Meditation for police officer development

Will you give yourself to this program....?
Conor78

Re: Meditation for police officer development

Post by Conor78 »

I would highly recommend the Headspace app. Amazing app. I work in a fairly stressful environment and it's been a game changer. Have been using it for over 3 years nearly every day.

Pete NZ

Post by Pete NZ »

alottadav wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:

What's your personal experience with this? How is it affecting your day to day?.....cheers
I don't have the software/plug in for phone- I've primarily just had a few hours of coursework on the subject through my agency.
Seen enough tests etc and personal exercises to be a big believer in it.

Biggest thing I can say is how I am conscious about it now, and to RESET myself once elevated etc... For instance if something happens and HR spikes after a stop/ clearing house whatever it is.

Once I am in a position to Reset I always do. If there's a lull where I can focus on breath I will, afterwards while back in the car etc I'll take a min or two and reset breath. Otherwise, your HR will stay elevated for an extra amount of time/ hormone levels etc involved.

I PERSONALLY FEEL (i know, feelings, not facts) that it helps me longevity wise, as well as lets me ease back down at the end of the shift. Smoother transition when coming home and going to bed etc instead of being wired. Less burn out and such.

I'm a Texas cowboy type, but learning that there's more than meets the eye to all the Zen/ Breathe/ Be the water/ chill things out there. You just ahve to take out the Copenhagen to do it!

Hi there - I’m curious to know what is the breathing reset you’ve been doing? I can completely relate to being wired when I get home, so it would be great to have another tool to prevent burnout

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Pete NZ wrote:
alottadav wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:

What's your personal experience with this? How is it affecting your day to day?.....cheers
I don't have the software/plug in for phone- I've primarily just had a few hours of coursework on the subject through my agency.
Seen enough tests etc and personal exercises to be a big believer in it.

Biggest thing I can say is how I am conscious about it now, and to RESET myself once elevated etc... For instance if something happens and HR spikes after a stop/ clearing house whatever it is.

Once I am in a position to Reset I always do. If there's a lull where I can focus on breath I will, afterwards while back in the car etc I'll take a min or two and reset breath. Otherwise, your HR will stay elevated for an extra amount of time/ hormone levels etc involved.

I PERSONALLY FEEL (i know, feelings, not facts) that it helps me longevity wise, as well as lets me ease back down at the end of the shift. Smoother transition when coming home and going to bed etc instead of being wired. Less burn out and such.

I'm a Texas cowboy type, but learning that there's more than meets the eye to all the Zen/ Breathe/ Be the water/ chill things out there. You just ahve to take out the Copenhagen to do it!

Hi there - I’m curious to know what is the breathing reset you’ve been doing? I can completely relate to being wired when I get home, so it would be great to have another tool to prevent burnout
nothing crazy, any type of box breathing will work. Basics are 4 seconds slow inhale, hold for 3-4 seconds, 4 second exhale. theresa ton of different variations. Best thing to do is lay flat if you can- and spend 5 min doing slow deep diaphragm breathing.

If you have a fitbit/garmin/ any HR measurement tool- you'll be able to see a huge difference in those numbers.

Pete NZ

Post by Pete NZ »

Great - thank you!