Wim Hoff method

Will you give yourself to this program....?
Tym87

Re: Wim Hoff method

Post by Tym87 »

I ultimately tried the deep breathing excercises, but I felt sort of dumb just breathing on the floor and taking a cold shower. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I didn't feel superhuman. I just felt dumb and cold.

StayGrey

Post by StayGrey »

Tym87 wrote:I ultimately tried the deep breathing excercises, but I felt sort of dumb just breathing on the floor and taking a cold shower. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I didn't feel superhuman. I just felt dumb and cold.
Hahaha. Glad I'm not the only one. Cold showers didn't do squat for me other than wake me up.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Here is a blog about similar methods and benefits of cold. The linked story about the Russian children and cold exposure/ immune systems is pretty interesting- just don't know that it's life changing and cancer curing.

However, WimHof appears to be a snake oil salesman to me. Where there's smoke there's fire.

https://impossiblehq.com/cold-shower-health-benefits/

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Bit of a necro, but I recently started adding in ice baths and have been really enjoying it. I have done them before but not regularly.

It's summer here and I feel cool for a good hour after. Nothing crazy, I just grab two bags of ice and chuck them in a bath tub before submerging to my neck. I then work on getting my breathing back to normal. It only takes me 30-90 seconds now after 2 baths like the above. I stayed in for 20 mins and just focused on breathing whilst listening to an audio book (Wim Hof's actually).

I grew up in a state where I used to do a heap of cold water swimming and now I find a cold shower doesn't even bother me at all after this short period.

I have one in the afternoon (5-6 hours) after a hard morning training session. I am really enjoying it and looking to upgrade my ice bath options to something a bit more intense. I will eventually check the temperature in the bath and maybe not go this route as what I am doing is working. I can't imagine it's too cold, but I seem to be getting all the benefits with my current method.

godjira1

Post by godjira1 »

personally i enjoy cold showers (post workout).

cold baths in a nice onsen spa.. yes. ice baths at home, not really for me, fussy to set up (being in the tropics and all). that said, a bucket of ice water to soak your feet post a long run (half marathon and up) is quite a treat.
It ain't what you don’t know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain’t so.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

godjira1 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:01 pm personally i enjoy cold showers (post workout).

cold baths in a nice onsen spa.. yes. ice baths at home, not really for me, fussy to set up (being in the tropics and all). that said, a bucket of ice water to soak your feet post a long run (half marathon and up) is quite a treat.
I have been having cold showers most days lately, but I find they just aren't cold enough overall. I think I might have rapidly adjusted my body with the two 20 min baths I had as I probably went a bit hard too fast.

I have a spa at my place and was looking to set up a an outdoor ice bath so I can do contrast baths. It's been about a week due to life since I last had one and 2 weeks for the spa and I definitely miss it.