Meditation

Will you give yourself to this program....?
Moz69

Re: Meditation

Post by Moz69 »

There is a lot research into the benefits of meditation that I've come across, will try and dig them out
An old Scottish friend once said to me "A queer bird the fish" I never bloody knew what he meant.

Ten8

Post by Ten8 »

If you guys are interested in the hard science, there's a wonderful book out there written by a brain surgeon no less called "Zen and the Brain". The author's a meditator himself.

K.B.
Site Admin

Post by K.B. »

Ten8 wrote:If you guys are interested in the hard science, there's a wonderful book out there written by a brain surgeon no less called "Zen and the Brain". The author's a meditator himself.
Great recommendation Ten8, this is one of source materials for The Arena.

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

@K.B. I don't want to put you on the spot, but do you have a working release date for The Arena? I'd love to read that prior to January!

fffrmaz

Post by fffrmaz »

FYI to everyone. "Zen and the Brain" can be found at amazon for less than $2.50

Sorntel

Post by Sorntel »

fffrmaz wrote:
Sorntel wrote:I'd be interested in learning more about this myself...I've experimented here and there but nothing regular and don't really know where to start. Anyone know anything about Transcendental Meditation?
Be careful with TM. I know people who have said they find it beneficial. But TM is often expensive to get into (like thousands of dollars expensive) and you can find several mediation techniques online for free or for very little cost. I can't tell you that it is or isn't worth it. But it seems excessive to me.
Fffrmaz, when you say "be careful" do you mean strictly from a monetary point of view, or because of side effects? On that note, just out of curiosity do the TM-ers you know seem like grounded people, or do you find them a touch "spacey" or out of it?

fffrmaz

Post by fffrmaz »

Sorntel wrote:
fffrmaz wrote:
Sorntel wrote:I'd be interested in learning more about this myself...I've experimented here and there but nothing regular and don't really know where to start. Anyone know anything about Transcendental Meditation?
Be careful with TM. I know people who have said they find it beneficial. But TM is often expensive to get into (like thousands of dollars expensive) and you can find several mediation techniques online for free or for very little cost. I can't tell you that it is or isn't worth it. But it seems excessive to me.
Fffrmaz, when you say "be careful" do you mean strictly from a monetary point of view, or because of side effects? On that note, just out of curiosity do the TM-ers you know seem like grounded people, or do you find them a touch "spacey" or out of it?
More from a monetary sense.

Some TM also centers around some pretty flakey stuff. I'm not sure if that's TM As whole or just individuals in the organization. I think Penn and Teller did a show on it when they were doing "Penn and Tellers bullshit"

Tym87

Post by Tym87 »

David Lynch the maker of Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet does TM. You could potentially become an insane filmmaker if you need a new career path. 8-)

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Tym87 wrote:David Lynch the maker of Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet does TM. You could potentially become an insane filmmaker if you need a new career path. 8-)
As long as you don't kill Lora Palmer..
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich »

I'll second "Mindfulness in Plain English", excellent book. Another good one is "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind".