Academy - Firearms and Tactical Training Tips

Will you give yourself to this program....?
spemma

Academy - Firearms and Tactical Training Tips

Post by spemma »

i'm at a LE academy now, and as someone without prior experience in LE, i find the firearms and tactical training to be something very new to deal with, mentally-speaking.

i've been practicing both a ton, so at least the mechanics are something that i can dedicate less mental resources to.

but with regards to firearms, meaning marksmanship courses, and tactical training, meaning basic SWAT operator room entries and clearing, what suggestions would you guys have to bring my performance psychology up to snuff?

for both, it feels like a confidence issue more than anything.

so for those who are in LE and had to make the same or a similar transition, what tips would you have? specifically with regards to the academy setting.

close_fox

Re: Academy - Firearms and Tactical Training Tips

Post by close_fox »

spemma wrote:i'm at a LE academy now, and as someone without prior experience in LE, i find the firearms and tactical training to be something very new to deal with, mentally-speaking.

i've been practicing both a ton, so at least the mechanics are something that i can dedicate less mental resources to.

but with regards to firearms, meaning marksmanship courses, and tactical training, meaning basic SWAT operator room entries and clearing, what suggestions would you guys have to bring my performance psychology up to snuff?

Practice, practice, practice. When you make a mistake, own it and move on immediately. Dwelling on it and analyzing why you did X instead of Y will not fix it. Do it again the right way. Again, again, again. Replace one bad rep with many good ones physically and mentally.

I have seen a lot of cerebral type guys struggle with these skills. They want to do the absolutely "correct" thing...They want to be able to intellectually discern all the options, separate correct from incorrect, and then act correctly. That's just not how it works in a stack. I have seen many not make it because their "thinking" is actually "indecision" and it prevents them from processing stimulus and executing the required skills. Don't let that be you.

so for those who are in LE and had to make the same or a similar transition, what tips would you have? specifically with regards to the academy setting.

1. Trust the reason you are at the academy. You were hired just like everyone else in your class. You deserve to be there just as much as they do. Your agency decided you have what it takes, to the exclusion of who knows how many other people. What happens next (whether or not you perform to the standard) is entirely up to you.

2. Your lack of tactical experience is only a disadvantage if you allow it to be one. "Blank slates" can be the best type of student to work with IF they have a good attitude and are able to learn. Experienced people have to unlearn their habits (good and bad) to some degree when they join a new organization. I have worked with plenty of BTDT dudes who couldn't (more like wouldn't) do it our way. Good habits in one organization can be bad habits in another organization. Experienced guys are great if they can adapt their experience to doing it our way. If they can't, it is almost always a problem. The special ones learn it our way and then suggest alternatives based on their prior experience. I have seen some great solutions develop when that happens. But it's rare.

3. Think objectively and realistically about what is required of you. The purpose of any initial training program is to train everyone to the organization's lowest acceptable standard. That doesn't mean it's easy, or that everyone can do it. But it also means it's nowhere close to impossible.

4. Don't compare yourself to others in your class. I'm sure there are few students in your class who appear to be doing everything perfectly. Maybe so, maybe not. Either way, don't waste your time. You aren't qualified to judge your own performance, much less someone else's. Be especially careful about obtaining "help" from fellow students. They are students just like you. It's a fine line. You can definitely learn by watching others, but instructors are doing the teaching for a reason.
"You oughta know not to stand by the window. Somebody see you up there." Talking Heads. "Life During Wartime." Fear of Music, Sire, 1979.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

^^^Not much more to add to this. Solid post.

spemma

Post by spemma »

that was a very powerful post and felt like it spoke to me directly. i've read it multiple times since the time you've posted it.

all i can say is thank you.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

close_fox wrote:
spemma wrote:i'm at a LE academy now, and as someone without prior experience in LE, i find the firearms and tactical training to be something very new to deal with, mentally-speaking.

Practice, practice, practice. When you make a mistake, own it and move on immediately. Dwelling on it and analyzing why you did X instead of Y will not fix it. Do it again the right way. Again, again, again. Replace one bad rep with many good ones physically and mentally.

I have seen a lot of cerebral type guys struggle with these skills. They want to do the absolutely "correct" thing...They want to be able to intellectually discern all the options, separate correct from incorrect, and then act correctly. That's just not how it works in a stack. I have seen many not make it because their "thinking" is actually "indecision" and it prevents them from processing stimulus and executing the required skills. Don't let that be you.

1. Trust the reason you are at the academy. You were hired just like everyone else in your class. You deserve to be there just as much as they do. Your agency decided you have what it takes, to the exclusion of who knows how many other people. What happens next (whether or not you perform to the standard) is entirely up to you.

2. Your lack of tactical experience is only a disadvantage if you allow it to be one. "Blank slates" can be the best type of student to work with IF they have a good attitude and are able to learn. Experienced people have to unlearn their habits (good and bad) to some degree when they join a new organization. I have worked with plenty of BTDT dudes who couldn't (more like wouldn't) do it our way. Good habits in one organization can be bad habits in another organization. Experienced guys are great if they can adapt their experience to doing it our way. If they can't, it is almost always a problem. The special ones learn it our way and then suggest alternatives based on their prior experience. I have seen some great solutions develop when that happens. But it's rare.

3. Think objectively and realistically about what is required of you. The purpose of any initial training program is to train everyone to the organization's lowest acceptable standard. That doesn't mean it's easy, or that everyone can do it. But it also means it's nowhere close to impossible.

4. Don't compare yourself to others in your class. I'm sure there are few students in your class who appear to be doing everything perfectly. Maybe so, maybe not. Either way, don't waste your time. You aren't qualified to judge your own performance, much less someone else's. Be especially careful about obtaining "help" from fellow students. They are students just like you. It's a fine line. You can definitely learn by watching others, but instructors are doing the teaching for a reason.
Great post. Especially the blank slate. When I went through I had experience and some other people did also. I did weird shit,so did another guy and we got nailed a few times. Him for checking To his rear on the range and me for do extra I/A drills instead of the drill they taught. What we did wasn’t wrong but wasn’t relevant to the training environment and way they operated. Relearning sucked and I still have problems with clearing stoppages further than I am meant to.

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

close_fox wrote:

Fantastic post by @closefox, applies to most disciplines.

There's an excellent sports psychology book that might help called With Winning In Mind, actually written by an Olympic Gold medalist (shooter). It's not so much about the shooting, rather it's for developing the kind of mindset to work through pressure. That it happens to be written by a shooter might be a bonus for your situation!