Combat Breathing?

Will you give yourself to this program....?
StayGrey

Re: Combat Breathing?

Post by StayGrey »

Combat breathing's usually situational, right before and right after a high stress situation. I could be wrong but I think the boys over at SEALfit incorporate 5 or 10 minutes of box breathing before WODs too.

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

I do it throughout the day. One minute here one minute there. Few minutes here and there. All depends on the kind of day I'm having. If I'm getting ready to go into a high-stress situation I'm typically doing it before I get there. If I'm in one and have the opportunity to take a breath usually a few times through brings me back down to normal. I use it to go to sleep as well sometimes.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:I do it throughout the day. One minute here one minute there. Few minutes here and there. All depends on the kind of day I'm having. If I'm getting ready to go into a high-stress situation I'm typically doing it before I get there. If I'm in one and have the opportunity to take a breath usually a few times through brings me back down to normal. I use it to go to sleep as well sometimes.
Is there a book I can look into to read more about this technique? I'm interested in giving it a try as one form of stress management

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

Tyr0331 wrote:
grouchyjarhead wrote:I do it throughout the day. One minute here one minute there. Few minutes here and there. All depends on the kind of day I'm having. If I'm getting ready to go into a high-stress situation I'm typically doing it before I get there. If I'm in one and have the opportunity to take a breath usually a few times through brings me back down to normal. I use it to go to sleep as well sometimes.
Is there a book I can look into to read more about this technique? I'm interested in giving it a try as one form of stress management
What I was taught; inhale for a 4 count, hold for a 4 count, exhale for 4 count hold at the bottom for 4 count. Repeat for several cycles or 5-10 minutes+. Also known as box breathing.

You can do it before a stressful event, after a stressful event, first thing in the morning, or in the evening before bed.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

Ten8 wrote:
Tyr0331 wrote:
What I was taught; inhale for a 4 count, hold for a 4 count, exhale for 4 count hold at the bottom for 4 count. Repeat for several cycles or 5-10 minutes+. Also known as box breathing.

You can do it before a stressful event, after a stressful event, first thing in the morning, or in the evening before bed.
I read that off a few sites when I googled it, I would just like to read some theory on it. But I'll start using this method see how it works. Thanks

grouchyjarhead

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Check out Grossman's "On Combat" book for more information on tactical breathing.

Tyr0331

Post by Tyr0331 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:Check out Grossman's "On Combat" book for more information on tactical breathing.
Okay just picked it up. Plan on making this a priority read. Wish I had a network like this when I first got out of the service. This forum is one of the best I've been apart of so thank you

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

The "Relaxation Response" by Dr. Herbert Benson is another good read on the effects of meditative practices on stress and the fight/flight response.