Meditation

Will you give yourself to this program....?
Conor78

Re: Meditation

Post by Conor78 »

I have read quite a bit about meditation but the killer app for me has been Headspace by Andy Puddicombe. I have been using it consistently for over 2 years and have really felt the benefits from doing so.

Xray

Post by Xray »

Conor78 wrote:I have read quite a bit about meditation but the killer app for me has been Headspace by Andy Puddicombe. I have been using it consistently for over 2 years and have really felt the benefits from doing so.
Thanks for the recommendation, I've been looking for something simple to get started....well at least until the Arena makes it's appearance!

Norcoaster

Post by Norcoaster »

Would add my encouragement to anyone considering adding meditation or mindfulness practice. I am about 1 year in, definitively feel a benefit. Eventually the mindset will hopefully carry over to more of daily activities - ahnold (governator) has talked about initially formally meditating then eventually taking this to his workouts etc.

I use the insight timer app, many good free guided meditations. I occasionally use the wim hof approach when I am low on sleep, I seem to get an energy boost from it.

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic »

Norcoaster wrote:Would add my encouragement to anyone considering adding meditation or mindfulness practice. I am about 1 year in, definitively feel a benefit. Eventually the mindset will hopefully carry over to more of daily activities - ahnold (governator) has talked about initially formally meditating then eventually taking this to his workouts etc.

I use the insight timer app, many good free guided meditations. I occasionally use the wim hof approach when I am low on sleep, I seem to get an energy boost from it.
Thanks for the input. When you say you use the Wi Hof approach, what are you doing exactly? He seems to run the gamut from cold water immersion to breathing exercises.

PeterHealey

Post by PeterHealey »

I have been using 'Centering Prayer' meditation as a daily practice for about the past 4 years. It has made a significant difference in all aspects of my life. Fr. Thomas Keating in all his works would be a good resource.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Sorntel wrote:I'd be interested in learning more about this myself...I've experimented here and there but nothing regular and don't really know where to start. Anyone know anything about Transcendental Meditation?
I've just ordered this book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15854 ... UTF8&psc=1

I've heard good feedback about that.
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Is anyone using music for meditation? I am getting into Carlos Nakai world now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrluNutLNpc

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

fffrmaz wrote:yes. I've been practicing for 19 years now. I really like the app "headspace". As far as meditation apps go it's the only one I've seen that actually teaches meditation technique. There's no music, no white noise, just instruction and silence. It's well worth purchasing. If you're looking for a book, I really liked "the joy of living". It's also a good instruction manual and the author puts the concepts into easy to understand language and ideas. It doesn't have any hippy-dippy stuff in it. No new age bullshit. Just practice.
I've just downloaded the app. It is free now. Thank you for the recommendation.