »

Let's admit it, when it comes to performance, strength and body recomp progress, nothing beats having a structured diet plan and programme.

However, let's also be honest, the ability of Tactical Barbell to mesh flexibility and continued progress is probably the key feature which drew most of us to Tactical Barbell to begin with.

In this line, what are you quick, down and dirty diet rule of thumb that you guys adhere to when you simply cannot follow your diet plan?

Mine's relatively simple:
1. At least 1g of protein per lb of target lean body mass per day, bare minimum of 100g of protein.
2. Have at least 20g of protein each meal
3. About 1.5g of carbs on days with conditioning or when I'm expecting high intensity work.
4. A lot less carbs, but at least .5g of fat per lb of target lean body on LSS days.

Anyone else uses such mental shortcuts or cues for your diet?

Geidi

Re: Diet rules or your quick and dirty rule of thumbs

Post by Geidi »

I would say the one thing I adhere to rain or shine is getting in at least 1 gram of protein per lb of body-weight.

BlackPyjamas

Post by BlackPyjamas »

All of my dieting is quick and dirty.

1. Make sure I've had 1gm protein/lb bodyweight before my head hits the pillow.
2. Eat 3-6 x day.
3. Eat a portion of carb the size of my palm at each meal.
4. Eat a serving of veggies each meal, any amount.
5. Eat a few almonds every day.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I follow some sort of auto-regulation. Eating to performance is another name for that.

Basically, I regulate my meal pattern depending on the after-training feelings and recovery. Normally, I eat to hunger and try to eat whole foods mostly. Don't restrict any macros and keep it simple. If my recovery goes down I simply eat more (increasing carbs nostly). Also, I found that certain amount of protein is important for calorie deficit/maintenance regimen. It is not that important if you on calorie surplus. Assuming you aren't protein deficient.

The diet should be goal driven after all. It will depend if you are chasing particular BF% or recomp or working toward PL meet.

Another point is that all serious changes in body composition should be assessed/re-assessed on a long run. Give your self a year of training and following certain diet pattern and see how it works. Short cuts and short terms can be too blurry to make a decision.

Maybe I am just getting old and tired of calorie calc game after all :lol:
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I don't even have any idea why I am chiming in because I'm sure that my answer isn't all that helpful or informative. I spent years trying track calories and macros and I just got tired of it. After all of that, I decided that I just wanted to eat healthy and enjoy life. So, yes, I do try to eat 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight but I don't always make it. I do supplement with protein powders and bars in order to try to get it all in. I do try to eat vegetables at lunch and dinner. I do try to stay away from sugary stuff. But I'm not a stickler about it. If my kid is having a birthday party or we go to a friend's house for dinner, I'm going to have a piece of cake and ice cream and ENJOY it.

So you asked for quick and dirty tips. Here are a few of mine:
  • Keep it simple. I eat the same breakfast almost every morning. Since I workout in the morning, I follow it up with a protein shake and an omelet or oatmeal. I eat the same snacks almost everyday.
    Eat balanced, but when you want that second serving (and you know that you do it, too), choose the protein over the carbs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against carbs. I love 'em and eat 'em. But if there's a choice I go with protein first.
    Eat to hunger (if you have no other goals in mind). Obviously, if you are trying to lose weight or gain weight then you have to eat at a caloric deficit or surplus, respectively.
    Snacks are a good thing, but snack with the right thing. Mine are usually a protein bar, a handful of nuts, or fruit of some kind (love an apple with peanut butter.
    Don't be so uptight about your diet that you make your family miserable. Sit down and enjoy the meal with them.
Again, I am not a nutritionist. I'm probably not near as strong as some of you guys on the forum. And I can learn a lot from you guys about nutrition. But these are my "go to" thoughts when I make decisions about food.