Calories Intake, Macros and TB progress

Barkadion

Calories Intake, Macros and TB progress

Post by Barkadion »

Just few thoughts from my personal experience.

I tend to stay just above my maintenance on regular basis. Meaning easy calorie surplus. Mostly eyeballing food and some counting as well.

Usually, it gives me good opportunity for recovery and I feel well. It does get changed at some point. I do stop counting and go up to +500ish and even more. Usually, during 2nd part of BB. I did upped my calories by 1K at some point. And I am doing it now with running 3rd block OWT from AA.

Here is what I noticed.

Macros split gets more important at this point. I am doing very well by consuming more carbs and regular amount of fat with keeping my usual protein. Meaning, I recover well and my BF even can go down a bit. Getting more fat and less/regular carbs throws me into dark whole. I don't recover well and do gain a bit of a BF. Another important thing is food choices. 95% of my intake is simple home made food. I mean very simple boiling and baking in the oven. That works the best for me.

Just sharing here.. Anyone has similar or different experience?

Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

travman

Re: Calories Intake, Macros and TB progress

Post by travman »

Barkadion wrote:Just few thoughts from my personal experience.

I tend to stay just above my maintenance on regular basis. Meaning easy calorie surplus. Mostly eyeballing food and some counting as well.

Usually, it gives me good opportunity for recovery and I feel well. It does get changed at some point. I do stop counting and go up to +500ish and even more. Usually, during 2nd part of BB. I did upped my calories by 1K at some point. And I am doing it now with running 3rd block OWT from AA.

Here is what I noticed.

Macros split gets more important at this point. I am doing very well by consuming more carbs and regular amount of fat with keeping my usual protein. Meaning, I recover well and my BF even can go down a bit. Getting more fat and less/regular carbs throws me into dark whole. I don't recover well and do gain a bit of a BF. Another important thing is food choices. 95% of my intake is simple home made food. I mean very simple boiling and baking in the oven. That works the best for me.

Thanks!

I am currently staying below my BMR, hitting a 600-1,000 caloric deficit a day. I have read a bit of The Renaissance Diet Book, which I recommend and I know other TB'ers have recommended it as well. I tend to eat more fat than carbs, for example my net carbs were 50g yesterday, but my fat was 95g, on a rest day. My recovery is fine, if I need to do a hard cardio day I up my carbs and drop my fats. I also meal prep, and keep it very basic, lots of chicken breasts, salmon, and veggies, greek yogurt, etc.

Something I would recommend to people who want to track their Macros is CRON-O-Meter. They have an app as well. It works great and it is easy to track my intake.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

travman wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Just few thoughts from my personal experience.

Here is what I noticed.

Thanks!

I am currently staying below my BMR, hitting a 600-1,000 caloric deficit a day. I have read a bit of The Renaissance Diet Book, which I recommend and I know other TB'ers have recommended it as well. I tend to eat more fat than carbs, for example my net carbs were 50g yesterday, but my fat was 95g, on a rest day. My recovery is fine, if I need to do a hard cardio day I up my carbs and drop my fats. I also meal prep, and keep it very basic, lots of chicken breasts, salmon, and veggies, greek yogurt, etc.

Something I would recommend to people who want to track their Macros is CORN-O-Meter. They have an app as well. It works great and it is easy to track my intake.
CRON-O-Meter is legit. I also use Fitocracy Macros app. Force of habit..

I'd probably die as grumpy old man on 50g of carbs :D On the other hand... I remember those days of cutting years and years ago.. That was painful experience but successful one..

travman

Post by travman »

Barkadion wrote:CRON-O-Meter is legit. I also use Fitocracy Macros app. Force of habit..

I'd probably die as grumpy old man on 50g of carbs :D On the other hand... I remember those days of cutting years and years ago.. That was painful experience but successful one..
Oh I am sure I was grumpy. Yes, cutting is hard for sure. I have to tell myself that I will be hungry.

I do have days that I slip up. I make up for it during the week.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

travman wrote:
Barkadion wrote:CRON-O-Meter is legit. I also use Fitocracy Macros app. Force of habit..

Oh I am sure I was grumpy. Yes, cutting is hard for sure. I have to tell myself that I will be hungry.

I do have days that I slip up. I make up for it during the week.
Cheat days are fun. You need to reset the system now and then..

ectional

Post by ectional »

So this is actually a good topic to come up.
Because what I thought of is that the point of TB is to be at a high performance level all year round, strength, conditioning, endurance all that... So with that in mind going into a caloric deficit to cut in bodybuilding terms doesn't make much sense due the loss in performance. But what else is there for people in need of losing some weight? An attempt at a recomp? Or just sacrificing short term performance by looking at the long term of keeping weight on is worse in the long run?

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

ectional wrote:So this is actually a good topic to come up.
Because what I thought of is that the point of TB is to be at a high performance level all year round, strength, conditioning, endurance all that... So with that in mind going into a caloric deficit to cut in bodybuilding terms doesn't make much sense due the loss in performance. But what else is there for people in need of losing some weight? An attempt at a recomp? Or just sacrificing short term performance by looking at the long term of keeping weight on is worse in the long run?
I believe anyone can loose fat by running TB with proper nutrition. I mean eating to perform which is calories surplus in my case. And I think you mean “loosing fat” when you say “loosing weight” since there is a difference.

Anyway, my 2 cents is eating to performance, paying attention to macros, and be patient with slow changed in your body comp.