Leadership reading material

Will you give yourself to this program....?
grouchyjarhead

Re: Leadership reading material

Post by grouchyjarhead »

Maxrip13 wrote:Everyone keeps recommending extreme ownership by Jocko WILLINK.

I read his other book, Discipline, and thought it was terrible. I read it in a bit more than an hour and came away pretty underwhelmed.
Has anyone read both and can tell me how they compare?

I am not interested in a book that tells me to get up earlier or that I need to just do things.
I already know and do this.
That is a Facebook or blog post topic.Not a book.

If it is just another book spread out with minimal words on pages and full of quotes then I am not interested.
If you listen to his podcasts, it really doesn't do much for you. A lot of it is already mentioned in his podcasts. It's a nice bathroom reader and some of his workout and nutrition advice is interesting but I wasn't too impressed either.

alottadav

Post by alottadav »

grouchyjarhead wrote:

I read his other book, Discipline, and thought it was terrible. I read it in a bit more than an hour and came away pretty underwhelmed.

I am not interested in a book that tells me to get up earlier or that I need to just do things.

If it is just another book spread out with minimal words on pages and full of quotes then I am not interested.
If you listen to his podcasts, it really doesn't do much for you. A lot of it is already mentioned in his podcasts. It's a nice bathroom reader and some of his workout and nutrition advice is interesting but I wasn't too impressed either.

I also hated EXTREME OWNERSHIP, Fwiw.

I felt like it was the same thing repeated over and over every chapter.

Discipline Equals Freedom is something I do enjoy, and read a segment periodically just as reminders for mental toughness.
Just to refer to it and realize " nobody cares. work fucking harder"

EDITED TO ADD

Endurance: Shackleton's incredible voyage- is a phenomenal story about leadership, his men literally followed him to the end of the earth.

Even a quick Wiki search on it is great

Maxrip13

Post by Maxrip13 »

grouchyjarhead wrote:

Is the workout and nutrition advice in Extreme Ownership ? I bought discipline because I thought it was in that one. To be honest whatever was in it was so underwhelming I wouldn't be able to tell you what it said. I think he says no carbs ... every time I think of the book I just immediately picture the Nike tick with "Just do it" under it.

I wanted to like him because of his background and Dean Lister for BJJ, but I am really pissed off I bought that book. I never usually get bothered by this sort of thing so I don't know why it annoys me so much.

travman

Post by travman »

Maxrip13 wrote:
travman wrote:

You just saved me $10 :D
Haha glad to hear.

I am so disappointed. I usually don't really care but I could fit the contents of the book in a post on here.

The book is basically the Nike slogan:"Just do it"

I am sure the guy is alright but it left a real sour taste in my mouth.
Jocko's podcasts are good. More importantly I think his topics with his attitude is needed. I just hope it reaches the right audience.

ectional

Post by ectional »

Phil Jackson's "Eleven Rings" has some good stuff about managing big egos. NBA fans definitely know who that is but for those who don't: Phil Jackson is one of the all time best NBA coaches who has coached stars like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. All of who had huge egos and often clashed with others (coaches, teammates etc.) even though they all had the same goal of winning.