Meditation for police officer development

Will you give yourself to this program....?
Barkadion

Meditation for police officer development

Post by Barkadion »

Interesting..

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/arizona-po ... d=45966480

“In policing, it’s essential that we respond. We don’t react. Without a doubt I think the [meditation] practice shows promise, getting us to be present, not take triggers, not take the bait that makes us react and if the practice can get us to see the perspective of another to enhance our compassion, then I think it does lend itself to broader application in policing.”
"Man is what he reads." - Joseph Brodsky

BlackPyjamas

Re: Meditation for police officer development

Post by BlackPyjamas »

Good video. Nice to see TB is ahead of the curve with promoting meditation and mental performance....speaking of--- what's the update with The Arena book? @KB

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

Another good resource is Heart Math. I don't have any hyper links or power points at the moment as it's all on my work hard drive- however my agency has a good amount of training with this and it's phenomenal.

It falls in line with meditation and combat breathing etc...- but goes more into the physiological and psychological aspects behind it all.

Highly suggest it, they also have a plug in for your phone where you can measure which "state" you're in. Helping you reasses when you've come down after an elevated HR state.

In LE work, HR spikes something like 15-17x a day, and has adverse reactions as well- combine this with excessive caffeine abuse/ poor sleep/ working out- that's a lot of UP, and not much DOWN regulation.

Off my tangent.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

alottadav wrote:Another good resource is Heart Math. I don't have any hyper links or power points at the moment as it's all on my work hard drive- however my agency has a good amount of training with this and it's phenomenal.

It falls in line with meditation and combat breathing etc...- but goes more into the physiological and psychological aspects behind it all.

Highly suggest it, they also have a plug in for your phone where you can measure which "state" you're in. Helping you reasses when you've come down after an elevated HR state.

In LE work, HR spikes something like 15-17x a day, and has adverse reactions as well- combine this with excessive caffeine abuse/ poor sleep/ working out- that's a lot of UP, and not much DOWN regulation.

Off my tangent.
Thanks, looks like a good resource. I'm going to see what I can dig up on it. "Excessive caffeine use"....check. Can't do a nightshift without it.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

TangoZero wrote:
alottadav wrote:Another good resource is Heart Math.

Off my tangent.
Thanks, looks like a good resource. I'm going to see what I can dig up on it. "Excessive caffeine use"....check. Can't do a nightshift without it.
I'm no expert on this- but in regards to caffeine, read up on magnesium supplementation. Marksdailyapple.com or Charles poliquin had some good info on it

I recently picked some up and have started giving that a shot. Seems to be rather effective- could be placebo though.

TangoZero

Post by TangoZero »

alottadav wrote:
TangoZero wrote:
alottadav wrote:Another good resource is Heart Math.

Off my tangent.
I'm no expert on this- but in regards to caffeine, read up on magnesium supplementation. Marksdailyapple.com or Charles poliquin had some good info on it

I recently picked some up and have started giving that a shot. Seems to be rather effective- could be placebo though.
The magnesium seems to be helping...I could be imagining things but it might even be re-sensitizing me to the caffeine.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

TangoZero wrote:
alottadav wrote:
TangoZero wrote:

The magnesium seems to be helping...I could be imagining things but it might even be re-sensitizing me to the caffeine.

I seem to experience similar effects. The magnesium also helps me "de compress" after a long day- or at least placebo affect lol.

Glad it's helping

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

alottadav wrote:Another good resource is Heart Math. I don't have any hyper links or power points at the moment as it's all on my work hard drive- however my agency has a good amount of training with this and it's phenomenal.

Off my tangent.

What's your personal experience with this? How is it affecting your day to day?.....cheers

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

DocOctagon wrote:

What's your personal experience with this? How is it affecting your day to day?.....cheers
I don't have the software/plug in for phone- I've primarily just had a few hours of coursework on the subject through my agency.
Seen enough tests etc and personal exercises to be a big believer in it.

Biggest thing I can say is how I am conscious about it now, and to RESET myself once elevated etc... For instance if something happens and HR spikes after a stop/ clearing house whatever it is.

Once I am in a position to Reset I always do. If there's a lull where I can focus on breath I will, afterwards while back in the car etc I'll take a min or two and reset breath. Otherwise, your HR will stay elevated for an extra amount of time/ hormone levels etc involved.

I PERSONALLY FEEL (i know, feelings, not facts) that it helps me longevity wise, as well as lets me ease back down at the end of the shift. Smoother transition when coming home and going to bed etc instead of being wired. Less burn out and such.

I'm a Texas cowboy type, but learning that there's more than meets the eye to all the Zen/ Breathe/ Be the water/ chill things out there. You just ahve to take out the Copenhagen to do it!

DocOctagon

Post by DocOctagon »

alottadav wrote:
DocOctagon wrote:

I don't have the software/plug in for phone- I've primarily just had a few hours of coursework on the subject through my agency.
Seen enough tests etc and personal exercises to be a big believer in it.

Biggest thing I can say is how I am conscious about it now, and to RESET myself once elevated etc... For instance if something happens and HR spikes after a stop/ clearing house whatever it is.

Once I am in a position to Reset I always do. If there's a lull where I can focus on breath I will, afterwards while back in the car etc I'll take a min or two and reset breath. Otherwise, your HR will stay elevated for an extra amount of time/ hormone levels etc involved.

I PERSONALLY FEEL (i know, feelings, not facts) that it helps me longevity wise, as well as lets me ease back down at the end of the shift. Smoother transition when coming home and going to bed etc instead of being wired. Less burn out and such.

I'm a Texas cowboy type, but learning that there's more than meets the eye to all the Zen/ Breathe/ Be the water/ chill things out there. You just ahve to take out the Copenhagen to do it!
Interesting...thanks. I can see how constantly monitoring your stress levels and dealing with them can add up to big-time benefits over time.