Starving After LSS

spemma

Starving After LSS

Post by spemma »

when i do my weekly 1 hour LSS, i'm usually starving by the end of it. i typically eat an apple and 1.5 cups of cottage cheese about an hour before i run, but by the end of it, i'm ready to eat anything in sight. take this compared to MS, SE, or my BJJ, and i actually don't have much of an appetite immediately proceeding those activities.

when i was full paleo, this was one of the reasons that crowd was anti long distance/duration cardio. they would refer to it as "chronic cardio".

any tips for preventing?

Your_Lunch

Re: Starving After LSS

Post by Your_Lunch »

I'm happy to be wrong, and am only basing this on a couple of training books I've read, but...
LSS is usually in the lower heart rate range (50-70% or so), and it's my understanding that this range uses fat primarily as an energy source (as opposed to carbohydrates at higher HR), so increasing your fat intake may help stave off the starvation?

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

spemma wrote:when i do my weekly 1 hour LSS, i'm usually starving by the end of it. i typically eat an apple and 1.5 cups of cottage cheese about an hour before i run, but by the end of it, i'm ready to eat anything in sight. take this compared to MS, SE, or my BJJ, and i actually don't have much of an appetite immediately proceeding those activities.

when i was full paleo, this was one of the reasons that crowd was anti long distance/duration cardio. they would refer to it as "chronic cardio".

any tips for preventing?
What is wrong with being hungry after you run? It's been 2 hours since you had a small snack and you did an hour of activity.

If you were going at a higher intensity or for a longer distance/time you could actually look at intra workout/event nutrition.
I wouldn't bother or stress. Just eat after you finish.

I usually get really hungry mid way through my 1:30 min BJJ session, but I need to be careful how I eat before due to stomach issues.
With MS I could eat a massive hamburger and then go train with no issues at all.

Your body is also pretty smart and will adjust body functions based on the activity you are doing at the time.

100% Hill Sprints and your body will focus on those sprints. All you think about is getting air and completing those sprints.

Leisurely 50-70% trail run and your body can continue to do a variety of functions, e.g send hunger signals.

No scientific studies to pull up. Just my personal experience.

spemma

Post by spemma »

it's not just hungry, it's full on getting to hypoglycemic shaky hunger

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

spemma wrote:it's not just hungry, it's full on getting to hypoglycemic shaky hunger
I remember carrying camel bag with water and some sugar & salt added to it for the longer B.B. runs. 60-90 min runs. I was doing sips of the water during a run and it seemed to help a lot.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

spemma wrote:it's not just hungry, it's full on getting to hypoglycemic shaky hunger
Diabetes?
I usually only get like that if I don't eat properly the night before or when I used to drink alot before training.
If it is that bad it might be worth adding some nutrition in while you train. Something light and easy to digest.
I have used skittles in the past, but I don't recommend that hahaha.

Do you run in the arvo or morning?
I find I can train on an empty stomach before lunch time, but I need to eat for afternoon sessions.

spemma

Post by spemma »

usually i train after work, which sometimes can be later than 8pm. i try to eat a good snack before hand, but i can still be starving by the end of it.

similar to you, i can run in the morning on an empty stomach and not be hungry.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

spemma wrote:usually i train after work, which sometimes can be later than 8pm. i try to eat a good snack before hand, but i can still be starving by the end of it.

similar to you, i can run in the morning on an empty stomach and not be hungry.
Yeah definitely food is the issue then.
You might need to adjust your meal to something a bit more substantial prior to working out.
Alternatively you could load up with more food throughout the day.

Nothing wrong with a intra workout meal also but you shouldn't need that for an hour session if the rest is squared away.