Sleep

Will you give yourself to this program....?
Barkadion

Sleep

Post by Barkadion »

Do you use any form of mediation or just mind tricks to help yourself with the sleep?

I am on constant lack of sleep due my little twin babies. So, I am curious if there is a way to improve a quality of a sleep (at least) if I can't get enough hours..

Thanks!
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

DocOctagon

Re: Sleep

Post by DocOctagon »

Barkadion wrote:Do you use any form of mediation or just mind tricks to help yourself with the sleep?

I am on constant lack of sleep due my little twin babies. So, I am curious if there is a way to improve a quality of a sleep (at least) if I can't get enough hours..

Thanks!
Try 2-3 grams of glycine an hour or two before bed. You'll sleep like a baby when you do fall asleep. Don't expect it to make you feel drowsy before you go to sleep though, it's not really a sedative but it does makes some people feel a little calmer.

Read this book https://www.amazon.com/Relaxation-Respo ... 0380006766 and try it out in the evening on an empty stomach. I wouldn't recommend doing it too close to bedtime, as it can energize some people and keep you awake. Instead do it just before dinner or after you get home from work. The overall relaxation effect will kick in later in the evening and prime you for a good sleep. You don't need to read the book, you can find the instructions online. But the background info on the technique and it's effects on stress and cortisol are worth reading about imo.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

I use a mindfulness app to clear my mind when I can. I do a heap of shift work and right now I am all over the place.
When I get home I just chuck on the app and it helps me clear my mind and next thing I know I am asleep.

What you are after is those guided meditation type apps. You should be able to find some free on your phones app store.

I also have been having some luck splitting my sleep into separate blocks lately.
I may get home at 7am sleep till 11am and then go to BJJ. I will then come home and eat and have another block of sleep. Then a meal followed by work. You could do the same and work out a short time with the other half to allow you to each get a bit of time to catch up on the missed sleep throughout the day.

I know you are probably trying to spend some time with the little ones and other half, but a short hour and a half block of sleep will do you wonders. It will make you a happier person when you spend time with them all.

Saying the above, that is all stuff that works for me and I am not fully aware of your home situation.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

DocOctagon wrote:
Barkadion wrote:Do you use any form of mediation or just mind tricks to help yourself with the sleep?

Thanks!
Try 2-3 grams of glycine an hour or two before bed. You'll sleep like a baby when you do fall asleep. Don't expect it to make you feel drowsy before you go to sleep though, it's not really a sedative but it does makes some people feel a little calmer.

Read this book https://www.amazon.com/Relaxation-Respo ... 0380006766 and try it out in the evening on an empty stomach. I wouldn't recommend doing it too close to bedtime, as it can energize some people and keep you awake. Instead do it just before dinner or after you get home from work. The overall relaxation effect will kick in later in the evening and prime you for a good sleep. You don't need to read the book, you can find the instructions online. But the background info on the technique and it's effects on stress and cortisol are worth reading about imo.
Thank you Doc, really appreciate your respond. I've ordered the book. Interestingly enough, Dr. Herbert Benson is from where I live and I worked at BIDMC myself in the past.. It's gonna be good reading for sure!

My in-laws use the glycine... so I will give it a shot as soon as I can get a pills from them.

It's time to address my sleep deprivation for sure..

I will update the thread with my experience.
Last edited by Barkadion on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

Maxrip13 wrote:I use a mindfulness app to clear my mind when I can. I do a heap of shift work and right now I am all over the place.
When I get home I just chuck on the app and it helps me clear my mind and next thing I know I am asleep.

What you are after is those guided meditation type apps. You should be able to find some free on your phones app store.

I also have been having some luck splitting my sleep into separate blocks lately.
I may get home at 7am sleep till 11am and then go to BJJ. I will then come home and eat and have another block of sleep. Then a meal followed by work. You could do the same and work out a short time with the other half to allow you to each get a bit of time to catch up on the missed sleep throughout the day.

I know you are probably trying to spend some time with the little ones and other half, but a short hour and a half block of sleep will do you wonders. It will make you a happier person when you spend time with them all.

Saying the above, that is all stuff that works for me and I am not fully aware of your home situation.
Thanks MR! Sleep block might not be achievable for me.. There is always something to do if you have a min in my household.. :D

I do know that even brief 10-15min naps (aka power naps) can bring huge relief and they help a lot, though..

Gotta dig into the iphone apps.. That sounds easy to try. Thanks!

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

One of the Ross's great points.. I am re-reading this one now..

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2009/02/17 ... a-newborn/

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

Maxrip13 wrote: I may get home at 7am sleep till 11am and then go to BJJ. I will then come home and eat and have another block of sleep. Then a meal followed by work. You could do the same and work out a short time with the other half to allow you to each get a bit of time to catch up on the missed sleep throughout the day.
Now that is dedication. My days in between nightshifts are usually a write off.

Saracen

Post by Saracen »

DocOctagon wrote:

Thanks!

Gave the glycine a try last night...you weren't kidding! Once I fell asleep I went deep. Was a little groggy after waking up, but after my morning coffee I felt like a million bucks. Haven't felt this well rested in a long time. Thanks for the recommendation.

Barkadion

Post by Barkadion »

I am having experience similar to Saracen.. I've tried it 2 times so far. It does the job of pushing you into deep heavy sleep. It also gives me hangover.. really reminds me my college days.. lol. But training through hangover fog isn't fun. I will give it another shot to see if body can adjust to it somehow.

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

Saracen wrote:
Maxrip13 wrote: I may get home at 7am sleep till 11am and then go to BJJ. I will then come home and eat and have another block of sleep. Then a meal followed by work. You could do the same and work out a short time with the other half to allow you to each get a bit of time to catch up on the missed sleep throughout the day.
Now that is dedication. My days in between nightshifts are usually a write off.
Haha I am far from perfect at sticking to it, but I try to get my training in early so I can take days off when I really need them. That way if unexpected over time on night shift pops up I can take that write off day because my training is done. Today is a perfect example of this after a weekend with barely 4 hours sleep total. I will rest up today and train midday tomorrow before a twilight shift tomorrow.